Forums

Welcome to the Tournaments Discussion Forum

Sort:
jay
If/When you upgrade your platinum membership will be pro-rated, so you won't lose any of your money from the gold account. :)
Graybeard
Jay, how much control would I have over how the groups are formed - i.e. could they be based on rating?  On some other factor unrelated to chess.com (these would be friends of mine and their friends - I might want to set it up by age, or who knows who, etc.)?  That might determine whether I go ahead an upgrade..
jay
Unfortunately right now there is only one built in algorithm that you cannot control. It's an interesting idea as a feature though, I'll give some thought to it.
Graybeard

Thanks for the response... 

• What is the built-in algorithm?
  • Is adding a feature as described something you would seriously consider?

jay
Of course, we always consider all feature requests from all our users. We would just have to think about how many people might use it, if it exposes any potential cheats, how usable a feature would be, etc etc. The built in algorithm simply orders everyone by rating, and places them into groups in descending order.
farbror

Right, but are the players re-ranked after each round? Or will the #1 seed face the #2 seed in round two?

jay

It is not a "bracket". Each round players are reranked and reseeded into groups based on their ratings.

farbror

But in "brackets" the top seeds will face each other in round two? 

jay

We don't have a bracket system here at Chess.com at all. What I was saying was that if ours was a bracket, and we put people into groups the way we do (#1 player goes into group 1, #2 player goes into group2, etc etc), then #1 and #2 WOULD face each other in the 2nd round. However, because its NOT a bracket system that we're running, #1 and #2 WONT play each other in round 2, they'll be regrouped according to rankings and dispersed into separate groups.

farbror

Jay, Thank you for the clarification! I somehow got it all wrong and assumed that a multiround tournament with a groupsize of 2 would work as (March Madness) Brackets.

jay
Its fairly close, but not exact. Group size of 2 is the closest we have to a bracket system, but its definitely not a bracket.
Viau_A
Time/move: 2 hrs 51 mins

This stat is found in my turned base chess page, maybe you could allow only people who lets say less then 3hrs in one and less then 6hrs in the other, that way slow people play with slow people and fast people play with fast people.

I know I play more then a move a day and most of my games last less then a week....

erik
Viau_A wrote: Time/move: 2 hrs 51 mins

This stat is found in my turned base chess page, maybe you could allow only people who lets say less then 3hrs in one and less then 6hrs in the other, that way slow people play with slow people and fast people play with fast people.

I know I play more then a move a day and most of my games last less then a week....

we just launched a feature to allow tournament directors to limit by time per move!

Graybeard

we just launched a feature to allow tournament directors to limit by time per move!

How do I interpret the time/move information - I'm not sure just what it is saying.  OK, it's a pretty basic question - I know... Wink ... but I don't know!

Graybeard

As you can probably tell, I'm just getting my feet wet with organizing tournaments ... hence the (no doubt) basic questions...

As I look at the tournament listings I'm not sure how to read the 'format' information.  Can someone explain (or point me to an explanation) the following:

a)  12(2)->1

b)  4(2)->2

c)  9(2)->3

Thanks! 

erik
Graybeard wrote:

As you can probably tell, I'm just getting my feet wet with organizing tournaments ... hence the (no doubt) basic questions...

As I look at the tournament listings I'm not sure how to read the 'format' information.  Can someone explain (or point me to an explanation) the following:

a)  12(2)->1

b)  4(2)->2

c)  9(2)->3

Thanks! 

the first number is how many people are in a group. the second number is how many games they play at once per person (either 1, or 2). the third is how many people advance to the next round.

Graybeard

Crystal clear - thanks!

And congrats on the new baby... Innocent

Viau_A

I dont know about this, but lets say I set my max games at ten, and allow friends to challenge me and say now I have 14 games going on, if I register in a tournament and and it starts, would the tournament games show up?

Maybe there should be an option for allow firends and allow for tournament games...

TheOldReb
If 3 of my 4 arrows are grouping tightly but one is always out of the group, is the problem more likely me, the arrow, or my sights?  
TheOldReb
Forgive me,   wrong club!    Embarassed