A Deadly Game

• SonofPearl
  • on 8/18/09, 10:11 PM.

Shocking and sad news from a recent tournament in Greece, where local amateur player Nikolaos Karapanos played a brilliant game against Israeli IM Dan Zoler in the first round, but collapsed and died following a time scramble at the end.

By remarkable chance, Zoler is a doctor and did his best to revive his opponent, but sadly Nikolaos did not recover.  Zoler resigned the game (he was in a losing position) and withdrew from the tournament.

Sincere condolences are offered to Nikolaos' family.

From the official site, GM Estratios Grivas annotates this fateful game.

5 votes

Comments

Ziggy_Zugzwang

That's an interesting news item.It's not sad IMO - except for the fact that the player was young. It would be the way I would wish to exit this world. RIP

GlennBk

This highlights the extreme stress that chess can cause, which I had not realised until reading this article. I had believed that this type of stress only happened with more active pursuits.

A very sad loss for his friends and family.

bromar

from the philippines ,, our heartfelt condolences .. pahulay sa kalinaw Nikolaos

drumdaddy

I feel my heart race after a very tense game. This is sad, for the Karapanos family, for Mr. Zoler, and for chess. Not to trivialize a lost life, but I would hope to exit in such good form. We have lost a brother.

metalpawn

Condolences to his family .... RIP

kerver73

Darthstapler i didn't understand your point at all...

DrJekyll325

How terrible!  My condolences to Mr. Karapanos' family and friends, and best wishes to Mr. Zoler.

pawngenius

condolences to the family...

it is an honor to die doing what you love to do... not many people will ever experience this privilege

idosheepallnight

Kind of like the guy in our home town that bowled a 300 and dropped dead of a heart attack right after.

RetGuvvie98

How truly sad, to have such an event happen.

yet, how truly stellar the qualities Mr. Zoler demonstrated.

Mr. Zoler exhibited true sportsmanship and human decency.   May he return to play more chess in the future - likely though it may be some time before he plays well in any time-scramble.   He may be scarred for life by this.

migrated

I must say that Mr. Zoler displayed a wonderful and remarkable sign of sportsmanship. Very rare gesture to be seen.

R.I.P. to Mr. Nikolaos.

amboy

I felt his passion in chess.

pwnsrppl2

Something similar happened at a tournament I attended.  It's shocking to see it suddenly in front of you.  That was very classy of his opponent to resign the game.

h777

sad newsCry

bigmac26

Rest in peace, Nikolaos. Our thoughts are with you and your family

Dakota_Clark

as a common chess adage, 2 Rooks are much more favorable to a Queen in the endgame. This game definitely exemplifies such.

kosmeg

Mr Nikos ran out of time and the arbiters wrote 0-1 but Mr Zoler asked them to change the result.

Arv123

Thats so disrespectful Stapler.

Darthstapler8

Instead of resigning, couldn't the opponent have just let the dead guy's clock run until he won on time?

Gavriil24

Oh, no.I knew this man. He was my teacher for cople of months.

:(Cry