Mikhail Botvinnik 100th Anniversary

• SonofPearl
  • on 8/17/11, 11:52 AM.

Mikhail Botvinnik5.jpgToday is the 100th Anniversary of the birth of Mikhail Moiseyevich Botvinnik (1911-1995), the sixth World Chess Champion, and one of greatest chess players of the 20th Century.

Botvinnik was a patriarch of modern Soviet chess, and in addition to holding the title for most of the years from 1948-1963, he founded a very successful chess school which tutored many great players including future world champions Anatoly Karpov and Garry Kasparov.

Botvinnik adopted a very serious and scientific approach to his chess studies, despite maintaining a successful career as an electrical engineer in the Soviet Union.

The Russian Chess Federation is marking the occasion with a series of events, including a rapid double round-robin competition from 2-3 September in Moscow between Vishy Anand, Magnus Carlsen, Lev Aronian and Vladimir Kramnik.

But before then, today's anniversary is being marked by a veterans round robin rapid tournament featuring Viktor Korchnoi as top seed.

The standings after 6 rounds:

Name       Elo Nat Pts
 Korchnoi, Viktor 2553 SUI 5.0
 Portisch, Lajos 2523 HUN 3.5
 Vasiukov, Evgeni 2455 RUS 3.5
 Nikitin, Aleksander S 2430 RUS 3.5
 Chernikov, Oleg L 2402 RUS 2.5
 Uhlmann, Wolfgang 2379 GER 2.5
 Ivkov, Borislav 2416 SRB 2.5
 Zaitsev, Igor A 2408 RUS 2.5
 Bykhovsky, Anatoly A 2354 RUS 2.5
 Taimanov, Mark E 2386 RUS 2.0

The official website with more information (in Russian) is here.

2 votes

Comments

fish_food

@Kornrade --- Very funny!

Kornrade

I suspect Korchnoi is keeping is shape in order to win the tourney in honour of his 100th birthday...

tesasembiring

I think Botvinnik as famous as Najdorf in chess history, the game of Najdorf in early years was awesome, but we must make Botvinnik monument in his 100 years.

tesasembiring

I can not imagine the game of Victor, he is 80 years old this year, but he play the same when he againts Fischer, i just looked Korchnoi v Zaitsev, i am 30s but i couldn see Nf7 combination...

cetkovic123

I am in the same age as Viktor Korchnoy and still playing chess on three different

sites.I agree that chess playing helps very much in keeping the brain in good  state.

So, I follow his games long time and it makes me great pleasure. I wish him to  play

chess in next years as now.

cetkovic123

chess in next years as now.

chalaco

Nice games korchnoi !!

Spektrowski

Botvinnik Memorial final standings:

1. Viktor Korchnoi - 7/9

2. Evgeni Vasiukov - 6/9

3. Lajos Portisch - 5/9

4-5. Igor Zaitsev - 4.5/9

Borislav Ivkov - 4.5/9

6-8. Alexander Nikitin - 4/9

Wolfgang Uhlmann - 4/9

Oleg Chernikov - 4/9

9. Anatoly Bykhovsky - 3.5/9

10. Mark Taimanov - 2.5/9

Boris Spassky was invited to play, but ultimately got replaced with Oleg Chernikov. That's sad.

zenos

korchnoi is still playing chess very very well!!...

Spektrowski

Just for interest: scores between the veterans (and their scores against Botvinnik) according to chessgames.com

Botvinnik - Korchnoi +1-1=2, game span: 1952-1960

Uhlmann - Ivkov +0-6=13, game span: 1957-1976
    Uhlmann - Taimanov +1-4=10, game span: 1956-1984

Ivkov - I. Zaitsev +0-1=2, game span: 1970-1980
    Ivkov - Taimanov +4-0=6, game span: 1955-1970

I. Zaitsev - Taimanov +0-0=2, game span 1969-1995

Bykhovsky - Taimanov +0-0=1, only game in 1965

Many of them, it seems, will play their first ever tournament games against each other at this event!

Pavrey

Korchnoi is a legend - I have seen a game which he played against his bitter rival Petrosian in 1945!

Mikedr99

Victor has an awesome rating!

markronilodevera

viva k0rchn0i

Spektrowski

There is only one player who's older than Korchnoi in this tournament.

Mark Taimanov is 85 years old, Korchnoi is 80, Vasyukov - 78, Ivkov and Bykhovsky - 77, Nikitin and Uhlmann - 76, Portisch and Chernikov - 74, Zaitsev - 73.

The tournament's chief arbiter is 89 years old Yuri Averbakh.

karangtarunasemarang

thanks....

Kolkhoznik

At first I was going to say that Korchnoi's example proves that chess keeps Alzheimer's away.  But then I realized that Fischer got it at an early age.  So I guess you just never know.

Desafiante

Botvinnik have influenced me very much. Nice remembrance, chess,com!

fish_food

Korchnoi is truly amazing...

In fact, he had to revise his best games collection ,because his career is so long, so that he could include recent games!

Go Korchnoi!!

NimzoRoy

It's nice to see VIctor the Terrible is still playing chess very successfully at age 80!

ChessMarkstheSpot