Sergey Karjakin Repeats as Norway Chess Winner

• PeterDoggers
  • on 6/13/14, 11:04 AM.

When he was playing against Anish Giri he didn't expect to finish with 3.0/3, but he did. Sergey Karjakin defeated Fabiano Caruana in the final round in Stavanger to clinch victory yet again at the Norway Chess tournament. Like Karjakin, Magnus Carlsen finished on the same number of points as last year after beating his compatriot Simen Agdestein while Vladimir Kramnik finished on 9th place as he lost to Alexander Grischuk.

Oops, he did it again! Sergey Karjakin won the Norway Chess tournament for the second year in a row, somewhat unexpectedly because of a slow start but deservedly as his main rivals made too many “unforced errors”, as Peter Svidler described it. Karjakin finished on the same number of points as last year, 6.0/9, and so did runner-up Magnus Carlsen: 5.5/9. Alexander Grischuk cemented his world #3 position with an excellent third place in a tournament which he described as “clearly the strongest 10-player tournament ever held.” For Vladimir Kramnik, who finished in 9th place, the tournament was one to quickly forget.

Simen Agdestein and his second Evgeny Romanov arriving for the final round

The first game to end in the final round was Giri vs Svidler, and it was not much of a game: right out of the opening the players repeated the moves. “When you have a nice position without counterplay it's not always that you don't lose!” said Giri, referring to his unfortunate loss against Karjakin. “I don't have any excuses, I am just making up one. I didn't know I wasn't in the mood to fight but somehow I wasn't,” added the Dutch number one.

Topalov and Aronian also split the point, but there things could have gone differently. The Bulgarian finished on a decent 4.5/9 after a bad start (“It looked totally terrible. Not only the way I was losing my games but I was also blundering.”), but that could have been plus one if he had been a bit more alert. Both players missed an idea for White on move 24 that was connected to a knight going from e3 to c2. Backward knight moves can easily be missed!

Aronian explained that he hadn't been in great shape during the tournament. “Generally I was playing badly. I was not feeling 100%. I just had a nose operation and I'm still recovering. The Olympiad is a place where I'm going to have my revenge!”

Then Kramnik went down against his compatriot Grischuk, who seemed under pressure in a Grünfeld and got into time trouble. “Maybe that was what made him go astray,” said Grischuk because as so often, his level didn't really go down with just a few minutes on the clock. Instead, it was Kramnik who started making mistakes. Grischuk: “Better lucky than good!”

And so the tournament got to see an exciting finish with Karjakin defending his half-point lead over Carlsen. The Russian GM was expected to draw his game with Caruana, while Carlsen was building up a nice advantage against Agdestein.

However, the 47-year-old was by no means going to help his compatriot; in fact he was putting up a good defense. Only just before the time control Agdestein started to make a few small errors.

“I don't think I played particularly well, not too disastrous either but I never got going and obviously I missed my chance yesterday,” said Carlsen.

If Karjakin would draw his game, the tournament would be decided in a blitz playoff. The organizers had already put up a chess set in a separate room, but it wasn't necessary. Caruana made a big mistake on move 32 and got into a lost position. It took a while, but eventually Karjakin converted the full point to clinch his second victory in Norway.

“Especially when I was playing Anish I didn't think I would finish with plus three!” said Karjakin, who didn't bring a second to the tournament. His regular second, GM Alexander Motylev, was playing a tournament himself.

“I was doing it alone, which is quite unusual for me. My wife was helping me and my manager was supporting me. That was my team basically. Last year I also came only with her. She is my best second!

During one of the interviews, Karjakin was asked the typical question what he would do with his 100,000 Euro first prize. He said “I don't know,” but his wife Galiya, who was standing closeby, said “I know!”

The players at the closing ceremony | Photo © Chess.com

5 Topalov,Veselin 2772 2774 ½ ½ 0 ½ phpfCo1l0.png ½ ½ 0 1 1 4.5/9 19.50
6 Aronian,Levon 2815 2731 1 0 0 ½ ½ phpfCo1l0.png ½ ½ ½ ½ 4.0/9 18.25
7 Svidler,Peter 2753 2738 ½ ½ ½ 0 ½ ½ phpfCo1l0.png ½ ½ ½ 4.0/9 18.25
8 Giri,Anish 2752 2738 0 ½ ½ ½ 1 ½ ½ phpfCo1l0.png 0 ½ 4.0/9 17.75
9 Kramnik,Vladimir 2783 2735 0 ½ 0 1 0 ½ ½ 1 phpfCo1l0.png ½ 4.0/9 17.00
10 Agdestein,Simen 2628 2711 ½ 0 ½ ½ 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ phpfCo1l0.png 3.5/9

