Forums

XV. World Correspondence Chess Championship Qualification

Sort:
Polar_Bear

You can register:

http://www.chess.com/tournament/xv-anti-iccf-world-championship-qualification

Only serious correspondence players please. This is not fun tournament for casual players.

XIV. Correspondence Chess World Champion is Tõnu Õim. Who will be the next?

Polar_Bear
BananaMan25 wrote:

http://www.chess.com/tournament/xv-anti-iccf-world-championship-qualification

... someone should do a top 3 matchup analysis of these games

Go ahead and do it!

Give me your email adress and I will send you a pgn file of my games.

Polar_Bear

Ofcourse this is not for you, no-names like you are not allowed to participate, however I find amusing you care to write comments.

If you find anyone who organizes serious CC world championship with measures against cheaters and untrustworthy anonyms, send me a note. I did my research before I started this and I am still alone.

Polar_Bear
BananaMan25 wrote:
... but to describe the winner as a World Champion...

Definitely more valid champion than the ICCF's so-called "World Champion" or LSS's internal champion...

Polar_Bear

Btw, the FirebrandX's opinion that human CC is not suitable for serious competitions because of possible cheating is quite common and still widespread. I held the same opinion until 2010, now I regard it obsolete.

Polar_Bear

I think it should be clear to everyone who is the user BananaMan25.

He (re)appeared out of nowhere, having stolen a nick of fellow online poker player, just to tell us. He knows about existence of T3 method, not bad for total newcommer. Or maybe? His writing style is pretty unique and his opinions correspond too. Perhaps his original account became quite hot spot after getting dressing-down from the staff.

LegoPirateSenior

Anonymity is permitted. Double accounts are not.

Polar_Bear

@BananaMan25

You would be quite right if it happened like you describe. However facts are different a lot.

1) I realized cheating can be policed at least to the degree like drugs in athletics, cycling or bodybuilding. Maybe not 100%, but definitely to give honest participants a chance.

2) I made research over chess.com and the whole internet if anybody organized similar championship. I found nothing valuable, only various ignorant jokers and posers with no clue about necessary conditions and measures a serious championship must meet.

3) I announced my intentions in advance, not only here at chess.com, but also in the ICCF's attached forums (closed now). The tournament was open for registration quite long with continuing advertisement in forums. It was intended for 50+ people participation, qualification tournament(s) first, then final supertournament. Serious human correspondence players (if they exist today) were given the chance, most of them ignored it - their problem.

Under such circumstances this championship remains legit.

kco

I am sure he'll be back.

netzach

Been waiting eagerly for months now to hear BananaMan's expert-opinion. What a relief he's finally spoken.

melogibbo

I gotta agree that even if your competition has stringent checks to stop cheating the winner can't be classified as world champion with only two players over 2000.

Come on mate, a comp. with 7 people and you smashed them 9 for 9, hardly representative of 'world' chess.

And as for bananaman being a no name, i'm sure polar bear's not your real name either. I guess you meant he hasn't filled in his details, I checked your page, I think you've wrote too much, I quote
"Occupation: clinical bioanalyst and self-proclaimed correspondence chess great-grandmaster " 

That's pretty big headed of you, made me laugh though so thanks.  What's a great grandmaster? is that someone who becomes a chess grandmaster and also has a grandson/daughter who has a child at the same time?

Polar_Bear

I think Bananaman's opinions are quite reasonable, I understand that small tournament between 6-7 random people can't represent world elite. However I never intended to proclaim the winner World Champion straight, this should have been only qualification, the first step on the road.

The winner will get the right to play in the XV. WCCC Final tournament which will take place sometime in the next 5 years. These participants will receive invitation:

1. Winner of this qualification

2. Winner of official major chess.com tournament (after being t3-checked)

3. IM David Rensch (titled staff member)

4. GMC Tonu Oim (last legit human champion)

5. Best human player from RedHotPawn.com

6. Best human player from another major chess site (QueenAlice, ChessNet or Gameknot)

ozzie_c_cobblepot
netzach wrote:

Been waiting eagerly for months now to hear BananaMan's expert-opinion. What a relief he's finally spoken.

