Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Welcome to the Tournaments Discussion Forum

• 2 years ago · Quote · #581

Rasparovov

jay wrote:
    perhaps in the future, but right now no. It's a very big deal to build even one format...so it'll take time before we add more. The problem with swiss, is you can only have one game at a time going for each player, and with turn based chess, those types of tournaments would take a VERY long time.

Well then people with limited time wouldn't join such a tournament am I right?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #582

Wanderain

fianchetto123 wrote:

This is wrong. If you try to enter a tournament with a rating range not including your rating, the system does not let you enter. Similarly your timeout rate and games played will be checked by the system before you enter, if those criteria are specified. 

I know you are right.  But I did put in the criteria that the timeout rate had to be 0%.  It still allowed people to join with timeout rates above zero.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #583

Rubus

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #584

DrMac

fianchetto123 wrote:
    DrMac wrote:

Putting restrictions doesn't keep people from joining. It lets them know how you want the tournament to be. As tournament director you can go in and remove people who don't meet the criteria. This is sometimes (but not often enough) done when someone exceeds the ratings requirment. If you don't remove them, however, they will remain entered in the tournament.

This is wrong. If you try to enter a tournament with a rating range not including your rating, the system does not let you enter. Similarly your timeout rate and games played will be checked by the system before you enter, if those criteria are specified. 

I am not versed enough to say you're wrong but I have been in a lot of tournaments where there are people whose ratings are higher than specified. In fact, sometimes the TD will put in the notes about the tournament that he will manually remove those whose ratings are too high. This leads me to conclude that the ratings are meaningless unless the TD is watching.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #585

ROOKKING8

cud anyone tell mi that how the player is advanced to next round?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #586

DEATHW1SH

ROOKHQUEEN8 wrote:

cud anyone tell mi that how the player is advanced to next round?

Hi,  All tournaments state how many advance 1,2 or 3 - so if you get enough points to finish within the advance criteria - you will advance - hope that helps .. DW

• 2 years ago · Quote · #587

ROOKKING8

thnk u..... DEATHW1SH

• 2 years ago · Quote · #588

DEATHW1SH

No probs RQ - any questions just msg me I will always answer

ROOKHQUEEN8 wrote:

thnk u..... DEATHW1SH

• 2 years ago · Quote · #589

CaesarChess

December Chess Tournaments in Alabama

Dec. 1   Huntsville Open

4SS, TC: G/75. UAH University Center, 1410 Ben Graves Dr., Huntsville, AL 35816. Open (PF: $$b/20): $225-150-X:125-U2000:100-U1800:100; Reserve (PF: $$b/20): $200-125–U1300:100-U1100:100; Rds.: 9, 11:30, 2:30; 5. EF: $30; if mailed by NOV 24th; $40 at site. Scholastic: 5SS, TC: G/30. EF: $20. Trophy: Top 3. Rds.: 9:15-10:30-12-1:15-2:30. Late REG: DEC 1st @ 8am. Make checks payable to: Caesar Chess. ENT: Caesar Chess LLC, 5184 Caldwell Mill Rd., Suite 204-202, Birmingham, AL 35244. Info: CaesarChess@yahoo.com; or . Registration is open now...

Dec. 8   Dothan Open - For more Info: Tim Owens <slicksloth@centurytel.net> or www.AlabamaChess.com.

Dec. 8   A.D. Shores Scholastic - For more Info: Michele Wilson-Morris (205) 862-2018 or www.AlabamaChess.com.

Dec. 15
      Alabama Dual-Rated State Chess Championship
    4SS, Rd1 G/30, Rd2 G/40, Rd3 G/50, Rd4 G/60 (all d5). Round times: 9:00, 10:30, 1:00, 3:15. Two sections: OPEN (b/20, 60%GTD): 1st $200, 2nd $100, Class A/B $80, U1600/unrated $60. RESERVE ((U1500) b/20, 60%GTD): 1st $160, 2nd $100, Class D/E $80, U1000/unrated $60. Trophies and Alabama titles to top Alabamian finishers. USCF and ACF required, OSA. Location: Evangel Church, 3975 Vaughn Rd., Montgomery, AL. EF (both sections): $25 by December 3, $30 thereafter or onsite. Registration: Send name, USCF ID, section and entry fee (payable to “Evangel Church”) to Doug Strout, 6000 Camelot Ct., Montgomery, AL 36117. Email: dtstrout@bellsouth.net or www.AlabamaChess.com.

