2012 Capablanca Memorial

• SonofPearl
  • on 5/3/12, 10:37 AM.

The 47th edition of the Capablanca Memorial tournament will take place between 4-14 May in Havana, Cuba.

There will be an Elite 6-player double round-robin headed by last year's winner Vassily Ivanchuk, a 10-player single round-robin Premier, and two 10-round Swiss events.

The Elite games start at 15:00 local time (19:00 UTC) and 9 May is the only rest day. Cuba will be represented by Leinier Dominguez and Yuniesky Quesada.

The official site with coverage is here.

The full Elite line-up:

Name  Nat Elo
Ivanchuk, Vassily  UKR  2764
Dominguez Perez, Leinier  CUB  2725
Nepomniachtchi, Ian  RUS  2716
Laznicka, Viktor  CZE  2693
Potkin, Vladimir  RUS  2642
Quesada Perez, Yuniesky  CUB  2625

The first Capablanca Memorial tournament was held in 1962 on the initiative of Che Guevara who funded the event, which was won by Miguel Najdorf.  In the 1965 event, Bobby Fischer famously played his moves by telex from the Marshall Chess Club in New York after he was refused a visa by the US government.

Fischer finished second in the tournament behind the former world champion Vassily Smyslov, despite winning their individual encounter.

capablanca memorial.jpg

2 votes

Comments

chichito

lenier is not new to the 2700 + elo, hes been there 4 quite a long time between the top 20s to 30s best players in the wolrd....he  was actually the 2008 world chess blitz champion http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?tid=66179 ....surely he does not belong to the elite but he can beat anybody...now after 3 rounds chuky( the favorite) and him are tied in the first place

fabelhaft

"What I understand from the elite: The hightest level achieved in the world, and that includes Anand, Topalov, Carlsen, Kramnik and Aronian at the moment. Maybe Ivanchuk too. These six players are at another level than the rest."

I almost agree, but it is flattering to Topalov to say that he is on another level than for example Radjabov, Nakamura and Karjakin at the moment. His latest tournaments were Nanjing 2010 and Wijk 2012 and he was close to end up last in both. He more or less seems to have stopped playing lately and won't return to a top ten position anytime soon, he was a formidable player 2005-09 though.

Otherwise I guess it depends on how many elite players one decides there are. I'd call players like Grischuk, Svidler and the recently mentioned trio elite players even if they aren't the same class as Carlsen, Aronian, Anand and Kramnik.

fabelhaft

This is the sixth time Ivanchuk plays this tournament and he has won it every single time he has participated (2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011). After two rounds he is already sole leader so maybe it will soon be six out of six.

Taoism

Interesante torneo. Go Chucky!

pcpablo7

go morovic////

Elubas

Philidor, "elite" wouldn't be my precise word to describe Dominguez either, yet at the same time I think one wouldn't be wrong to do so. I think it's rather harsh of you to understate the ability of a player of his strength like this -- his rating is 2725; this guy is hardly 100 points away from the absolute highest rating currently held -- he deserves more credit. I definitely consider that top. I just don't think 80 points should be thought of as light years in distance. Granted, the higher the level gets, the harder it is to win outright against other very strong players, so points acquired from 2700 onward may or may not have more significance than usual. I would agree though that 2600 players are indeed far from the top Smile

Ok, rant concluded Smile

SonofPearl

@ philidor_position - I agree (EDIT - I mean that the word "Elite" should be used with care). "Elite" is the term used by the organisers (not me) to distinguish the main event from the others, so they can call it what they like I suppose!  Wink

philidor_position

I don't think the term "elite" could be applied to this line up at all. It's just a "strong" line up. What I understand from the elite: The hightest level achieved in the world, and that includes Anand, Topalov, Carlsen, Kramnik and Aronian at the moment. Maybe Ivanchuk too. These six players are at another level than the rest. For instance, Dominguez is absolutely not on the same level with Kramnik. He is not an elite player. He is in fact, hardly a "top player."

Elite is a term that should be used with due care. Smile

Rumpelstiltskin

Habana*

chichito

bruzon was listed before ....dont know what happened....yeah chuky is phenomenal

Aknaim

@RuralRob lol so true! :P

WilliamAthens

where's Bruzon?

Aknaim

not too much competition for Ivanchuck, that is if he stays in form. Lenier is on a roll though so we'll see Laughing

chichito

good luck to lenier, hopefuly he wins this one!!!!