Nakamura Pushes, Draws, Still Leads in St. Louis

• FM MikeKlein
  • on 9/11/13, 5:22 PM.

GM Hikaru Nakamura's prospects at the Sinquefield Cup remain bright, and he felt like wearing shades. Although he was unable to press enough to take out GM Magnus Carlsen for the first time, the bespectacled tournament leader got the better end of a drawn game to lead with 2.5/3.

Carlsen remains in second place with 2/3, though the drumbeat of one of his rivals got a little bit louder. Nakamura was the aggressor as Black and was on the verge of finding a winning plan; even so, he moved up to world number four on the live ratings list.

php7rIXPR.jpeg

Nakamura, looking at home at the poker table

Nakamura got a big time advantage, and spent much of it on 18...Ne4. He decided upon the tactical complications of the discovered attack after 17 minutes of thought. Other options included the equally-pressing 18...e5 or the more staid 18...Re8.

"There were so many possibilities, I couldn't calculate them all," Carlsen said about his opponent's 18th move. "I'm never really surprised when he plays aggressively."

"Hikaru's played a very bold game today," commentator GM Yasser Seirawan said.

"There was some line that I saw that I could take on a4 with both rooks, though White plays g4 and I'm not sure if I can break through," Nakamura said of an alternate winning attempt. He said even if he could have won the a-pawn and sacrificed the exchange for the c-pawn, it still might not be enough. "The other question is if I can win the four against three," he said of that rook endgame.

phpeHFkOK.jpeg

Carlsen, looking uncomfortable for the first time in St. Louis

In the final position, the only idea left is for Black to block the long diagonal by getting both ...e5 and ...e4 in play. Carlsen was not prepared to let this happen. "If he tries to go ...e5, I go e4 myself. He's risking as much as I am. Nakamura concurred, explaining that after the bishop transfers to the h3-c8 diagonal, he could even be worse.

On the choice of sunglasses, Nakamura said he remembered Pal Benko wearing the against Mikhail Tal in 1959. He said that he had extra motivation to win today, since it is both the anniversary of the September 11th attacks on New York, his childhood city, and it is also his stepfather's birthday.

For his part, Carlsen did not take exception to the attire.

phppjTUG3.jpeg

Commentators WGM Jennifer Shahade and GM Yasser Seirawan got in on the act

phpwAJwwz.jpeg

As did commentator GM Maurice Ashley, who may be channeling former student Will Smith in "Men in Black"

In the other game, GM Gata Kamsky changed his tune completely, playing more unambitiously and splitting the point with GM Levon Aronian. Kamsky got on the scoreboard for the first time (0.5/3) while Aronian (1/3) drew for the second game in a row, but this time without as much suffering.

"I was playing the opening just to make a draw, but I screwed up and Black was even better," Kamsky said. "The last two games I realized I'm not really in good form. I needed to save my energy for after the rest day."

"I didn't really play well in the starting phase but I had a really nice position at move number 15," Aronian said.

As White, placid opening moves for like 3. c3 don't get played by Kamsky often. "The first two games I took risks and I lost," Kamsky said. "I decided no more active chess. Draw, and go home."

phpvfUIzR.jpeg

"I tried to make him play for a win!" Aronian said, explaining that he suspected his struggling opponent might not go for much. "I'm [also] trying to recover from a pretty lousy start."

Like his friend Carlsen, Aronian did not make much of Nakamura's sunglasses. "He played in a cap before, so I don't know what comes next," Aronian said.

The four players have a rest day tomorrow; they will resume the event Friday at 1:00 p.m. Central, 2:00 p.m. Eastern. Chess.com/tv will cover this round live (free for all members), as well as rounds five and six over the weekend.

Looking ahead, the two tournament leaders meet again, with colors reversed, Saturday. "The game with Hikaru in the 5th round will be a big one," Carlsen said.

1. GM Hikaru Nakamura (2774) - 2.5/3

2. GM Magnus Carlsen (2862) - 2.0/3

3. GM Levon Aronian (2802) - 1/3

4. GM Gata Kamsky (2773) - 0.5/3

One Vote

Comments

CP6033

boom Aronian Beat Naka in round 4!!

peacefulblue

Re Naka's 18th move: In the alternatives to 18 ... Ne4, the article mentions the equally pressing 18. .... e5 and more staid 18. .... Re8. Couldn't the last move alternative be 18. ... Rd8? Top engines including Stockfish 4 seem to give Rd8 as the best move after running for 2 hours deep analysis?

chessrook1234

Naka rocks!!! he will beat Carlsen with white - even without those glasses..lol!!

CP6033

i would put my money on Carlsen. He had a bad day yesterday, but on Friday he'll be back strong as ever/ Naka got the best of Aronian when Aronian blundered away a drawn game. On Friday Aronian won't make the same mistake twice!

chessdoggblack

Just as I thought! Naka has played many back to back tournaments and is climbing up the world chess ladder. 4th in the world, man that's moving like a high speed express train: get out of my way! That's a lot of improvement in the last year. Naka needs this tournament bad, it has been a long time. If he should win, he'll feel like he's on top of the world; with much more to come. Nice tactic with the sunglasses. Very rare move, but a much needed one. Naka feeling fresh in chess: man on a mission.Cool

Steve212000

Naka is #4,wow! Any chance he can join the candidates on rating,or as a wild card,or is the field set?

Wappinschaw

To be 60 elo higher than your nearest challenger is astonishing.

JKDV

If memory serves me correct, Benko was scared that Tal (the "Magician") would hypnotise him to make him lose and so had a genius refute- sunglasses!

Edgarpoo

The Americans have sunglasses... Maybe als act of condolences for 9/11!!!??

BadChessPlayerHere

What does Nakamura play with sunglasses?

Is he high or something?

davidmelbourne

Article really captures the spirit of the day's events:) Also, the tv type coverage is great; gotta luv Maurice!

Czechman

friendjonny

All these news stories keep referencing a rivalry between Magnus Carlsen and Nakamura. When did this rivalry start? What am I missing?

MindWalk

What does "FTW" mean?

sugamana

Good game by  Naka.

Eve1988

@chess_pune dont try to be funny

rahul_nvidia

Is he wearing google glasses ?? i can see haudini running underneath it :P

Bulentovski

I think Jennifer and Yasser are more interesting than the games played last night :)

chess_pune

Carlsen's Body laungage not very great ..... looks like his chess is peaking out...... Vishy will get the best of him soon.

b2b2

Unsure about either player's form.  Both players played for the same position.  Carlsen blunders, Nakamura draws.

- 10.d5 saves a tempo over 10.b3?  Carlsen missed Hikaru's Bf5, winning the exchange.

- Nakamura - wins the exchange but unable to find the win.