Dec. 29   Magic City Classic * 5th Annual
    4SS, TC: G/75. Birmingham Bridge Club, 144 Business Center Dr., Birmingham, AL 35244. Open (PF: $$b/15): $225-125-U1900:100-U1700:100; Reserve (PF: $$b/15): $175-100–U1400:75-U1200:75; Rds.: 9, 11:30, 2:30; 5. EF: $30; if mailed by DEC 22nd; $40 at site. Scholastic: 5SS, TC: G/30. EF: $20. Trophy: Top 3. Rds.: 9:15-10:30-12-1:15-2:30. Late REG: DEC 29th @ 8am. Make checks payable to: Caesar Chess. ENT: Caesar Chess LLC, 5184 Caldwell Mill Rd., Suite 204-202, Birmingham, AL 35244. Info: CaesarChess@yahoo.com; www.CaesarChess.com or www.AlabamaChess.com. Registration is open now...
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #590

Puchiko

DrMac wrote:
    fianchetto123 wrote:
    DrMac wrote:

Putting restrictions doesn't keep people from joining. It lets them know how you want the tournament to be. As tournament director you can go in and remove people who don't meet the criteria. This is sometimes (but not often enough) done when someone exceeds the ratings requirment. If you don't remove them, however, they will remain entered in the tournament.

I am not versed enough to say you're wrong but I have been in a lot of tournaments where there are people whose ratings are higher than specified. In fact, sometimes the TD will put in the notes about the tournament that he will manually remove those whose ratings are too high. This leads me to conclude that the ratings are meaningless unless the TD is watching.

You can't join a tournament if you don't meet the criteria, BUT if you join first and then your time out ratio or rating changes you are not booted automatically. It's up to the director to remove such competitors before the first round starts.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #591

DrMac

Puchiko wrote:
    DrMac wrote:
    fianchetto123 wrote:
    DrMac wrote:

You can't join a tournament if you don't meet the criteria, BUT if you join first and then your time out ratio or rating changes you are not booted automatically. It's up to the director to remove such competitors before the first round starts.

Not trying to be difficult but I have been in tournaments when you click on the list of players there rating is above the rating listed for the tournament.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #592

invincible_knight

How do you make a tourney start on an opening?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #593

tedzeppelin

i would like to try playing in a tournament.. but i am new.. can anyone give me a hand?? please

• 2 years ago · Quote · #594

DrMac

Go to the tournaments page and select one of the tournaments to join. Look for one that has other players close to your rating. One other hint, if you are impatient (like me) about slow play by others, join a tournament that has a "No Vacation" rule. Otherwise players can go on long vacations between moves, which can be frustrating and brings out whining by other players (like me). Good luck. Hope to see you in a tournament soon.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #595

Aurio39

tedzeppelin, this is what you have to do: At the top left of any page you will find PLAY. Just point browser`s arrow to it, the box that appear show you to the left a little chess board and TOURNAMENTS. Click right there, the next page the top right click on help. From now on you are by your self. Welcome, best regards.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #596

Norwalk100

Hi what I would like to know is how do you figure out what format your tourneyment is what does it mean

• 2 years ago · Quote · #597

ChessMarkstheSpot

I just have one little question,

When I post a tournament announcement, like I did for our TV/Group tournament #2, do people in the tournament get a message saying that an announcement has been posted or does the announcement text actually get sent to them?  Thanks guys

-Mark

• 2 years ago · Quote · #598

rishikeshwaran

are we allowed to ask questions on live chess tournaments?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #599

zephiros

Good morning. Why I cannot join any tournament this day ?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #600

malko

zephiros wrote:

Good morning. Why I cannot join any tournament this day ?

you mean in live chess?

Post your reply: