Magnus Carlsen: A Model Grandmaster

• SonofPearl
  • on 7/7/10, 12:02 PM.

Carlsen_G_Star_RAW2.jpgNot many chess players achieve a degree of celebrity that allows them to be recognized and even feted in the mainstream media.

Magnus Carlsen's image took a new direction today as he embarked on a career as a model for G-Star! Cool

G-Star are a trendy Dutch clothing brand that specialise in what they call 'RAW' denim - an unwashed and untreated form of the fabric.  The sort of thing that has graced the catwalks in New York Fashion Week for the last 2 years.

The latest G-Star advertising campaign, launched in Berlin today, also features the American actress Liv Tyler. Her Elo rating is probably less impressive, but she may just have the edge in modelling experience.

A video of the pair at the official photo shoot can be found here.  All photos were taken by Anton Corbijn for G-Star.

This news item quotes Carlsen on his new venture, "I think people will be surprised to see me like this. Surely just as surprised as I was when I was picked for this," he said.

More photos can be found here and here.

Also, on September 10 the Cooper Square Hotel in NY City will host the "RAW World Chess Challenge". Everyone in the world is invited to play Magnus live on the web.  Three GMs will suggest moves and a vote will decide which one is played [UPDATE - the 3 GMs are reportedly Hikaru Nakamura, Judit Polgar and Maxime Vachier-Lagrave].

A video advertising the event is here.

Carlsen_G_Star_RAW.jpg

4 votes

Comments

chicando

nice to hear that such head is not for chess only.

adeeel

Sellout.

meow159

wew

Nostradamus14

It looks like he would make a good Spy! he should do Spying.

Ian_Sinclair

He is a smart young man, investing in other things apart from his chess. This will bring him more sponsoring chances later and boost chess imagine in general as the woman have been trying to do as well i noticed. I do think he is better as a good guy then a tough guy, but then again I'm not the one having to face this genius on the chess either hahaha.

bastiaan

He's a convincing g-star model.

PhilipN

Nice one, oinquarki:)

Is it just me, or is there something in that hair (and perhaps even in other elements of the "model version" of his appearance) that is reminiscent of Garry Kasparov's appearance back in the '80s?

DaniloDeLuna

with that game frown, he can be a movie star.

"LIsten Levm'ron ssshhwingg I didn't release that bloody rook on a3"

oinquarki

Come on buddy! Cheer up! Turn that frown upsidedown!

oscartheman

Very funny... But he doesn't look that bad. I dunno, I'ma guy, what do you girls think?

Great for chess! Girls rate Magnus 1-10, or simply give your opinion, pls, i'd love to hear it!

Baum

hes crinkling his nose!!! XD

siamesenightmare93

two things to say:

1. great pun in the title.

2. for those who would criticize his career direction, just remember how much better a player he is than you. show some respect for somebody who is breaking millions of barriers and bringing publicity to chess, nonetheless. and once again, much better than you, or me, or anybody, seeing as hes #1.

Syzygy39

This can only be good for chess.  In my business it is said that, "there is no such thing as bad publicity."  With Karpov poised to bring international chess back into the spotlight who better to be in front of the cameras than Magnus?  Meanwhile, Anand does nothing but show class and would make a perfect balance to Carlsen's youth should the two meet in two years.

AnthonyCG

Why is everybody hatin on the Magnus?

I say good for him. Chess isn't everything...

ZeljkoITF

I think everyone shoud stick to what he knows best.. and that aint modeling for him. I mean.. he is a chess genious but I dont see him as a model. Even theese pictures dont look something to me.

RogerJohnsen

He's got a distinctive appearance, and who could say no to Anton Corbijn, so why not.

Timome

DaniloDeLuna.. Just lol! Hahahaaha! XD

And Nostradamus14... ... ... U have thus far lost the right to be taken seriously.

_simus_

charlesgalofre, I can see where you're coming from in the sense that chess needs more exposure, but I think it needs more exposure for just being chess like Bobby Fischer did - not for modeling like Anna Kournikova did with tennis.

cazdura

A guy should do what makes him happy. Who knows. chess could be a stepping stone to his real calling. Go ahead man, the world is talking about you.

SuleBoia