GM Finegold Resigns Position at CCSCSL

• SonofPearl
  • on 8/16/12, 10:09 AM.

PRESS RELEASE: SAINT LOUIS (August 15, 2012)

Grandmaster Ben Finegold has resigned his position as the Resident Grandmaster at the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis.

Citing personal reasons for his departure, Finegold and the Chess Club are parting on good terms, and the club hopes he will continue to support American Chess at all levels, from developing strong scholastic players to coaching players at the top tier.

GM Finegold was hired to be the Resident Grandmaster at the CCSCSL in January 2010, and he was integral in helping shape the growing scholastic chess movement in Saint Louis and in helping organize numerous world-class events.

Tony Rich, executive director of the CCSCSL, thanked GM Finegold for his service to the Chess Club.

“Ben was a valuable addition to our staff, and we are thankful for his expertise and input throughout his tenure here,” Rich said.

4 votes

Comments

EZASPI

Whatever the "personal reasons", I wish Ben good luck in his future endeavors. Looking forward, who will the Saint Louis Chess Club pick as a replacement? Very interesting.  Possibly Yasser?? That would be awesome! I have no special information on the subject but it's not so far-fetched an idea. Yasser has been at the club recently in the US Championships and that PR stunt with Karpov. There was a lot of publicity behind that event so plenty of "interview" time. Yasser's commentary on ICC is one of the best. Although I think Joel Benjamin is the best mainly because his Friday Game of the Week on ICC is so enjoyable to listen to. Whoever it is, more Chess programs are coming to the Saint Louis Club, Webster and Lindenwood! Saint Louis is coming into another phase of its Chess "evolution", and it looks amazing!

pawngenius

Loser

EZASPI

I just learned from a reliable source that Ben will not be the coach at Lindenwood. However, the Chess Club is in the process of finding a replacement Resident GM, and that individual will take over the coaching duties at Lindenwood.

zezpwn44

No you're not Maarten, at first I thought it meant that he lost a Correspondance game, lol.

Best of luck to him.

Estragon

He got a better offer and took it - like any other professional does.

Good luck Ben, and thanks!

Cool

ZZZzzz---

I have the upmost respect for Mr. Finegold. His struggle to become a GM is inspirational. The journey is remarkable and serves to inspire the rest of us who are not child prodigies. I am waving my cane cheering him on

EZASPI

I assume the timing of this coincides with the start of the Chess program at Lindenwood University where Lindenwood has retained Ben Finegold, as coach.

Story at: http://www.chess.com/news/lindenwood-launches-collegiate-chess-program-6558

dzindzifan

Best wishes, Ben! I really enjoyed your commentary with Jennifer on the US Chess Championship broadcasts!

Lawdoginator

This article is a little light. It's just a press release. We need more explanation.

MaartenSmit

Am I the only one who misinterpreted 'resigns position'?

NM Bab3s

Perhaps he thinks that being the resident grandmaster and coach of Lindenwood University's chess team will be too much for him? I hope that's all because I want to be able to go to the CCSCSL regularly when I'm at Lindenwood!

edrobin58

why he quit to go work where? Has he decided to devote his full time to his own chess improvement ?

permagrey

I really enjoy the St Louis Chess Club and Ben as well...He was a great commentator for the US Chess Championships....good luck Ben