Larry Kaufman Wins World Senior Title

• SonofPearl
  • on 11/9/08, 5:36 AM.

The veteran American IM Larry Kaufman (pictured) has won the 2008 Senior World Chess Championship, held in Bad Zwischenahn, Germany.  By winning the title, he automatically becomes a GM!  Congratulations Larry!

Over 300 entrants aged over 60 battled it out for the title in an 11 round Swiss tournament. The final result was a tie between Larry Kaufman and GM Mihai Suba of Romania on 9/11, but Larry won by having a better tie-break score.

Larry is well known as one of the team behind the World Champion computer chess engine Rybka, and is also one of the strongest Shogi players in the west.

There was a separate senior women's world championship alongside the open event, which was won by WFM Tamara Vilerte with a score of 8/11.

Here is one of Larry's wins against a GM during the championship.

2 votes

Larry,Richard G. said to contact you,job well done!!!

That's my dad!!! I couldn't be prouder of any other dad in the world.. You are the coolest person ever! Sealed

great play

Great technique!

Well done GM Larry Kaufman

Congrats mate , really good result there!.....but......erm.......is that is own hair???! :-)

Wow! nice syrup Larry! Sealed

congratulation,Mr Larry.you are great player.

I actually played over the board with the man.  He gave me a queen handicap, and still destroyed me!  Curiously, though, when he gave me a queen AND a knight, I won.  Go figure!

Congraturation on great achievement, Larry.

In the article above, the link to Shogi in wikipedia exists. Furthermore, I would like to add good video series of How to play Shogi available to watch on Youtube from this September onwards for those who are interested in that game.

This outstanding result for Larry K. is on the heels of his winning the US Senior championship.  The man's having a great year!

Congratulations to Larry!

I like the White 44th move kf2 =Octogon shape.Its gives White through good super protections at all times.No way that Black can get in there to attack the King at any time whatsoever.Very good excellence move. Congratulations on winning the 2008 Senior World Chess Champion and by becoming a GM as well too Mr. Larry Kaufman.

welldone!!! and most remarkable thing is you become a GM!!! keep it up

Congratulations, you play hard, I participated on boca raton senior open when you won and you won tha rapid too, you are a GM. J E Dominguez.

All my congratulations for this good result GM Larry !Laughing

I once played Larry Kaufman in an OTB tournament many years ago.  He is truly a nice man. Congratulations Larry.

---  Frank Johnson/shootfilm.net  ---

Congratulations Mr. Kaufman.

Congratulations, Mr. Kaufman! It is great to be a winner at any age! Especially when it is your long-expected achievement - congratulations, grandmaster!

And, of course, I congratulate my compatriot, Tamara Vilerte. It's also not only a personal win - this is a honour for our country. Thank You!