A Deadly Game

• SonofPearl
  • on 8/18/09, 10:11 PM.

Shocking and sad news from a recent tournament in Greece, where local amateur player Nikolaos Karapanos played a brilliant game against Israeli IM Dan Zoler in the first round, but collapsed and died following a time scramble at the end.

By remarkable chance, Zoler is a doctor and did his best to revive his opponent, but sadly Nikolaos did not recover.  Zoler resigned the game (he was in a losing position) and withdrew from the tournament.

Sincere condolences are offered to Nikolaos' family.

From the official site, GM Estratios Grivas annotates this fateful game.

5 votes

That's an interesting news item.It's not sad IMO - except for the fact that the player was young. It would be the way I would wish to exit this world. RIP

This highlights the extreme stress that chess can cause, which I had not realised until reading this article. I had believed that this type of stress only happened with more active pursuits.

A very sad loss for his friends and family.

from the philippines ,, our heartfelt condolences .. pahulay sa kalinaw Nikolaos

I feel my heart race after a very tense game. This is sad, for the Karapanos family, for Mr. Zoler, and for chess. Not to trivialize a lost life, but I would hope to exit in such good form. We have lost a brother.

Condolences to his family .... RIP

Darthstapler i didn't understand your point at all...

How terrible!  My condolences to Mr. Karapanos' family and friends, and best wishes to Mr. Zoler.

condolences to the family...

it is an honor to die doing what you love to do... not many people will ever experience this privilege

Kind of like the guy in our home town that bowled a 300 and dropped dead of a heart attack right after.

How truly sad, to have such an event happen.

yet, how truly stellar the qualities Mr. Zoler demonstrated.

Mr. Zoler exhibited true sportsmanship and human decency.   May he return to play more chess in the future - likely though it may be some time before he plays well in any time-scramble.   He may be scarred for life by this.

I must say that Mr. Zoler displayed a wonderful and remarkable sign of sportsmanship. Very rare gesture to be seen.

R.I.P. to Mr. Nikolaos.

I felt his passion in chess.

Something similar happened at a tournament I attended.  It's shocking to see it suddenly in front of you.  That was very classy of his opponent to resign the game.

sad newsCry

Rest in peace, Nikolaos. Our thoughts are with you and your family

as a common chess adage, 2 Rooks are much more favorable to a Queen in the endgame. This game definitely exemplifies such.

Mr Nikos ran out of time and the arbiters wrote 0-1 but Mr Zoler asked them to change the result.

Thats so disrespectful Stapler.

Oh, no.I knew this man. He was my teacher for cople of months.

Kalo taksidi file

I was in the room next to the playing hall. My dad was there, it happened before his eyes. I was at the funeral. He was a wise man.