Garry Kasparov: "A Very Good Sign For Chess"

• PeterDoggers
  • on 11/14/13, 10:11 AM.

Only a month after our long interview with Garry Kasparov in Tallinn, Chess.com got to speak to the 13th World Champion again. At the end of his two-day visit to the Anand-Carlsen World Championship match in Chennai, he gave his opinion on the match, and he also commented on the turmoil related to what he describes as "the lack of official recognition of my arrival". The interview is the bigger part of our game 4 video:

Transcript:

What do you think of match so far?

Definitely both players try hard to make sure that... The two games while I was here, they were very exciting, a lot of fun. That's what we expect from a World Championship: fighting chess, ideas, determination to play till the very end. I am also truly impressed by the enthusiasm of the crowd here, by the interest for the match, both on the spot and around the world.

I think that this match proves again that classic chess is not dead, there's still a lot of excitement and the World Championship match itself represents unique value, that must be protected. Ten years of the knockout tournament that was the disastrous experiment was more than enough even for Ilyumzhinov's FIDE to recognize that a World Championship match is something that cannot be touched and experimented with.

“The World Championship match itself represents unique value, that must be protected.”

Not by accident we have few champions over 125 years of the history of the World Championship matches; there are fifteen. There is a chance that the new name will emerge and be added to this list after Chennai. Whatever is the outcome of the match, I think it secures the image of the match for the general public. I also believe that the match and the interest for the match, and the organization, it all shows that chess is on the rise and I am really happy to state it.

And as a chess player, what do you think of the chess so far? Two quick draws, then two fighting games and also maybe Black doing very well so far? What is your "chess opinion"?

I think it was to be expected, the first two draws were like in heavyweight boxing, you know, maneuvering, making sure that you can feel the opponent. I wouldn't be critical of both players because of that. Then we saw a lot of fight and missed opportunities. As a matter of fact Black missed chances in both games!

I wouldn't make it as a system, so that Black did well and White was eventually escaping. Probably there is a certain element of... It's not by accident. I think both players with white expect to achieve something and it's not easy now, because the opponent is well prepared. They probably push a little bit too far, and then Black has a chance. Still, it remains to be seen. I will be very surprised actually when the decisive games will be won by Black. I still think whoever plays white will still have an opportunity to demonstrate that the advantage of a serve in chess still counts.

“I will be very surprised actually when the decisive games will be won by Black.”

Four draws at the start, is that an advantage to Magnus, or to Vishy, or none?

Four draws are for draws. It means the score is equal, 2-2. I'm not sure that these speculations have any ground, that you hear after game 1, "Oh, victory for Anand!" or after game 2, "Victory for Magnus!" No, draw! It means that the game has ended with no result. There are certain psychological advantages but it is not a victory. It can disappear the next day.

I think that if the match goes on longer without a result, probably Vishy will be getting a bit more confident, and actually because Magnus might become more nervous. But we're still talking about minor things. It's a psychological background. At the end of the day, you have to win the match.

“If the match goes on longer without a result, probably Vishy will be getting a bit more confident, and actually because Magnus might become more nervous.”

If it goes to the tiebreak, 6-6, then again, both players are great rapid chess players, or blitz players. But even if you look at a potential outcome of 6-6, it could be 12 draws, highly unlikely, somebody wins, somebody loses or two wins, two losses, less likely but still possible. It depends on what happens, so again the psychological background is very important. I think that 6-6 is likely but it's still my view that eventually Magnus can score one extra game and winning plus one is likely for Magnus.

I wasn't really planning to go into the whole FIDE/federation thing, treated with respect or not... Is there anything you would like to say or would you rather skip this subject?

I don't think this subject is that important. It was a little bit odd for me to actually see such arrogance from certain officials who were involved in the organization. Actually they could recognize that it was wrong and the next day they have changed the attitude. Which was also probably the result of the massive complaints on the internet, and Twitter and Facebook, from the Indian players and the Indian public.

Again, I think it has worked out for the advantage of the game of chess because it showed that a lot of people are following the match, and also, what makes me feel very happy and even excited, that many Indian fans actually were disappointed by the lack of official recognition of my arrival despite the fact that they knew that I was rooting for Magnus, I was not hiding it. Still, the interest of chess prevailed in the minds and again, I think it's a very good sign. It shows that chess in India is on the rise not just because of Vishy Anand, who played a phenomenal role of course, as role model and as a local hero, but it's a genuine interest. Again, it's a very good sign for chess.

