2011 Chess.com Holiday Puzzler

• SonofPearl
  • on 12/21/11, 2:03 PM.

Welcome to the 2011 Chess.com Holiday Puzzler!

What better way to entertain yourself over the holiday season than by trying to answer the questions in our fun seasonal chess quiz? Cool

There should be something for everyone, so you don't need to be a Grandmaster to have a go!

But don't forget, this is a prize competition so...

Don't answer in the comments!

Instead, send your answers to holidaypuzzler@chess.com and you could win one of the fabulous prizes below!

First prize: One year Diamond membership, plus t-shirt
Second prize: One year Platinum membership, plus t-shirt
Third prize: One year Gold membership, plus t-shirt
Fourth prize: One month Diamond Membership plus t-shirt
Fifth-Tenth prize: One month Diamond Membership

So get puzzling, and send in your answers to the email address above.  Please include your Chess.com username with your answers, so we know who you are!  Only one entry per member, so think carefully before you send your answers in - changes are not allowed!

Any ties will be broken by a random draw, so there's no need to hurry.  Entries will be accepted up to and including 31 December 2011, and the winners will be announced early in the new year.  Good luck, and have a great 2012!

1. As usual, we have an easy question to start. Chess.com is the biggest and best chess community on the internet, but when was it launched? Exact date please!

2. After black's fourth move in a crazy chess game, the following position was reached.  What were the moves of the game?

3. Hero or villain? This person caused a storm at a chess event this year, but can you name him?

2011Chesscomquizquestion3.jpg

4. Who am I? I learned to play chess at the age of six, and became a Grandmaster at 18 years of age. I have won my senior national chess title 6 times, and my peak Elo rating is 2765. I have also achieved great success in Chess960 events. A family man, I enjoy reading and listening to music, especially Bob Dylan.

5. Can you identify the player with the black pieces in the game below, pulling out a crucial 2011 tournament win with victory in the last round?

6. Exactly how many member federations are there currently in FIDE, and which continent has the most FIDE member federations?

7. The eyes have it...can you name these chess players?

Xmasquiz2011 eyes_1.jpg
Xmasquiz2011eyes_B.jpg

8. "I know you to be a sportsman and a gentleman, and I am looking forward to some exciting chess games with you." Who wrote these words to a reigning world chess champion shortly before challenging him for the title?

9. Can you name the Grandmaster playing white and the amateur playing black in this casual game from 2011?

10. Which chess Grandmaster abandoned the game for a very successful career in Economics, working initially for the International Monetary Fund, and is currently employed as Professor of Economics at an Ivy League University?

11. Which world chess title challenger had yogis known as Didi and Dada in his entourage, and what were their real names?

12. Can you name this Grandmaster, and at what event in 2011 was this photo taken?

2011XmasquizQ12.jpg

13. Which tournament was the last that Garry Kasparov played in before announcing his retirement?

14. While wandering past the boards at your local chess club, you notice this position on the board of a finished game. What was the last move played?

15. Who invented the first pocket chess set?

16. Can you name the chess wife and daughter in the picture?

Question 16.jpg

17. It's not everyday that a Grandmaster loses to someone rated more than 500 points below him in a regular tournament game. Can you name the Grandmaster having a bad day with black in this game from 2011?

18. Who am I? Born in 1996, I scored my first major tournament win in 2006 with a 6/6 score. In 2008 I won for the first time against a Grandmaster, and qualified as an International Master by the age of 12.  I was first reserve for my national team at the 2010 Olympiad, but decided to quit chess for Mathematics aged just 15. Oh, and my older cousin plays soccer for Manchester United!

19. Which brilliant final move enabled a future world chess champion to win an exhibition game in time for him to visit the Bolshoi Theatre in 1914?

20. And finally, this position once featured on the silver screen during the time that Alexander Alekhine was the world champion. Which film, and what move is played next?

6 votes
more Misc

Comments

allo_st

Will be same for question 3 if it's not Icanchuk lol...

peter2

say hallo to David, he must be very honored that I confused him with Ruslan Ponomariov

SonofPearl

I have a query with David Pruess regarding the prizes. When I get a reply I'll be able to post the results! Smile

sccizm

At least can't you post the correct the answers here?

SonofPearl

Probably tomorrow now, sorry! Smile

Minihat

Very soon... when?

SonofPearl

Results should be posted very soon now Smile

allo_st

Crap for the picture 16 I put Dariak Kramnik... as it is the daughter of Kramnik... Instead of Daria Vladimirovna.Hope they give the pt.

keeganomahoney

Haha how did you get that?

peter2

9. is Kasparov-Sonofpearl in Prague.

keeganomahoney

Did anyone get 9? I would be interested to know how if they did.

keeganomahoney

I hadn't seen that photo but I did get Kamsky

xiko92

Yes no doubt #7 are Rensch and Pruess. For #12 here is a little proof. http://www.chess.com/news/semin-finals-underway-in-kazan-4617

keeganomahoney

7 is Rensch and Pruess btw, I actually found the photos on the uscl site

keeganomahoney

I could be wrong but I think 3 is CJ deMooi, I guessed May 31st for 1, couldn't get 9, for 6 I said there are 158 member federations but that's according to wikipedia and I'm not sure, for 16 I think it's Marie-Laure Germon and Daria Vladimirovna so I think I should have at least 15

peter2

who says  that the picture of the ring is from Kazan, most journalist use a picture from their archive.

peter2

Strange that you guys has the same answer on 7. I have Baadur Jobava and Ruslan Ponomariov.

xiko92

that is true allo_st, but unfortunately I was not able to find any other precise answer like that.

allo_st

On question 1, I've seen the private beta lauch... but you need to get invited to be able to join... this was not open to public as SonofPearl stated.

xiko92

awesome find on #20, allo_st. here is the film -http://youtu.be/ahViGksm69w. Here are my poor guesses...

2. 1. e4 e6 2.Bb5 Ke7 3. Bxd7 c6 4. Be8 Kxe8
    3. Boris Becker (Guess)
    4. Peter Svidler
    5. Koneru Humpy
    6. 194 members, Europe
    7. Daniel Rensch and David Pruess
    8. Bobby Fischer wrote it to Boris Spassky
    9. Vishy Anand vs Son Goku (LOL)
    10. Kenneth Rogoff
    11. Viktor Korchnoi, Didi-Stephen Dwyer; Dada-Victoria Shepherd
    12. Gata Kamsky. FIDE Candidates 2011
    13. Linares 2005
    14. Kb4-a3
    15. In 1845, Dr. Peter Mark Roget (Roget's Thesaurus) devised the first pocket chess set
    16. Marie Laure Germon (Kramnik) (Kramnik's wife) and their daughter Daria.
    17. GM Eduardas Rozentalis
    18. Kiprian Berbatov
    19. 29... Qb2! Bernstein-Capablanca, 1914
    20. Chess Fever, Nxd6 (Coin Toss)