Chess.com News Is Changing...

• SonofPearl
  • on 6/4/13, 9:49 PM.

php1hukVt.jpeg

They say a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Well, my journey of a thousand news reports* started with a story in March 2008 about plans for the official website coverage of Vishy Anand’s world title defence against Vladimir Kramnik.

I ended up writing live news reports of every game from that match, which probably still ranks as one of the most exhilarating and exhausting things I’ve ever done! These days, thankfully, we have Chess.com TV for live coverage of major events!

Now, more than 5 years after my first news report, this is my last. I’ve decided to make time to pursue other interests. I'm sad to finish, but I think the time is right.

Many thanks to Erik for giving me the opportunity to write news reports at Chess.com, and thanks to all the Chess.com staff who have, without exception, been incredibly kind and helpful.

Finally, many thanks to all those members who have read my news reports and taken the time to comment over the years. I'll still be around as a member at Chess.com, but in the future I look forward to reading the chess news instead of writing it!

*actually, it's probably nearly 2,000 but I'm not going to try to count them all!

31 votes

Comments

himgouree

Thanks so much for all your postings

and the contributions you made to my postings!

I am glad you decided to stay!

anpu3

Well, dang.  I'm just now reading this sad news.  Sure we have live tv reports but enjoyed your articles much more.

Anyway, many thanks and good luck wherever the road takes you!

ElBrappo

I'll miss your writing.

Jobito

I will miss your creative compositions Sonofpearl....

Anatoly_Sergievsky

Thank you for years of writing- even as I moved away from online play to more in person games, I kept coming back to chess.com to read your articles. Many thanks!

feygooner

Thank you SonOfPearl!

scatterbeard

I always appreciated your reports.  You're leaving big shoes to fill.

Gajoashan

thanks sonofPearl for all your great articles!

paladin64

This has been wonderful - the really top stories without surfing the entire chess communities on web. Well done. It is part of my day and I will miss your writing.

JoseOchoa

Great Work! All the best for you in the future

Andromalius2002

LOL forget about you?!? I don't think so. You provide the best chess news coverage anywhere!

Thank you very much. Your successor will have to put in a lot of effort to equal your service to the chess community.

SonofPearl

Thanks again to everyone!  I'll still be around on the site as a member and, yes, there will still be chess news - including tournament coverage - at Chess.com in the future.

Pretty soon you'll have forgotten all about me... Wink

TheMagicianPaul

Thank you Ryan for all your hard work, I wish you best of luck in the future!

conanbarbarian

I've always enjoyed reading your news coverage and articles Mr.Emmett. Thank you for your contribution and hard work to make this site better for all those years.You'll be missed. I will probably visit chessvibes.com more often from now on. Cheers mate and best regards to you and your Mom Pearl!

Agentkuyan a.k.a. Snakehandler a.k.a.Rustyknife a.k.a. Conanbarbarian

Adrian_Kinnersley

First of all, thank you for your excellent articles. Second, does this mean that Chess.com won't be doing news coverage of tournaments and whatnot for free members anymore? (I don't know if Chess.com TV is restricted for free members or not.)

XavierPadilla

Ryan, sir:

Your news reports were among the better things in Chess.com for me, I will miss them very much! I hope you still participate in the making of Holiday's Puzzler.

Thank you, and good luck!

cyberdynsystemsmodel

will miss u buddyyyy

FM MikeKlein

Thanks Ryan for the years of hard work. You'll be missed and good luck in your other endeavors.

FM VPA

Congrats & keep it upKiss

Amandeep1

thanks you for all your hard work :) wish you the best ^_^!