Carlsen Beats Caruana in Final Round, Wins Shamkir Chess 2014

• PeterDoggers
  • on 4/30/14, 6:57 AM.

On Wednesday Magnus Carlsen won the first edition of the Shamkir Chess tournament in Azerbaijan. In the last round the world champion defeated Fabiano Caruana with the white pieces to finish clear first, with a score of 6.5/10. Sergey Karjakin drew all his games; in the last round he split the point with Shakhriyar Mamedyarov. Hikaru Nakamura and Teimour Radjabov also drew their last round game.

For a while the World Champion seemed vulnerable, and there was the possibility that someone else would win in Shamkir, but in the end he added yet another tournament victory to his growing list. On Wednesday Magnus Carlsen silenced all discussions about the tiebreak rules (and about whether he was really struggling wit his form) by winning his last-round game against Fabiano Caruana. The Norwegian finished in clear first place with 6.5 points and a performance slightly below his rating, but a full point ahead of runner-up Caruana.

Carlsen hadn't spent much time preparing for his last round game as he enjoyed the Bayern-Real match on Tuesday night instead. He went for something non-theoretical: 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 c5 5.c3 and when Caruana played the natural 5...d5, Carlsen took on c5. “I liked my position out of the opening. He has some compensation but White should be better,” he said.

“I probably overestimated my position. It seems that my compensation was not fully sufficient. But I think I had a decent position at some point although I'm not sure where. I just didn't have enough time to find the way,” said Caruana.

In his game with Sergey Karjakin, Shakhriyar Mamedyarov needed a lot of time on the clock, and at several moments he had his head resting on the table in front of the chess board. This was most probably related to the fact that he had joined the players of the B group in the morning for another football match!

But even though he was quite tired, he calculated reasonably well in a very complicated middle game - it was the same variation Nakamura and Karjakin had played earlier in the tournament. At one moment Mamedyarov could perhaps even have gained the upper hand, but as it went, the game was drawn with a perpetual check that was stretched out a bit longer than necessary.

Karjakin said about his ten draws: “If anyone says it's easy to draw with Carlsen, Caruana and everybody else, I can say: it's not! And also, I've played three tournaments in a row. Now I will have a one month break and then I will come back playing chess again.”

In the month of May he has other plans, as Teimour Radjabov today revealed on Twitter. Karjakin will marry for the second time in his life, with Galiya Kamalova, a charming girl who has accompanied him at many recent tournaments, including this one.

Sergey Karjakin, about to get married again

Hikaru Nakamura and Teimour Radjabov played a bit of a strange game. Radjabov surprised with the Berlin Ending, but Nakamura went for it anyway has he felt he had plenty of experience from the black side.

Up till move 27 it was a pretty normal game, but from that moment the players kept on maneuvering without doing much. Four hours later, at move 77 (!) a draw was agreed in almost the same position!

“After 27.f4 we could have drawn four hours earlier. I figured if Mangus can play for twenty hours against Teimour yesterday I might as well try the same,” smiled Nakamura. Radjabov said that at some point he realized that his opponent wasn't trying anything, but ”that he has nothing special to do until the closing ceremony.”

Looking back at another tournament victory, Carlsen said: “My play has been OK. A little bit sluggish at times. [After the two losses] obviously I was motivated to get those points back. I had the necessary combination of skill and luck I suppose, and I won three complicated games. I wouldn't say that I was at my best energy-wise in the second half either, but fortunately it was enough to handle the complicated positions better than my opponents.”

Sarkhan Gashimov asked Carlsen if he wants to play against a computer, because “he is beating everybody”. The reply: “For now the struggle against humans is much more interesting to me. As you can see from this tournament, although I won it in the end the games are very interesting, fighting. It's never easy. Not yet, anyway!”

At the different press conferences, all the players agreed that they had played in an event that was organized at the highest level. The last day's activities underlined that fact a bit more: after the closing ceremony held in the venue, everyone was taken to the Shamkir sports stadium to attend a spectacular music and dance show - thousands of spectators were already present when the chess delegation arrived and took the front seats. It was an event held in connection with the tournament, but intended for all inhabitants of Shamkir.

After that, another dinner party in the back garden of the hotel was thrown and that ended the tournament. On Thursday most players will fly back to Baku, from where they will continue their trip back home. But not Fabiano Caruana and Hikaru Nakamura; they will travel via Istanbul to Italy to play in the national league there.

The biggest events in May will be the Sigeman tournament in Malmö, the Karpov Tournament in Poikovsky and the Capablanca Memorial in Havana. The next super tournament will be Norway Chess, in June.