“The interest of chess prevailed in the minds and I think it's a very good sign.”

20091 reads 62 comments
15 votes

Comments

sheron098

hello

my name is miss sherun,

i will like you to be my close friend,

if you accept it contact me at

(sherunwilliams@yahoo.com)

for my photos and more details about me,

thanks

sherun

mincmonster

All the champions alive would have been in order,there for Garry is on the right

?

the_aleph

Do Anand and Carlsen get on, does anyone know?

nameno1had

While I don't dispute that Kasparov is rather blunt at times and certainly has had every reason to be confident over the years. He has been cocky about his own ability and been rude to some people at times. I am still stunned that he didn't shake the hand of young Carlsen when they drew at a simul, after the game. I am in no way surprised he is pulling for Carlsen, despite any teacher/pupil relationship that may have developed. I think it is entirely possible Kasparov will try to take some credit for Magnus' winning this WCC, if he in fact does. It would only go to further reinforce his desire to be put on a pedestal.

His disdain over no one rolling out a red carpet for him at these world championships is telling. While I won't dispute it was a bit of D!@k move by FIDE officials,over Kasparov breaking away from FIDE no doubt, a humble man would have not worried about their wrongs and would have been upheld by the public outcry for not recognizing the greatest chess champion who has lived, to this point at least.

eaglejorge

Game 6. VIctory for Black(Challenger)

PRILSTONE

I respect Kaparov. I think Kasparov is a little bit frank rather than arrogant.

dlclaufer

Kasparov is beyond doubt one of the greatest Chess Grandmasters of our era.............He can be a great ambassador for the game as well..........but enough of Kasparov already.........he's a legend in his own mind.......and in many, many others...........including my own.

JEMORANGE

@ramkie, who else is a better champion for chess than Carlsen? He is young and hasnt even reached his full potential. He is a model and is trying to bring chess to the mainstream. I think he is the perfect new world champion if we want chess to go mainstream.

Sahasrara

Carlsen won game 5!

Bershevsky

carlsen wins!

octoberowl

good interview!

Bershevsky

I am watching the game at http://chennai2013.fide.com//fide-world-chess-championship-2013-live/. Thanks to TheGreatCreator.

It appears Carlsen is doing a psy-war. Standing up and leaving for the rest room right after he makes a move. His chair left with its back facing Anand. Carlsen is showing he is more relaxed. I think it is sinking into Anand who seems to be tight and somewhat annoyed. His body language is showing it. Or is just how both players play?

Am looking at move 11 as I write.

TheGreatCreator

Paulzzz

Garry Kasparov: "A Very Good Sign For Chess". There he is, like and old Jew, looking for signs and omens and pretending to be a politician. He is a sociable person and likes people's attention and publicity. However, since he gave up taking part in tournaments, he is like a king without kingdom.

ramkie

I can understand his fondness for Carlsen but then all his acts of expressing them just doesnt seem right... Its clear that hez trying to psychologically impact Anand by favoring carlsen and creating the same kind of environment among chess fans .. seems Anand's fighting Carlsen + Kasparov to retain his championship..
    Well, hez bcome more of a politician now than a chess player..and If hez really worried abt chess he should hope for a better player to win it.. not Carlsen..

buri

In general, I'm tired of hearing about Kasparov, but in this interview he was quite normal.

tigerrun

must be!!

Paulzzz

Garry as usual is open, enthusiastic and a little voluntaristic. He could make a good writer. In the past he was Carlsen's trainer, but not long enough. There would be much more chances for Magnus to become the world champion, if Garry kept on training him.

Riteshkhatwani

Kasparov as an ex-player......thumbs up....as a person....Thumbs Down.....also i really dont know as to how can u really favour "a player" in chess.....simply the one with better mind wins.....there is no element of luck at all....so can u say - May the (my favourite) player XYZ win against ABC though i know that the latter is more brainier"??

chesscrave1

Excellent article. I wish the comments were moderated here. I find them to be extremely offensive. Chess is chess. Everyone spreading nasty comments here needs to forget about politics and spend more time appreciating the intracacies of the game including the masters of such intracacies like our immortal Kasparov.