Forums

Welcome to the Tournaments Discussion Forum

Sort:
segi_man

Hi all...

I have joined a Tourniment about two weeks ago and I`m curently third, but I will probably loose my last game and another player will probably pass me and advance to the next round... Anyway, I don`t understend what Tie Break means and how can I calculete it... I still have a chance to advance even if I loose my game if I have a bigger Tie Break score so I`m curious about it...If I don`t have chanses of getting a bigger Tie Break score then I will abort the tourniment and start anotherone, if not I`ll continue to wait and see if I can still advance to the next round...

So my question is how can I calculate my Tie Break score?

Sufshikun

segi_man wrote:

So my question is how can I calculate my Tie Break score?

You may check complete details about tournaments here http://www.chess.com/tournaments/help.html

For your convenience I am quoting the contents relevant to your query here under:

What happens when there is a tied score? And what is the Tie Break?

If 2 players in a group have the same score then both will advance. Tournament Directors can choose to use an additional tie-break method (we use the Neustadtl score) which factors in the strength of the opponents. If two players have the same score and the same Tie Break score, both will advance.

Below is an example of how the tie breaking system works:

Group #--123PointsTie Break
1. Bob X 0 1 1 1 3 4.5
2. Mary 0 1 X 0 0.5 1.5 3.75
3. John 0 0 0.5 1 X 1.5 2.25

A player's tiebreak score is calculated by adding the sum of the player's points they have defeated to half the sum of the player's points they have drawn against.

Bob won one game against Mary and two games against John. So Bob gets 1x1.5 points from Mary and 2 x 1.5 points from John, which sums up to 4.5 tiebreak points.

Mary won one game against Bob and drew one game against John. So Mary gets 1x3.0 points from Bob and 0.5x1.5 points from John, which sums up to 3.75 tiebreak points.

John won one game and drew one game against Mary. So John gets 1.5x1.5 points from Mary, which sums up to 2.25 tiebreak points.

segi_man

Thanks for the answer, I apreciate the help :)

cymruambyth1
jay wrote:

Please use this forum category to post all your ideas/questions/comments/etc about tournaments. We hope you enjoy the new feature...and the new forum!

LACajunborn

Hi, If I were to want to host a tournament, what is required of the host during game play?

cymruambyth1
[COMMENT DELETED]
cymruambyth1
[COMMENT DELETED]
Martin_Stahl
babeshardcastle wrote:

Hi, my group TPCO have an ongoing tournament that  clearly says 2 will advance....but if you would refer to tournament STANDINGS only 1 guy advances and 2nd gets eliminated.

Can this still be rectified before the second round ends? Thanks.

I believe it has to do with the group size in a round. No more than 1/2 of the group can advance in a round. Since each group is 3 people, only 1 can advance; 2 advancing would make it larger than 1/2 the group size. Of course, ties and matching tie breaks (in tournaments that use them) can override that.

Mikkelrev_Blitz

How does a play a live-chess tournament? not fuckin online. that sucks

drbutterfield

http://www.chess.com/tournament/kings-gambit-presents-the-6th-leaguehorse-chess-tournament

UBpsych

Do tournament games impact your rating?

1pawndown

I have hosted 9 small tournaments. I usually use a one day playing format, because I like lively play rather than long drawn out events. How can I make these "no vacation" events? I hate when after two months I'm still on move 3 or when all players have completed their games except one and he/she has completed no games, because he is perpetually on "vacation." 

Martin_Stahl
1pawndown wrote:

I have hosted 9 small tournaments. I usually use a one day playing format, because I like lively play rather than long drawn out events. How can I make these "no vacation" events? I hate when after two months I'm still on move 3 or when all players have completed their games except one and he/she has completed no games, because he is perpetually on "vacation." 

First, I want to say that I have never run a vacation on here but I think this is the process:

When you create a tournament you should have a link just above the description that says Show more advanced options »

Click that, scroll down and uncheck the option that says Allow players to use VACATION TIME.

1pawndown

Thanks Martin, I'll look for that next time. I guess I did not notice a "more advanced options button" before. 

Martin_Stahl

Looks like the drop-down is pre-populated and since it doesn't have higher than 3 then it doesn't seem that you can have more than 3 advancing in any round.

RabbiChris

I have a stalemate, what do I do now please?

RabbiChris

No sir, it is stalemate.

I do not know if I did this correctly, white to move, no moves can be made

RabbiChris vs KaziIshtiakAhmed - 12th Chess.com Quick Knockouts (1201-1400) - Round 1

RabbiChris

Ouch! Sorry!!

abdillahjunaidi

Cool good play chess i like it

TimJohnHarris

I created a tournament yesterday, but it does not appear on my upcoming tournaments list. Is this normal?