Forums

SUGGESTION(s) for Chess.com tournaments

Sort:
JJN2

There needs to be variations for the FORMAT of the tournaments on chess.com. I feel that this would INCREASE the number of players that would participate in chess.com tournaments. I have been trying to be heard by a Chess.com Staff member for over a year. I have many suggestions for new formats, and have conducted some OTB tournaments in the county. I feel very qualified to give these suggestions.

artfizz
JJN2 wrote:

There needs to be variations for the FORMAT of the tournaments on chess.com. I feel that this would INCREASE the number of players that would participate in chess.com tournaments. I have been trying to be heard by a Chess.com Staff member for over a year. I have many suggestions for new formats, and have conducted some OTB tournaments in the county. I feel very qualified to give these suggestions.

Undoubtably chess.com staff and members are looking forward to hearing your ideas.

You may be aware that there are currently over 600 upcoming tournaments, and already around 20 customisable parameters at the point of tournament creation.

1pawndown

So what are these ideas?

checkmateibeatu
1pawndown wrote:

So what are these ideas?

+1

JJN2
artfizz wrote:
JJN2 wrote:

Undoubtably chess.com staff and members are looking forward to hearing your ideas.

You may be aware that there are currently over 600 upcoming tournaments, and already around 20 customisable parameters at the point of tournament creation.

Idea #1 of many: Being able to have different settings for each round

Idea #2 of many: Ability to create a SERIES of tournaments, with points awarded after each tournament, and also eliminations.

Idea #3 of many: Ability to earn a BYE in multi-rd. tournaments

There are more ideas...

JJN2
JJN2 wrote:
artfizz wrote:
JJN2 wrote:

Idea #2 of many: Ability to create a SERIES of tournaments, with points awarded after each tournament, and also eliminations.

There are more ideas...

MANY more ideas!

artfizz
JJN2 wrote:

artfizz wrote: Undoubtably chess.com staff and members are looking forward to hearing your ideas.

... and it may be that the challenge of FINDING a suitable tournament among the hundreds that exist is what discourages more people from signing up.

Although there is an option to search by Max Players or Registered Players, it would also certainly be more useful to be able to search by Fewest Places Remaining.

Ordering by a single factor (in conjunction with filtering by a second factor) is still very limited, compared with being able to filter by several factors e.g. rating range, fewer than N places remaining, whether vacation permitted or not.

JJN2
artfizz wrote:
JJN2 wrote:

artfizz wrote: Undoubtably chess.com staff and members are looking forward to hearing your ideas.

... and it may be that the challenge of FINDING a suitable tournament among the hundreds that exist is what discourages more people from signing up.

Although there is an option to search by Max Players or Registered Players, it would also certainly be more useful to be able to search by Fewest Places Remaining.

Ordering by a single factor (in conjunction with filtering by a second factor) is still very limited, compared with being able to filter by several factors e.g. rating range, fewer than N places remaining, whether vacation permitted or not.

Agreed.

allthepeace

I have a few suggestions.

One:  There should be a way to search for tournaments by name.

Two:  Some timed tournaments, such as 30 minutes per side.

Gm_andrewfeng
JJN2 wrote:
JJN2 wrote:
artfizz wrote:
JJN2 wrote:

There are more ideas...

MANY more ideas!

YES,THERE ARE.

#1 INCREASE THE TIME LIMIT TO 45 MINS.

#2 WIN= 2 POINTS,DRAW= 1 POINT,LOSE= 0 POINTS.

#3 A 10 MINUTE BREAK WILL HAPPEN AFTER EACH ROUND.

#4 COMPETITORS WHO HAVE LOST WILL BE EXCLUDED FROM THE TOURNAMENT AND SENT HOME.

#5 PIECES AND BOARD WILL CHANGE AFTER EACH ROUND.

THERE ARE INDEED MANY.HOWEVER,THE LIST WOULD BE WAY,WAY TOO  LONG.I ONLY PUT 5 OUT OF A GAZILLION.

ilikeflags

i've got a few pretty great ideas of my own.

dpnorman
What about quads tournaments?
JJN2
dpnorman wrote:
What about quads tournaments?

What are those?

JENO31

i have also a suggestions for chess.com i want a certificate of participation of their tournament

JJN2
lifehacker31 wrote:

i have also a suggestions for chess.com i want a certificate of participation of their tournament

That is a lot of paper...

chess700
allthepeace wrote:

http://support.chess.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/177/13/how-do-live-tournaments-work-where-can-i-join-one

JJN2
chess700 wrote:
allthepeace wrote:

http://support.chess.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/177/13/how-do-live-tournaments-work-where-can-i-join-one

NICE!

Martin_Stahl
JJN2 wrote:
chess700 wrote:
allthepeace wrote:

NICE!

I don't play live chess very much but I just checked and it doesn't appear that Live Tournaments are implemented quite yet. I know they are working on them and they are close though.

Quad tournaments are where you take four players and each person with play one game with the other three players. Each quad is treated as a mini tournament. It is a form of round robin with only 4 players; which could be simulated here with a tourney of only 4 players, tho only exception being it would be a double round robin instead.

Since it appears the site is implementing Swiss style tournaments for Live, it would be cool if that was also ported to regular tournaments too.

chess700
Martin_Stahl wrote:
JJN2 wrote:
chess700 wrote:
allthepeace wrote:

NICE!

I don't play live chess very much but I just checked and it doesn't appear that Live Tournaments are implemented quite yet. I know they are working on them and they are close though.

Quad tournaments are where you take four players and each person with play one game with the other three players. Each quad is treated as a mini tournament. It is a form of round robin with only 4 players; which could be simulated here with a tourney of only 4 players, tho only exception being it would be a double round robin instead.

Since it appears the site is implementing Swiss style tournaments for Live, it would be cool if that was also ported to regular tournaments too.

Swiss-system online tournaments would take far to long since only one game can be played at a time. Round robins are far superior for echess.

Martin_Stahl
chess700 wrote:

Swiss-system online tournaments would take far to long since only one game can be played at a time. Round robins are far superior for echess.

They work and really, with some round robins taking years anyway, Swiss wouldn't make a dent in how long tournaments run. You still limit the time based on how many days per move. Not saying all tournaments should be Swiss, just that it could be an option for people to run.