Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

The Women's World Chess Championship of 2012

• 21 months ago · Quote · #141

Scottrf

Draws under 15 moves sounds like collusion, not nerves.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #142

Ruby-Fischer

Draws in 9 moves sounds very dubious.. 

• 21 months ago · Quote · #143

trysts

Scottrf wrote:

Draws under 15 moves sounds like collusion, not nerves.

I agree that collusion cannot be overlooked. Makes ya' wonder what is going to happen in that matchWink

• 21 months ago · Quote · #144

trysts

Here is their most recent game, before today. Tatiana and Nadezhda are grandmasters. Is the game below an example of collusion? 

• 21 months ago · Quote · #145

Ruby-Fischer

bd6 at move 9 looks like playing for a draw to me, clever draw though :)

• 21 months ago · Quote · #146

electricpawn

Grandmaster draw, no question. What is their situation in the tournament? Maybe they have some tough games ahead agreed to take a game off.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #147

trysts

In the 2010 superfinal, the exact fourteen moves of the above game were played by the sisters. In fact they played this opening 7 times against each other for draws. They weren't even hiding the collusion!Laughing

• 21 months ago · Quote · #148

trysts

electricpawn wrote:

Grandmaster draw, no question. What is their situation in the tournament? Maybe they have some tough games ahead agreed to take a game off.

They are matched against each other in the third round, which started today. This is a "knockout tournament", so one of them is going to have to win their mini-match.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #149

rooperi

trysts wrote:

In the 2010 superfinal, the exact fourteen moves of the above game were played by the sisters. In fact they played this opening 7 times against each other for draws. They weren't even hiding the collusion!

That shouldn't be  allowed, it really sux

• 21 months ago · Quote · #150

electricpawn

Far from laudable, but unfortunately nothing new.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #151

corrijean

You'd think they'd be embarrassed to do something so unethical.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #152

pdela

The fight spirit of women Trysts talked about

• 21 months ago · Quote · #153

electricpawn

Maybe they're friends and don't want to hurt each other's chance of winning. Maybe they were tired. Hard to know their motivation, but it may not be as base and craven as it seems.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #154

Scottrf

pdela wrote:

Ha.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #155

johnyoudell

I can't really see much wrong with grandmaster draws.  Tournament organisers and people who have paid money to watch good chess don't like them and there are an increasing number of tournaments which bar early draws. But if that condition is not written into the tournament conditions it seems to me the competitors are entitled to focus their energy and concentration into the games they think are critical to achieving their target in the competition.

You would not expect an athlete to bust a gut in heats or a semi final if they don't have to. Grandmaster draws are not so very different from that.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #157

corrijean

I disagree. I think it would be more similar to two athlete's conspiring to take it easy in a semi final. It is the collusion part I don't like.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #158

piphilologist

pfren wrote:

The Kosintseva sisters NEVER play against each other. This pair will be decided on blitz, or sudden death.

Their game today was a draw, but looks like they played on a bit and tried to win

• 21 months ago · Quote · #159

trysts

pdela wrote:

I was quoting Khalifman, pdelaWink, and I agree that the women in this tournament are putting on an exciting display of chess! I again relate it to women's tennis where it's nearly impossible to know how a match would end based upon their rank(or ratings). The Kosintseva sisters are finally going to play chess against each other after six years of avoiding it. Remember, I watched the open candidates tournament, and the open world chess championship so I'm a bit more excited about the battles going on in the women's tournament.Wink

Post your reply: