Chess.com Launches The Master's Bulletin, Again!

• PeterDoggers
  • on 12/18/13, 11:03 AM.

This month Chess.com launched a PDF & PGN magazine called The Master's Bulletin, our first and only "subscription based" product, available for purchase separately from our premium membership products. As the editor, in this news post I'd like to inform you about this new magazine (which isn't completely new).

The Master's Bulletin will have articles on openings, middlegame and endgame as well as background stories. The magazine will be 20-30 pages, and will appear once a month. The authors will be GMs and IMs from around the world.

The price of this new magazine will be $7.99 for one issue / $39.99 for 6 months / $69.99 for one year. In Euros that is 5.85 for one issue / 29.25 for 6 months / 51.25 for one year. The first issue of The Master's Bulletin was published yesterday. Each issue should appear around the 15th of every month.

phpZC98Fd.jpeg

More infoSUBSCRIBE HERE -->

A similar magazine (with the same title!) was "tested" this summer, but this was only about openings and distributed to our titled members. You can find the archive of the The Master's Bulletin here. But, as said before, from now on it will be bigger and not for free anymore!

The Master's Bulletin, December 2013

For the first issue we immediately did something... different! We have created a special world championship issue that is bigger than normal. We have set ourselves the goal to produce a monthly magazine between 20 and 30 pages, but this month we got GM Dejan Bojkov to write an extra long, special featured article on the critical moments of the historic Anand-Carlsen match! He analyzed very thoroughly and delivered a magnificent piece on which he must have spent many hours.

It was a much-awaited match, and now that it has finished it can certainly be called historic. That’s why we decided that this month’s theoretical opening articles had to deal with Anand-Carlsen as well. GM Sergei Tiviakov wrote about the 4.d3 line of the Berlin Ruy Lopez, and GM Alexander Ipatov delved into the complications of the Sämisch Nimzo-Indian. (You will notice that these two articles have some overlap with Bojkov's piece, but that shouldn't really matter because Tiviakov and Ipatov focus more on the opening and besides, it might be interesting to compare the opinions of different GMs!)

Two former ChessVibes editors, IMs Arthur van de Oudeweetering and Robert Ris, are more or less continuing their columns from a previous magazine called ChessVibes Training. Arthur has selected a game (or rather two!) from the European Team Championship in Warsaw, Poland and reminds us of a famous story from the 1955 Goteborg Interzonal. From the same tournament comes an instructive ending analyzed by Robert, who will also take care of nine tactical exercises each month.

We finish each magazine with three instructive endgame studies selected by IM Yochanan Afek, another co-editor of the ChessVibes.com website. These studies will not appear there anymore.

All in all, we hope that we can provide you with interesting opening, middlegame and endgame material that should be especially useful for the ambitious, practical player!

phpZC98Fd.jpeg

More info | SUBSCRIBE HERE -->

9 votes

Comments

Gannicus_The_God2

I have reconsidered my position.... I may want to purchase this but can this come in hardcopy??????

tucumcari

I've given this some thought... I'll give you $2.99 for one issue / $29.99 for one year. Deal?

I_Am_Second

I have checked out the free past issues, and a couple were of some interest.  September i believe had an article on the Steinitz French, and October had a nice article on Aronian playing 3.Bf4 against the Dutch.

Is $8 a wise investment for some Master/Grandmaster analysis? I would say so, as long as its something you feel will help your game.

mattchess

I don't mind it being priced additionally, much as chessbase magazine is above and beyond a playchess.com membership for example.  But I do think that a diamond member should be offered a discount.

JRTK73

Chess.com can do what they like with their business. I think it makes sense that it is not free for premium members. This is because there is no such thing as something being free. All that would happen is the cost of premium membership would increase. Then those who did not want the magazine would still have to pay for it it would just be a hidden cost.

Personally I won't be purchasing it because it seems a little advanced for me. Extensive theory on the KID is probably interesting for those who play that but I don't think this will help me improve.

Muriustar

Before they let Peter run wild with bulletins and other enterprises, chess.com should make sure the lad takes better care when writing the chess news. As of now it reeks of copy / paste, a few commonplace sentences and just about no analysis of the games, which should be the most important feature...

Roma60

should be 3 for all. dont let chess go the same way as football

DarkJediNinja

I don't think that it should be free for Premium members if this means increasing current membership prices. But it looks quite expensive to me and I don't know how chess.com will get enough subscribers to the magazine without promoting it actively first (and this includes giving away the first releases to premium members for them to have a feeling if it is worth it's price).

xlote,

Benefits for premium members are not always clear. The table you posted is pretty clear but yesterday the web site presented me a similar one but with no Chess Mentor courses for Platinum and Gold members. I'm a Platinum member since 2012 and I have just learnt that I have right to 5 Chess Mentor classes a day only a week ago.

genilodermasolutions

I agree with GoatsRUs. Make the diagrams move electronically and I will get this.

GeniusKJ

@ Chess.com,

I love you guys and believe the "Master's Bulletin" is a wonderful addition to the site. However, I also agree with some other members here that it is overpriced.

Either way, I hope it does well.

Dio

The Bulletin looks great! Great work, Peter.

Not sure if others pointed this out, but your Leaderboard at the end of the Bulletin doesn't refelct active players. brute4ever's (http://www.chess.com/members/view/brute4ever) last game was on September, 9th and he is listed as the top Bullet player. I'm guessing a few others might not be correct as well.

GoatsRUs

When you make the damn diagrams move electronically I will read this....

pdela

"ICC membership for a year (especially when they do 10-20% discounts around holidays) costs less than this magazine subscription --- although, true, they do not annotate the games for you on the pgns given on their videos."

nothing to add

Gert-Jan

@xlote: you right about the higher price if they would put it in the premium membership. Good way of looking at it. So it better is not added to the premium when they put up the premium price.

nevertheless, even if Gasparov himsellf wrote it by hand, it is way too expensive.

piotr

I_Am_Second

Being a "premium" member is a choice that you made.  Expecting to get eveything free is rediculous.  You arent being asked to pay for this magazine, you are paying for the time the GM's and IM's put into it.

Just cuz youre a premium meber doesnt entitle you to free GM, and IM time.

TalsKnight

Honestly, they should give out the first issue for free just so we can decide if its worth getting.

Gone4Good

From owner to employee - that's just sad.

Buddy_Thompson

Sounds like a nice product. Hope it succeeds.

tucumcari

Should this product be free for premium chess.com members? No, not necessarily. And, compared to the Informant at $40/copy, this is a bargain. But then again it's not the Informant. It seems like that's what you're aiming at, though, and it's a great idea to have an Informant-type "publication" at a lesser price and albeit on a smaller scale. Still, the price initially does seem a bit high - especially for something that, if it were delivered via hardcopy, wouldn't really qualify as a "magazine" at all - more like a chess pamphlet. But we'll see. Good luck.