Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Withdraw from Tournament?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1

chanhtu

I'm new to Chess.com.  I am playing in 2 tournaments. I signed up for another one to start on January 1. This tournament is for ratings 1201-1400. Since then, my rating has risen to over 1400. Do I need to withdraw from this tournament? If so, how? Does withdrawing from a tournament leave a negative mark on your record?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #2

PrawnEatsPrawn

1. You do not have to withdraw, though the TD may kick you out, anyway.

2. Tournament homepage (right hand side):

3. No negative mark, if you withdraw before the start.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

TadDude

chanhtu wrote:

I'm new to Chess.com.  I am playing in 2 tournaments. I signed up for another one to start on January 1. This tournament is for ratings 1201-1400. Since then, my rating has risen to over 1400. Do I need to withdraw from this tournament? If so, how? Does withdrawing from a tournament leave a negative mark on your record?

No need to withdraw from official tournaments like  http://www.chess.com/tournament/15th-chesscom-quick-knockouts-1201-1400

You will be moved to the appropriate tournament when they start.

A withdrawal shows in stats but has no effect on registering in tournaments.

Edit: The last I saw about withdrawal before the start in the forums was a complaint about it being counted. That was a long time ago.

ll Tournaments

Leaderboard Points: 0
    Events Entered: 2
    1st Place Finishes: 0
    2nd Place Finishes: 0
    3rd Place Finishes: 0
    Withdrawals: 0
    Tournaments Hosted: 0
    Total # Players Hosted: 0

You will not be able to see the above as a basic member.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

PrawnEatsPrawn

TadDude wrote:

Edit: The last I saw about withdrawal before the start in the forums was a complaint about it being counted. That was a long time ago.

They don't show, if you withdraw before the start.

(Just tested)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

Javan64

I'm currently playing in a tournament where (before the start) the TD would allow a 10% margin--perhaps there are more of these around?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

TadDude

Javan64 wrote:

I'm currently playing in a tournament where (before the start) the TD would allow a 10% margin--perhaps there are more of these around?

The default is 10% or less perhaps you mean where more than 10% timeouts are allowed. This is usually hidden, probably not to scare off people with low timeout ratios.

Normally, those with a problem have to try registering in them all. Rarely it is used as the hook to draw players.  Rotarian Open Tournament (30% timeouts & less)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #7

TadDude

PrawnEatsPrawn wrote:
    TadDude wrote:

They don't show, if you withdraw before the start.

(Just tested)

Great I will include this in my Knowledge Repository. Coming soon.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

Javan64

TadDude wrote:
    Javan64 wrote:

The default is 10% or less perhaps you mean where more than 10% timeouts are allowed. This is usually hidden, probably not to scare off people with low timeout ratios.

Normally, those with a problem have to try registering in them all. Rarely it is used as the hook to draw players.  Rotarian Open Tournament (30% timeouts & less)

Nah, the TD allowed a 10% margin in rating!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

TadDude

Javan64 wrote:
    TadDude wrote:
    Javan64 wrote:

Nah, the TD allowed a 10% margin in rating!

Seems then the tournament has not attracted the desired audience who would had advised he had forgotten to change the setting.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

UniqueAirplane

What is a rating margin?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #11

Javan64

UniqueAirplane wrote:

What is a rating margin?

Here's an example: if the maximum for a tournament is 1325, a player with a rating of up to 1457 would be allowed to play! (if the tourney has a 10% rating margin)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #12

chanhtu

I think that Javan64 means when a tournament has a rating limit of (say 1201-1400) that the director allows a 10% leeway on either side. In other words, you are allowed to play in the tournament if your rating is 1080 to 1540.

I'm not sure if there is a rating margin for tournaments or if it is up to the individual tournament directors.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #13

chanhtu

You just beat me to the reply, Javan64.  Thanks

• 2 years ago · Quote · #14

TadDude

Javan64 wrote:
    UniqueAirplane wrote:

What is a rating margin?

Here's an example: if the maximum for a tournament is 1325, a player with a rating of up to 1457 would be allowed to play! (if the tourney has a 10% rating margin)

Most times the TDs are happy to get registrants never mind throwing them out after they join.

I try not to have to remove by allowing anywhere from 25 to 50 points rise above the maximum rating for registration.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #15

whirlwind2011

If someone withdraws from a tournament between rounds, but with no active games in that tournament in progress, then one's rating is unaffected, correct?

The only consequence appears to be an advancement of the "withdraw" stat. This isn't a punishment or demerit in any way, but merely for record-keeping purposes.

Is all that accurate?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #16

PrawnEatsPrawn

whirlwind2011 wrote:

If someone withdraws from a tournament between rounds, but with no active games in that tournament in progress, then one's rating is unaffected, correct?

The only consequence appears to be an advancement of the "withdraw" stat. This isn't a punishment or demerit in any way, but merely for record-keeping purposes.

Is all that accurate?

Correct on all counts. I know because I've done exactly that on a number of occasions.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #17

windownight

Can't withdraw from tournamentss..

Fortunately chess.com provides the following info in a help page...

"How do I withdraw from a tournament?

You are allowed to withdraw from a tournament at any time using the Withdraw link located on the right hand side of any tournament homepage. However, withdrawing from a tournament while you have games in progress will automatically cause you to forfeit all of the tournament games on time which will negatively affect your timeout % ratio and your rating, even if no moves have been made.

"

Sadly I don't see this Withdraw link anywhere on any homepage of ne tournaments from which I have been eliminated.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #18

Teja

Yes, there seems to be no Withdraw button any more. So resignation from all games the only way? 

Post your reply: