Forums

The Women's World Chess Championship of 2012

Sort:
trysts

Houdini now evaluates Natalija Pogonina's position as +2.06!

trysts

Irina Krush's position is also evaluated as a significant advantage by Houdini: +1.67!  Turning into a bad day for former and current world champions

trysts

Viktorija Cmilyte, the number eight seed is out of the tournament, losing to Huang Qian!

Chess.com contributor, Natalija Pogonina just won! 

trysts

Earlier I mistakenly said that Kateryna Lahno is playing a tie break tomorrow, but the number five seed is out of the tournament, beaten by Lela Javakhishvili!Surprised

So, the number 2, 5, and 8 seeds are gone. One former world champion-- Alexandra Kosteniuk--is out of the tournament!

edit: It's still early in the morningWink

trysts

Irina Krush wins to go to tie-breakers w/ Pia Cramling.

11 out of 16 games were wins today.

trysts

Okay, having played through all the games fairly quickly I liked the game below, because I understood it more...I thinkSmile

johnyoudell

Hope it does not put the mockers on her but I am starting to fancy our own Natalya Pogonina for the title. :D

trysts
pfren wrote:

Yup, Nino, my ex-teammate, went fine today- although the game was decided by the bad blunder 21...Bd5?? which throws away the exchange and a pawn.

Why doesn't this work?: 22. Nxb6  Bxb3  23. Rc3 Nd5. It seems like black should get one pawn for the R/N exchange.

trysts

Okay, so I just woke up and found out that Yifan Hou is out of the tournament. Anna Muzychuk is also out of the tournament. I'm going back to bedCry

johnyoudell

Going back to bed is always a good option. :)

But, hey, look at the cool players that are still in. And think how excited the ladies pulling off the big upsets are going to be.

Pick a new favourite to root for.

(And what an excellent site to watch the tournament on. Props to the organisers.)

pdela

this things happen in KO tourneys, if Alexander Khalifman was world champ. Also closed tourneys should rotate the people the invite to play

pdela

I guess Xue Zhao is currently the highest rated player

trysts

I'm going to take johnyoudell's advice and choose Socko against Pogonina for the final. If you can beat Yifan Hou 3-1, then you have to be one of the favorites against the current Olympic gold medalist and Russian champion.

pdela
trysts escribió:

I'm going to take johnyoudell's advice and choose Socko against Pogonina for the final. If you can beat Yifan Hou 3-1, then you have to be one of the favorites against the current Olympic gold medalist and Russian champion.

nope

trysts

Okay, so I just woke up. Pogonina and Socko have lost the first game of their matches with Anna Ushenina and Antoaneta Stefanova. I must be the biggest jinx in the world...Cry

trysts

The above is a neat game I just played through from today's round between Maria Sebag and Alisa GalliamovaWink

trysts
Samsch wrote:

lololol, but yes, sad at the same time :(

After thinking about it there is a real good chance that it's all pdela's fault. That seems more logicalLaughing

johnyoudell

Natalya's loss was pretty bad. Seemed OK out of the opening but then just outmanoevred with a steadily worse and worse position and just no counterplay at all ending with a rather dispiriting trapped queen.

But I have faith. It was with the black pieces and she is playing well as white.

Irina Krush seems to be having a good run.

trysts

Here are what I see as two problems pertaining to the broadcast of the women's world chess championship tournament at the original website:

1. Alexandr Khalifman analyses positions without showing the board. He'll go from game to game without the game board being shown, so there is no way for people like me to understand. When the commentators do settle on a more extensive analyses, they then show the board in the lower right-hand corner. 

2. When they take a break during the broadcast, they show a montage w/ something like dance music in the background. Classical music w/ jessicafischer-type of documentary segments about the history of the women's world championship would be much better, in my view.

trysts
johnyoudell wrote:

Irina Krush seems to be having a good run.

Irina is an American, so I can't root for her on principle. But here is her win today: