Kasparov Arrested At Pussy Riot Trial

• SonofPearl
  • on 8/17/12, 8:47 AM.

Former chess champion Garry Kasparov has been arrested at a protest outside a Moscow court.

Inside the courtroom, the feminist Russian punk-rock group Pussy Riot were convicted of "hooliganism" which the judge said was driven by religious hatred.  The case relates to an incident in March when members of the group staged a protest against Russian leader Vladimir Putin by singing a protest song inside a Russian Orthodox Church in Moscow.

As two-year prison sentences were handed down to three members of Pussy Riot, many protesters outside the courtroom were being arrested including Garry Kasparov, who retired from competitive chess in 2005 to support anti-Putin political movements within Russia.

An update at Kasparov's Facebook page said, "Garry Kasparov has just been arrested outside the Moscow courthouse where the Pussy Riot trial is taking place. He was not there to protest, simply to attend, and the police cornered him and dragged him into the police van. This photo shows the police assaulting him inside the van. (Photo by Olaf Koens).

Kasparov being forcibly detained (and allegedly beaten)

Kasparov arrested 2012 at pussy riot trial.jpg

Later updates added, "We just spoke to Garry on the phone. He is at the police station. He was beaten but says he is okay. He isn't sure what will happen next. It seems the police are waiting for orders from above. He says he was standing calmly speaking with journalists when police pushed through and grabbed him".

"Incredibly, Moscow police say they are going to go forward with investigating a "biting incident of a police officer" during Kasparov's arrest! Reached by phone a few minutes ago, Garry called it "nonsense". He was simply speaking to reporters when the police dragged him away and assaulted him in the police van. It appears the police are looking for a way to justify the violent arrest".

Members of Pussy Riot

Pussy Riot.jpg

Video footage of Kasparov's arrest can be found at this BBC news report.

UPDATE: Garry Kasparov tweeted: "I am out of police custody, going to emergency room to check my injuries and to prove that I am not drunk or biting anyone!"

UPDATE 2: More video footage of Kasparov's arrest.

19650 reads 247 comments
12 votes

Comments

vischtxy

GO the sound it doesnt matter , the chess player need you |Cool

SonofPearl

ENOUGH! Any further irrelevant comments will be deleted (and even relevant ones had better look out!Wink).  Take your petty arguments, insults and point scoring elsewhere people - you know who you are.

_valentin_

Thank you all!

gestor

valentin,

I agree with You. No need to discuss any more. Everybody can check out who resorted to agruments and who resorted to insults here.

Best regards !

bolshevikhellraiser

I've come to the conclusion that reasoning with these people is a lost cause. that is why I resorted to insults.

64idi0t

lol, again

64idi0t

@_valentin_

You are right.

Just in case one wants to discover what the notion of fallacy is, check the link below

bolshevikhellraiser

Whatever that's suppose to mean. Now your talking gibberish. May I give you a little advice? Try to apply logic to your convictions. Well, you maybe  trying but you're not succeeding, and that is not a distortion of meaning. You don't need aristotle to define fallacy, try using a dictionary, because you're becoming confused somewhere down the line.

_valentin_

Do you guys expect to reach an agreement at some point?  Or perhaps to convince your opposition of something (e.g., that they are wrong in their views)?

If neither, may we all consider the discussion complete?

64idi0t

LOL.

It is amusing for me to listen exposition of distorted notions, but only for a moment.

If one would not have been trained to distort the notion of fallacy, expressed clearly some thousands years ago, one would not have distorted the meanings of other notions, such as free speech.

Don't be shy, I'll might return some day to read it.

bolshevikhellraiser

A fallacie is a misleading, false, or unsound notion, belief,or argument and that is exactly what that was. You  were misleading by presenting yourself as the opposite, and you weren't because you were being an insulting jerk. You follow?

64idi0t

No, being an insulting jerk for calling someone insulting jerk is not a fallacy. For definition of fallacy one can check Aristotle's Topika and Analytics 1 and 2. That is, one can check it once one wants to speaks with merit, but obviously not everyone is able for that.

bolshevikhellraiser

Well, if it's getting too hot step out of the kitchen, sonny boy.

bolshevikhellraiser

Don't play games with me son. It is clearly evident who you were talking about.

gestor

bolshevikhellraiser,

can,t You see how much paradoxical Your statment is ? You clame that my oppinion is irellevant, meanningless....but You still try to argue with me ?! The very moment You stayed with no arguments in our disscusion with Kaspy and Pussy as topic, You started to insult me, my country, my countrymen.......

Enjoy your day, leave me alone and try to find some other target for your hatred.

64idi0t

I haven't mentioned anyone explicitly in my previous post. If one has found similarities with oneself, that is not my problem. One should not shoot oneself's leg.

bolshevikhellraiser

@64 idiot Can you not see the irony and hypocrisy in your statement? You are condemning me for being an "insulting jerk". Well, you're and insulting jerk for calling me an insulting jerk. This is what's known as a fallacie.

64idi0t

LOL.

It takes so little for advocates of free speech to expose themselves as insulting jerks once they face a reasoned attitude expressed by the very same free speech they supposedly support.

bolshevikhellraiser

I don't care who you said it for. I still don't give a flying flip, and I am not trying to prevent you from discussing your meaningless, idiotic, and irrelevant opinion, because anybody with any sense at all can see that you obviously don't know what your talking about, however politely you may put it. ohh and god blessInnocent

gestor

bolshvevikhellraiser,

I did not say what I love for You, but for the record here. Wherever I stay, doesn,t metter, internet is everywhere, so people like You can not stop me to duscuss pollitely with other people who do not share my oppinion.

God bless You !