Radical Chess Coverage Plans Revealed

• SonofPearl
  • on 4/1/13, 3:09 AM.

phpbHMzRl.jpegWith the 2013 Candidates Tournament reaching its conclusion in London today, the full extent of future plans for coverage of major events in the World Chess Championship cycle have been revealed.

The organisational rights for the World Chess Championship and associated qualifying events belong to AGON, headed by technology entrepreneur Andrew Paulson.

The "Chesscasting" system used in the coverage of the London Candidates Tournament is just the start of a raft of new ideas to modernise the coverage of chess to appeal to a broader audience.

The Chesscasting metrics used during the Candidates have simply been derived from the computer engine's evaluation of the position, into these factors:

• Material
  • King Safety
  • Pawn Structure
  • Mobility

London Candidates coverage showing the position evaluation broken down into factors

php8QUWmW.jpeg

However, in future events, the players will be wired up to take biometric measurements as well.  These should include:

• Blood Pressure
  • Pulse
  • Skin Resistivity (sweating)

Ultimately the plan is to track eye movements as well, so the audience can tell where the players are looking!  Chesscasting's motto is "making the invisible, visible".  They're not kidding!

Of course, the organisers will need the approval of the players concerned for this sort of testing, and some may not be happy to have their vital functions measured during a game. So whether such biometric testing becomes a standard part of the internet coverage remains to be seen.

Andrew Paulson photo by Ray Morris-Hill.

3 votes

Comments

repossession

I initially passed this off as an April Fool's joke, then I read the same thing in a more serious context, on a different day. Wow.

pieace

good grief.  no vital sign monitoring please.  liked the board, pieces and live video though.

LilJerseyFlowerCAT

YES, as SamLowry said, the pieces and fonts are HORRIBLE and were really disappointing during the games. I hope they receive enough such feedback that they change them.

Gigatt78

Yes with monetary value players will agree perhaps if none who will concur with this idea

C0ldSh0ckW1z

Biometric measurements are unnecessary.  We can already glean a lot from just observing the players' body language on the live video if it is offered.

Showing the individual factors of the computer evaluation is pretty sweet though, I'd love to take a shot at programming something like that!

Kinghal

[COMMENT DELETED]

Senchean

This is a horrible idea!  All it's going to do is be a distraction and degrade the game, by not allowing individuals to play at their best.

forrie

xbg: "I am going to cast my vote for "This is a really stupid idea""

1 vote

add mine:

2 votes

any more votes?

xbg

I am going to cast my vote for "This is a really stupid idea"

ChessisGood

I really thought this was an April Fools joke at first, but, if it is, they are really laying it on thick:

I found similar articles on other sites as well.

EternalChess

So if it is actually not an "april fools" joke.. then it is a stupid idea.

Aquinas65

What an extraordinarily stupid idea. Talk about sucking the life out of the game.

MindWalk

Yes, that one caught me, SonofPearl--although I suppose I could blame its posting on 3/31--but really, isn't it just absurd for these fellows to make such proposals? And even if it weren't, who would be interested in the players' blood pressure except their doctors?

SonofPearl

@ MindWalk - I know this article sounds like an April Fool's joke, but it's actually true. Smile My April Fool's Day joke this year was here

BCG1

SonofPearl,

Players should also be hooked up with IVs, catheters and Depends so they will not need to leave the board...ever.

BCG1

MindWalk

SonofPearl: You're not kidding? This isn't an April Fool's joke? Tell us that again tomorrow. I find it hard to believe that anyone would seriously propose such options.

SonofPearl

Just to confirm to those in doubt: This is NOT an April Fools joke! Smile

bigbikefan

I'm sure if the money is right, the players would cooperate with this kind of monitoring during a game. At last someone is willing to invest in chess competition to make it more appealing to spectators.

It would be pity if it were just a joke.

Skaboard

[COMMENT DELETED]

samlowry

Please ask them to sort out the fonts. Those pieces look horrible and the colours make it worse.. The fonts used on this site in the news section (and in chessbase etc) are perfect.