But he's only been a member of the site since May 5 2013 !

ozzie_c_cobblepot
Polar_Bear wrote:

I think Bananaman's opinions are quite reasonable, I understand that small tournament between 6-7 random people can't represent world elite. However I never intended to proclaim the winner World Champion straight, this should have been only qualification, the first step on the road.

The winner will get the right to play in the XV. WCCC Final tournament which will take place sometime in the next 5 years. These participants will receive invitation:

1. Winner of this qualification

2. Winner of official major chess.com tournament (after being t3-checked)

3. IM David Rensch (titled staff member)

4. GMC Tonu Oim (last legit human champion)

5. Best human player from RedHotPawn.com

6. Best human player from another major chess site (QueenAlice, ChessNet or Gameknot)

I think you crossed your wires there.

Irontiger
Polar_Bear wrote:

Btw, the FirebrandX's opinion that human CC is not suitable for serious competitions because of possible cheating is quite common and still widespread. I held the same opinion until 2010, now I regard it obsolete.

I guess you mean your opinion changed since 2010, not that the cheating problem became a minor issue since...

What are your grounds ? Your cheat-detection methods ?

I don't see any future for serious CC outside of centaur.

netzach
ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:
netzach wrote:

But he's only been a member of the site since May 5 2013 !

Yes. Alas had drifted into sarcasm...

This thing is a good-idea as improvements in cheating-detection open up new possibilities.

Such a shame to read critiscism from anonymous blowhards.

An avatar's opinions have zero meaning so why does this person not identify themself?

Polar_Bear
melogibbo wrote:

I gotta agree that even if your competition has stringent checks to stop cheating the winner can't be classified as world champion with only two players over 2000.

Come on mate, a comp. with 7 people and you smashed them 9 for 9, hardly representative of 'world' chess.

And as for bananaman being a no name, i'm sure polar bear's not your real name either. I guess you meant he hasn't filled in his details, I checked your page, I think you've wrote too much, I quote
"Occupation: clinical bioanalyst and self-proclaimed correspondence chess great-grandmaster " 

That's pretty big headed of you, made me laugh though so thanks.  What's a great grandmaster? is that someone who becomes a chess grandmaster and also has a grandson/daughter who has a child at the same time?

Some people seem to have slower wit and can't get it straight. So again.

The current situation in CC I would describe with one word: Sedevacantism. I made it clear many many times I do not recognize ICCF as central world authority in CC and its internal champions as true CC champions. With central authority absent, everyone can make claims as he/she pleases. So I do it. I can claim myself title in CC whatever I want to, because there is no authority awarding titles I recognize. Got it? One more detail though: I have backed it with true results and achievements. Do you think I cheat? Go ahead and post your analysis here.

I have decided to revive serious human CC and since I am not uncouth bumpkin and seek for recognition, I have given others chance to participate as players or organizers. I find a bit annoying I was mostly ignored and had to start this mini-tournament myself alone, but it can't undermine legitimacy of this event.

Irontiger
Polar_Bear wrote:

The current situation in CC I would describe with one word: Sedevacantism. I made it clear many many times I do not recognize ICCF as central world authority in CC and its internal champions as true CC champions. With central authority absent, everyone can make claims as he/she pleases. So I do it.

Yes, but it does not prevent them from being mocked and humiliated in the forums for being far away from becoming a "central authority".

On a similar note, I just realized there is no central organization for wine-drinking contests. I hereby proclaim myself King of drinkers, after a contest of three persons, including two minors that couldn't legally drink the first glass. That context was extensively advertised in the local press (ie my blog www.pagenonereads.com) and by town yeller. An official song was even released : click here a bit of Rossini.

Polar_Bear
Irontiger wrote:

On a similar note, I just realized there is no central organization for wine-drinking contests. I hereby proclaim myself King of drinkers, after a contest of three persons, including two minors that couldn't legally drink the first glass. That context was extensively advertised in the local press (ie my blog www.pagenonereads.com) and by town yeller. An official song was even released : click here a bit of Rossini.

Do whatever you please.

There is a bit difference between chess and alcoholism.

Irontiger
Polar_Bear wrote:

Do whatever you please.

There is a bit difference between chess and alcoholism.

Did you pretend not to see my point, or are you too delusional about who between you and ICCF represents CC the best currently ?