Carlsen Wins Bazna Kings 2011

• SonofPearl
  • on 6/21/11, 10:01 AM.

Carlsen1.jpgThe final round clash of the Bazna Kings tournament in Medias between joint leaders Magnus Carlsen and Sergey Karjakin ended as a draw, which meant that Carlsen finished as winner thanks to his superior tie-break score.

The regulations at the official website give the first tie-break as games won (Carlsen and Karjakin both won three), then games against each other (both were drawn), then the Neustadtl tie-break (Carlsen's score is superior, thanks mainly to his win against Nakamura).

By way of compensation, Sergey Karjakin has probably earned a place in the Bilbao Final Masters since Carlsen has already qualified by winning Nanjing last year.

Carlsen looks set to reclaim the #1 spot from Vishy Anand in the world rankings on the July rating list.  The latest 2700+ rankings can be seen on the live rating website.

Elsewhere, Vassily Ivanchuk awoke from his nightmare in the previous round to finish with an excellent win against Hikaru Nakamura.  The game between Teimour Radjabov and Liviu-Dieter Nisipeanu was a draw.

The final standings of Bazna Kings 2011:

Carlsen, Magnus  NOR 2815 ***  ½ ½  1 ½  ½ ½  ½ 1  1 ½  6.5 29.75
 Karjakin, Sergey  RUS 2776 ½ ½  ***  ½ ½  ½ ½  1 1  ½ 1  6.5 29.50
 Nakamura, Hikaru  USA 2774 0 ½  ½ ½  ***  ½ ½  ½ 0  1 ½  4.5 22.25
 Radjabov, Teimour  AZE 2744 ½ ½  ½ ½  ½ ½  ***  0 ½  ½ ½  4.5 23.50
 Ivanchuk, Vassily  UKR 2776 ½ 0  0 0  ½ 1  1 ½  ***  0 ½  4.0 18.75
 Nisipeanu, Liviu-Dieter  ROU 2662 0 ½  ½ 0  0 ½  ½ ½  1 ½  ***  4.0 19.25

Nakamura claimed third place ahead of Radjabov thanks to scoring more wins (one, against Nisipeanu!).  Similarly, Ivanchuk just avoided last place by virtue of his two wins against Nisipeanu's single victory (despite the fact that Nisipeanu's sole win was against Ivanchuk).

Got that? Good! Wink

10 votes

Comments

glennlmagnase

sori. 25points win. im also a magtown but im a bopols unlike maggie, my favorite food maggie.SmileWink

kyldyl

drumdaddy

He is the King! He is the Bazna! He is Magtown!

_valentin_

Excellent endgame play by Ivanchuk.  You couldn't believe on move 20 or 30 that he can squeeze a win out of this (small) advantage he had, but by move 40 it was starting to show.  Perhaps ongoing inaccuracies by Nakamura helped too, but nevertheless it was a solid achievement for Ivanchuk!

friendjonny

@CHEssGUEVARA

If I were in Carlsen's place, I certainly would've stayed out of the candidates as well, but for completely different reasons! Carlsen wanted a something like a round robin tournament Surprised. Ugh! The world champion should be determined by nothing less than a 24 game match between a challenger and a reigning world champion. A round robin tournament could maybe be used to help determine a challenger, but I think it would be odd to use a dinky round robin tournment to decide who would advance to a 24 game match! Matches should be involved somehow in the candidates (perhaps a system like the U.S. championship, round robins and then matches, except with more games in the matches of course).

ZIMBABWEFIRE

Carlsen for World Champ. The young guy is cool, calm and composed as well as catastrophic on the board. I like his style. Congrats man.

imsplori

Nice win for Carlsen... He attended the torunament with his father and ithink one of his sister...there were wery nice and happy..I even managed to take a photo with him (another piece in my showcase - all the photos are in my album here)

Gummyboy

Nice win to Carlsen.

CHEssGUEVARA

I actually thought that was a cool perpetual check from Carlsen to prevent losing the pawn.  I don't have a cpu engine or anything, but didn't it seem like taking Black's Knight on e4 with his own Knight on the 19th move was a better capture?  I'm only a 1250 player so I'm not to confident in my analysis.

Its nice to see Carlsen win after rightfully neglecting the goofy Candidates tournament.  Chess players need to fight that kind of crap.

I also wish Ivanchuk would of made it to 3rd or 4th, I find him amusing.  But its nice to see a United States native representing.

mattattack99

As a Slav player myself that irritates me.

SummerStorm

I am still somewhat in shock that Ivanchuk played an Exchange Slav. Who does that these days? It means to play for a win as Black you have to choose something other than a Slav.

Great chess in the main and a fantastic event for Carlsen. What's his TPR?

mattattack99

+7.4
    Chart 34 / 29.08.1976
    20 Vallejo Pons 2724.3
    +2.3
    Chart 28 / 21.08.1982

musiquismo

I dont understand the win of Ivanchuck, dosent on move 42, Nakamura can take Chucks Pawn?

jesterville

...oh yeah...watching the Norse God Thor...oops Magnus...sure makes exciting chess...we wait with abaited breath when he will indeed awake from his "Odin Sleep" and challenge for the WCC...I agree, any Candidates without this kid just does not cut the mustard.

Razzfazz

Congrats to Magnus-number one again- the forced draw was unless a bit unexciting...  Very beautiful game by Ivanchuk !!

fish_food

Any world championship title without Magnus Carlsen competing in the  cycle is somewhat meaningless.

fish_food

[COMMENT DELETED]

GeniusKJ

I oppose the current tie-break system... doesnt make much sense. They should've had to play a tie-breaker or be dual winners. Yea.. Carlsen did beat Naka but also let only beak Chucky once and give 1 draw where as Karjakin beat Chucky both times...

Change the tie break system! Congrats to Carlsen!

rorschach1985

Carlsen played a strong tournement start to finish.  Congrats to him on his first place finish.  I find it kinda odd that except for Ivanachuk everybody finished in the order of their rating.

I'm not sure I would agree with a tie-break though.  Everybody seemed up in arms about the tie-break system in the Candidates matches.  I tend to believe that rapid and blitz chess tie-breakers have no place in determining the outcome of a classical chess match or tournement.  The one exception that I would make would be in a swiss style tournement where everybody doesn't play everybody.  The example I give is from this year's European Championship where there was a three way tie for first.  However, there was a weird tie-breaking system where the person with the highest tournement ELO rating wins.  Which to me puts alot of the outcome of luck of the draw as to the ratings of the players an opponent faces.  I was bitterly disappointed that Judit Polgar that was one of the three that tied for first was deemed third because she played lower rated opponents.  In that case there should have been some kind of tie-break amongst the three of them to determine first place or.....horror of horrors...there are co-champions like in the good old days.

mattattack99

Karjakin will indeed take part in the Grand Slam Final.