Forums

Welcome to the Tournaments Discussion Forum

Sort:
froghollow

Tournament rating limits are a pathetic joke , players can register while 100 to 200 points above the limit, no questions asked .one unrated player increased 238 points after 1 tournament win ? after 2nd game win , rating increased by 87 rating points ? two t/directors have advised participants not to play a move against opponents way above the rating limit/ and would remove them. paying for diamond membership i might just as well play standard. Is Murdock the chairman of this chess online club?

Puchiko

No player can register for a tournament if his rating exceeds the limit. However, if their rating changes before the tournament starts, they remain registered. The tournament director can remove them as he sees fit.

As for the rating changes, please learn about the Glicko system, paying special attention to rating deviations.

lokiysh

I am a free member ..But i am not allowed to host the tournament..not even 1..Plz help me

jure_rak

What is the best way to invite other group members? I mean from a group I'm not a member.

For example: You are from TEAM SLOVENIA, you create a tournament for players from Alps contries and you want to send an invitation to group members of TEAM GERMANY, TEAM AUSTRIA, TEAM SWITZERLAND, TEAM FRANCE and TEAM ITALY?

Sofar I understood, you can't do that, if you are not member of those groups, am I right?

jcarroll4415

I note that in the message option one is told not to invite to tournament, what is the proper way to tell someone that a tournament is coming and they should register?

Puchiko

From the help section:

To invite players to a tournament you are hosting, use the "Invite People" link located in the tournament Admin Tools section on your Tournament page. It is located on the menu on the right-hand side of the page:

Once you click this link, you will be able to list all of the players you wish to send an invite to.

If the people you invite lose the message, they will still be able to enter through the tournament's main page.

Please do not use site messages to invite people to your tournament. If you do, your account could be flagged as a spam account.

froghollow

pichiko: is in Fairyland , players can and do enter tournaments when way above the rating limit when registering ! (READ MY LIPS_POST) T/D"S :some: eradicate such players and explain why on tournament page .

Puchiko

Try joining a tournament where you're above the limit. It won't let you. As I said before, players over the limit in tournaments are there because they got better after registering.

Teary_Oberon
Puchiko wrote:

Try joining a tournament where you're above the limit. It won't let you. As I said before, players over the limit in tournaments are there because they got better after registering.

I would hesitate to use the words "got better." That implies that the person under consideration is studying diligently every night and is progessively advancing in his understanding of the game.

But as we all already know, that is hardly ever the case in these tournaments. People who register for tournaments have their ratings inflate over the limit because they were already better than the limit, and their rating simply hadn't caught up to their true skill level yet. That is why their ratings shoot up by literally hundreds of points in just a few weeks after registering, instead of rising slowly and steadily over many months.

Aquafog

if we joined with a score in the target range and won a few games before the tournament starts, do we get kicket out?

Puchiko

It depends on the tournament director. Usually not. especially if it's only a few games and a minor increase. Hundreds of points are a different story, but again, it depends on the tournament director.

CarolynM

Are there any learner contests?  I would not get far in a normal one.

karangtarunasemarang

Smile

Knightmage

I could start an under 1200 maybe if people are interested.

Puchiko

Carolyn, I strongly reccomend the 16th Official Chess.com Tournament. It starts September 1st, but before joining a tournament, you must have at least five completed on-line games. After five games your rating will be accurate enough to fit into a category, such as the 1001-1200 range. That means you'll only play with people of this rating (official tournaments have the advantage that if a player registers when in the rating bracket, but his rating changes between registration and the start date, the player is moved to the correct category right before the tournament starts).

Knightmage

I have created a tournament for players below 1200

http://www.chess.com/tournament/below-1200 

KingNieves
erik wrote:
interesting suggestion! we're thinking on this stuff now...

Im trying to set up a chess tournament right now how would I find people who go to  my college that have a chess.com account

jcarroll4415

I do not think there is enough prize money for someone to "enter a small bowel" just to win the tournament, have you seen the trophies?  I entered an under 1650 and improved to 1720 before the start but sadly now I am back to 1630! 

Do you think someone would tank their rating just to enter a tournament?

Puchiko
KingNieves wrote:
erik wrote:
interesting suggestion! we're thinking on this stuff now...

Im trying to set up a chess tournament right now how would I find people who go to  my college that have a chess.com account

You can't, as those people never told chess.com they were from your college. The best way to do this would probably be to advertise the tournament via the college itself, e.g. on a Student's bulletin board. Once you've notified the players via real world routes, you can even start a chess.com group "X College" to make invitations to tournaments easier.

Also, premium mebers can view other players on a map, but free members can only see titled players, hence this probably won't help you much.

elgregos

Hi,

I registered to enter the 16th chess.com tournament. I'm afraid it's the 2nd time I did it, because I cliked twice on the button. Is it a problem ?

And also, this is the 1401-1600 tournament I registered for. I'm almost 1600 now, but if I go beyond, I'm quite sure I would not win much games on the 1601-1800 where I'll be automatically switched to. What happens if, on the 1601-1800 games, I go under 1600 ? Will I go back to the 1401-1600 tournament ?