Magnus Carlsen Kicks Off Real Madrid vs Real Valladolid

• PeterDoggers
  • on 12/1/13, 1:11 AM.

On Saturday night Magnus Carlsen performed the kick off for the football match Real Madrid vs. Real Valladolid. The Norwegian chess player, who became World Champion last week, was wearing a Real Madrid shirt with 'Magnus' on his back. The home team won the match 4-0 with three goals by Gareth Bale.

"It was super cool, it was great for a football fan," said Carlsen to the Norwegian newspaper VG in the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, late Saturday night. "I had planned to stay home and relax, but this was something I could not say no to."

It was the perfect birthday gift for Carlsen, who turned 23 on Saturday, eight days after winning the chess crown. A big Real Madrid fan, Carlsen was personally invited by Florentino Perez, President of Real Madrid. For the eyes of about 70,000 spectators, Carlsen kicked off the match, applauded by players and also the referee. Xabi Alonso gave Carlsen a " high five " when he left the grass carpet.

It's common for football matches in La Liga to be kicked off by celebrities. In the video below, the commentators clearly have no idea who the celebrity is, but maybe they will next time!

Carlsen met with big names such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Zinedine Zidane and Gareth Bale, who scored three times in the match. "I talked a bit with Xabi Alonso and he was very impressed with what I've been doing. I 've been a big fan of him for long, so that was good, said Carlsen to VG. Asked whether some of the players play chess, Carlsen said: "I do not know, and it's hard to say. The referee played chess!"

9 votes

Comments

sheron098

hello

my name is miss sherun,

i will like you to be my close friend,

if you accept it contact me at

(sherunwilliams@yahoo.com)

for my photos and more details about me,

thanks

sherun

tesasembiring

did Magnus make a goal as a world champhion?,hehehe (laughs)

yogiOK

Being World Champion is like a season pass to many other sporting venues. And face it, every sports star wants to be photographed with such a star and mind of chess.

HakoneRider

C'mon soccer commentators.. He's not a spanish sports star or a Norwegan GM.. (yes I write the same way what Real Madrid tweets), he's the World Champion !

shashanganramesh

carlsen is a gud footchess player

Zinsch

@Kepheus: Right. Barca clearly does not depend on Messi, as evidenced by there suprime performance last season, when Messi was injured ... oh wait.

m_musumeci

lmfao @ eien

bigbikefan

As one football headcoach suggested to his team: "Football ain't chess - you've gotten to think there!"

nibir

Visca El Barca Cool

heinzie

crazyim5

He is not just a Norwegian GM. Real Madrid FC twitter should have addressed him as "World Champion".

chessrook1234

Hope Real Madrid does not play like BC Boring Carlsen...and patient waits without scoring...scores only in extra time..lol..just kidding...nice to see Carlsen Awe stuck seeing the soccar players.

Aloken

eien

Lucky of us that he was a Real Madrid fan. Had he shaken hands with Messi, the universe itself would have imploded.

cimzowitsch

Bayern Munich would be the next ...

KenyDurant

Seeing a celebrity get starstruck is awesome.

WTF-Hungary

Hala Madrid !

Kepheus

I am not pleased seeing MC at RM. But perhaps as a chessplayer you have to like Real and their individualsport. On the other hand, without the combinational teamskills of Barca, I'd had quit on soccer much earlier.

real is nothing w/o CR9, Messi is nothing w/o Barca.

More ways than one lead to the championsleaguetitle, it seems.

myloxylo

One more reason not to like Carlsen (Barca supporter here) ;)

Catorce_FCB

Oh the horror! As a fanatic FC Barcelona supporter I don't know what to do :( Love the chess player Carlsen, but seeing him in that jersey...