Jeremy Silman Prepares Chess for Prime-Time TV!

• erik
  • on 7/24/08, 11:42 PM.

I got an email from IM Jeremy Silman (who writes some amazing Chess Mentor courses!!) today about a TV show he helped consult on =>

"MONK AND THE GENIUS is on USA Tomorrow evening (Friday July 25th)! If you love chess on TV, this episode is filled with realistic chess positions (I hope ... you never know what the editor might do!) and intrigue. I was the technical adviser for this episode, so catch the chess extravaganza and let me know if you enjoyed it. - Jeremy"http://www.newinchess.com/Common/Images/Authors/Silman,Jeremy.jpg

Jeremy Silman was there to make sure there were some accurate chess positions for the many many chess scenes in the upcoming show! Very cool!

Here is a link to info about the show Monk which I happen to love because I am a bit like the main character (an organization and cleanliness freak). Click here to read about Monk!

Enjoy the show - I already have it set to record :) (Channel 738 at 6pm on Comcast in NorCal :D)

One Vote
more Misc

Comments

DaEvangelist

If you international folks love Monk, or for those who don't get the USA network, Hulu.com has the full latest episodes.  Takes about a few days for new episodes to be posted, and there are about 3 or 4 commercials (20-30 seconds) through the show, but I believe that's a small price to pay to watch a great show.

I actually think it's better than watching on TV where you have to sit through 2-3 minutes of commercials during the commercial breaks (unless you have Tivo, which I do).

Loomis

I stand corrected. :-). The whole thing still turns my stomach a little.

likesforests

I agree it was a little disconcerting that they didn't make it more obvious, and that's compounded by calling it the "Bird" instead of the "Dutch".

likesforests

Loomis, I'm pretty sure I have it correct. It's not easy to see from the camera angle, but he played c4 before pressing the clock and saying "It's your move." Here is a screen capture that makes matters clearer. The c-pawn is advanced to c4 before Julie moves.

Loomis

likesforests, I think you got the game wrong slightly. And this was very disturbing to me. Julie sits down at the board with the black pieces in front of her and before anything happens the GM says "it's your move". Oh, heavens. So, she plays 1. f5 and he responds with his comment about "the Birds", which of course is 1. f4 for white.

No doubt they had the game moves and the name of the opening, perhaps from Silman, and when it came down to actually filming the scene someone had messed up the colors of the pieces. How can the entire production staff not know that white moves first in chess??

Quote of the show: "Castling, it's where the king and the rook switch places." Well, almost I guess.

RooksBailey

For those of you who missed the episode, I posted a link for watching it online here (sorry, I missed this news blurb somehow and started a new thread Frown).

erik

for what it's worth, i received an email from a very very disappointed Silman this morning :(

likesforests

I agree with DeepNf3. The chess in that episode was silly...

PaulMag

I always watch Monk at USA, but I never heard that their are chess moves there!

erik

i haven't watched it yet. also, you have no idea what the director did or did not include. i know they just wanted him present to make sure the chess positions were valid and good ones :)

DeepNf3

I just watched the thing and I can tell you that there was nothing in that episode for which they could have needed Silman's assistance, Silman was just pulling your leg, in my opinion he was never anywhere close to the filming and or writing of that episode

SonofPearl

I like the show too, but I guess it will take some time before this episode gets shown in the UK. Cry

Don1

Thanks Erik. i get into watching Monk quite often myself &  i'll go out of my way for anything to do with chess, even though it's poorly represented on TV.

likesforests

I'll definitely be watching. It's nice (and rare) that a show tries to get it right. :)