A group photo with players, organizers and sponsors
Pavel Eljanov receiving his trophy
Magnus Carlsen with his
In the first row, on the football pitch of the Shamkir stadium...
Watching a show of traditional music and dance

Shamkir Chess 2014 | A | Pairings & results

1 Carlsen,Magnus 2881 2868 phpfCo1l0.png 01 ½½ 11 11 6.5/10
2 Caruana,Fabiano 2783 2814 10 phpfCo1l0.png ½1 ½½ ½½ 01 5.5/10
3 Radjabov,Teimour 2713 2793 ½0 phpfCo1l0.png ½½ ½½ ½½ 5.0/10 25.50
4 Karjakin,Sergey 2772 2781 ½½ ½½ ½½ phpfCo1l0.png ½½ ½½ 5.0/10 25.00
5 Nakamura,Hikaru 2772 2781 00 ½½ ½½ ½½ phpfCo1l0.png 11 5.0/10 21.50
6 Mamedyarov,Shakhriyar 2760 2638 00 10 ½½ ½½ 00 phpfCo1l0.png 3.0/10

The rounds start at 12:00 Amsterdam, 6am New York and 3am Los Angeles time. The official website is www.shamkirchess.az. Chess.com offers daily live commentary at www.chess.com/tv. Games via TWICphpfCo1l0.png

20902 reads 86 comments
9 votes

Comments

SACHITANAND

better be the stairs...

eaglejorge

philidor would be proud ofhow carlsen plays thepawns  1750's book. seems like carlsen read it through and through.

albatrosses

You don't know how to listen indianharry. So many people have advised you to keep your irrational anti-Carlsen comments to yourself. They are nonsense troll comments. Respect Gashimov's memory by accepting that the convincing winner Magnus is in a class all his own. Lol

IndianHarry

I don't know how they are decided that I hate Carlsen I never did it in my comments. It seems you guys love Carlsen like anything there is nothing wrong in that but give respect to other grandmasters. Especially Carlsen lovers. Here I saw lot of comments Carlsen thrashes Anand and Carlsen crush Caruana and wrong comments against Nakamura. I never used this kind of comments. If I give comments about his play then I will be declared as Carlsen hater lol.

chikenalong

haters are gonna hate and indianharry is gonna indianharate. + hes 2200 online rating is a HUGE!!! fake trendmanrk. that is all I have to say.

Aaronsky72

Agreed ErwinSachs.

Carlsen victories seem to bring out all the racist trolls who have a problem with a Scandinavian man being the undisputed best chess player in the world, they tend to proclaim themselves to be the ambassadors and reporters of chess knowledge despite having a low rating. Then there are those who just hate the West.
    That leaves those who are plain jelly of Carlsen's achievements, I believe the Jelly school is accepting Carlsen-haters, the particularly bad ones are to be accepted into their advanced peanut butter and jelly program.

While taking big risks with dynamic play hoping to unsettle the opponent may be more exciting for the spectator, finding the best move in a position is more advisable and strategically correct, this is what Carlsen excels at.
    Note that carlsen does not excel at openings and often tries to take the game into unknown territory, this is the mark of a pure talent, someone who creates like an artist as opposed to those who rely on swathes of opening knowledge to gain an advantage.

ErwinSachs

Guys this thread is about Shamkir tourney & Vugar Gashimov and yet this page seems to have been hijacked by people with personal grievances.

Not in the best taste to say the least...............

albatrosses

Yes indianharry, it is a waste of time explaining to a biased person like you. With Carlsen's successes against modern super GMs, you really have no argument but your loyalty to Kasparov. I am not telling you to worship Carlsen but don't disparage his unprecedented achievements. Got it?

IndianHarry

albatrosses: If you think Carlsen is a god for you then worship yourself don't tell others to worship him. He can't match at anytime with Kasparov or Fischer. Carlsen games doesn't have that killer instinct like the greats. More over iam die hard fan of Kasparov, i admire each and every game of him. Go and analysis the best Games of Anand and you will see the difference between Carslen. I know its total waste of my time to explain a person who doesn't know the history of Chess.

albatrosses

Cowardly he is, just like indianharry. Making statements contradicted by reality.

zenomorphy

Goodwilled humor fellas, ...all it is :). Peace!

chikenalong

@indianharry. You are a certified Magnus' hater. Thats all I can say.

Wappinschaw

Forget the results,it's just great that all the top guys turned out in memory of Gashimov!

IndianHarry

Carlsen is a good player there is no doubt in that but he lacks killer instinct like Kasparov or Bobby fisher neither he doesn't a dynamic player like Anand or Ivanchuck. He is rock solid player like Karpov or petrosian it's hard to beat but it's hard for them to beat others unless opponent make mistake. Example if his opponent not playing for win he likes to draw against Carlsen he can get draw if he not make mistake. It shows clearly in this tournament by Caruana.

Lawdoginator

Magnus is the Man.

GMFranco2847

Although Carlseen's games are less flashy compared to the past, it is equally amazing to know how he slowly beats his opponents. Move by move, the opponents position is slowly deteriorating. Maybe the reason why you can't see brilliant tactical moves compared to the past because players nowadays are stronger than there predecessors. It could be just a few human errors drives them to defeat. Though I admire the boy, I am still a Kasparov fan.

NM Petrosianic

carlsen always ends the tournament on a comeback, so no news here.  Innocent  it's amazing carlsen wins half his games (5/10) against 2700+ players and still loses a bit of rating.

bigbikefan

Amen.

albatrosses

Chessdoggblack, the faithful chess reporter. Chuckles. Self proclaimed chess guru, the wise one with a hallowed perspective on any chess event. We marvel at your honor and majesty. We accept every word that comes from your mouth. Without you, the chess world will crash and lose any meaning. Chess opinions don't matter unless it matches your glorified assertions. You are the one, the appointed one from the heavens, who will please the chess Gods with your subtle messages of truth and righteousness. Hail to our faithful chess reporter!

fiberdust

Hey guys, Carlsen is the best player I've ever seen, he is not afraid of losing not just like other player , and he dont like a draw game . . . .