2011 Women's World Championship

• SonofPearl
  • on 11/13/11, 1:08 AM.

Reigning champion Hou Yifan of China faces Humpy Koneru of India in a 10-game match for the Women's World Chess Championship in Tirana, Albania from 14-30 November 2011.

Hou Yifan became the youngest ever women's world champion in December 2010 at the age of 16 after narrowly missing out to Alexandra Kosteniuk in September 2008, when aged just 14!

Humpy Koneru won the right to challenge Hou Yifan thanks to her performance in the 2009/10 Women's Grand Prix series.

Games start at 15:00 local time (14:00 UTC) and the time control is 40 moves in 90 minutes, then 30 minutes to finish the game, with a 30 second increment from the start.

Hou Yifan (left) of China will be challenged by Humpy Koneru (right) from India

Hou Yifan 10.jpg Humpy Koneru 10.jpg

The total prize fund is 200,000 euros, with the main match sponsor being Taci Oil International.

If the scores are level after 10 games there will be a 4-game rapid match to determine the champion. If scores are still level, there will be up to 5 pairs of blitz games before a final sudden-death game.

The full FIDE match regulations are here.

Women's World Championship Match 2011
29/11/2011  REST DAY
30/11/2011  TIE-BREAK GAMES

CLOSING CEREMONY

2 votes

Comments

iguna

I think Hou will win this match...

alec40

Korenu is tough and a real fighter I think her opponent will need a good supply of ice to apply on her poor Kings face and bruised chin after this is one is over.

I wish both of them good luck and a great match!!

goutham32kog

go humpy

mobidi

WGM Natalia Pogonina-Congratulations for You and your team.Russian girl (or women)-is the POWER! (nice power).I'm a dreamer-i dream about girl with rating over 2800,but maybe i'm not only one...I dream about prize fund for the women's  World championship -2 000 000 euros...I dream about my Secherezada-Princess of the Universe..

Moonflow

Ponogina, how come on your website it says "GRANDMASTER PONOGINA'S CHESS SHOP?" Aren't you still a WGM? Please clarify. Thanks.

SpaceOddity

I looked at Natalia's 'opinion' link and noticed that on the bottom left corner, I received many google ads for people looking to 'meet' Ukrainian women, and another ad for guys looking to 'connect' with "Pretty Brazilian Girls".  Looks like this are basically pimp sites, and so Natalia's page is pimping pimps.  just an FYI.

drvijayshah

good luck  humpy koneru

Laughing

lbtr74aao

Even Y hifan keep the crown , Koneru will be figth to has the end

gokul999

Darn.... I hope it won't be overshadowed by the Tal Memorial.

WGM Natalia_Pogonina

My opinion on the result. Smile