The Norway Chess tournament runs 2-13 June in the Stavanger region. All photos courtesy of the official website | Games via TWIC phpfCo1l0.png

4 votes

Comments

fabelhaft

"You should have not made him equal or above the real GOD"

Beware Judgment Day, when Carlsen will judge the living and the dead, so thou doth not end up among the heathens!

pullin

chessdogblack: Carlsen has been finishing top spots consistently. Lots of great players can finish top 3, top 5.. etc. So one player finishes #1 in this tournament but finishes top 5 next tournament. Carlsen redeems finishing top 3 with a 1st place. He didn't play badly, and he has nothing to be dissapointed about. A bunch of draws and a couple wins, and the points standings just happened to playout with an unbelievable streak of circumstances for karjakin coming all the way from the back of the pack.

Rating this tournament for Carlsen.. it wasn't a loss, it wasn't a total win.. it wasn't a draw.. it was somewhere between a draw and a win. Just played solid and didn't offer a chance to be beaten.

Karjakin and Caruana proved a lot however on a positive for them.

In fact it was a great tournament because every player showed ambition.. Kramnik still has got it, Topalov is still a challenger of the top players, Giri showed potential in the blitz tournament, Grischuk showed he can play longer games against top players, Svidler didn't really lose or gain ground, Agdestein draw 7 straight rounds with a great game against Karjakin. Aronian may have lost some spunk with this as a defeat, but the tables could have turned if he converted against Carlsen in a winning position middle game, so he didn't play badly, just not solidfying his #2 spot, leaving more questions swirling about which young player will be Carlsen's top challenge in the future; however, most certainly Aronian is still the solid #2 player, which makes it silly when you then consider Anand is the #1 contender and shouldn't be written off as former champion, and current contender, and potentially a future contender or champion. His spot is just undefiniable at the moment, because people can't be sure about where he stands.

- end rant.

P_G_M

@Vingore

Carlsen would have won this tournament if Nakamura will have played.

Carlsen always beats Nakamura or better said Nakamura always find a way to lose with Carlsen.

For Carlsen to win a tournament easily he only needs Nakamura to play in that tournament.

CP6033

Vingore well said.

ErwinSachs

Excellent tourney starts today with 1st games tomorrow.

Got to be the most unbelieveable line up for a chess tournement, with many of the Worlds top 100 players competing.

Vingore

Carlsen came in second at this tournament.  He played phenomenally well.  Okay,he did not win first place.  Big deal. He made a mistake and drew a winning position in round 8.  This only shows that he is human, and not perfect. This doesn't negate the fact that he is undeniebly the strongest player in the world.

CP6033

chessdoggblack You cannot deny that Carlsen is currently the best chess player in the world. (#1 ranking by 70 points and a stunning victory at the world championships against the great Vishy is enough to prove that.) +2 in a tournament like this is nothing to scoff at (although his game against Caruana was a bit rough turning a nice position into a difficult to defend one). Karjakin played really well and deserved first even though his wins Giri and with Caruana were not because he played better, still he won them and results are results. But Carlsen also deserved second. No he's not a god, no he's not perfect. No he doesn't win every game or tournament, but you cannot deny that he is the best. I think that in a match only Aronian or Caruana would have good chances. (based on the previous world championship i left Vishy out though he could easily be put in). but what are you trying to prove? Also Carlsen did not lose the Norway chess 2014, he placed second, with decent chances at first (say Karjakin drew/lost or he beat Svidler though neither of them happened). Your just being ridiculous.

Aaronsky72

Chessdoggblack

Wow. I'm serious, seek help. Do you dream about killing Carlsen, do you want to kill all Norwegians? These are questions you really should ask yourself.

We will all pray for you to get better Smile In the meantime you can regale us with commentary on chess. Your obvious chess knowledge will be a great benefit to us all.

fabelhaft

"You and the media told me he was the worlds greatest of all time. What do you expect me to believe? I expect that he should never lose or draw at chess in his lifetime. This is what I expect from Carlsen, and nothing less"

Kasparov, Fischer, Lasker etc of course didn't win every game they played, and neither does Carlsen. But he has won 8 of his last 11 events and been second, 0.5 from first, in the remaining three.

bigbikefan

@Ponomariov: That's a pretty cheap congratulation of yours.

kiloNewton

just WOW!

Aaronsky72

@ Chessdogblack

Yes coming second in the highest ranking 10 man tournament of all time is "Falling facedown on the chessboard".

Carlsen consistently finishes in the top 1 or 2 places which is why he has the highest rating of all time.
    He can't win EVERY tournament.

You might want to seek professional help for your irrational hatred of Carlsen. I'm not trying to be adversarial or insulting here, it's just that if you aspire to be a 'chess reporter' you need to be a bit more objective.
    Also perhaps you could provide some strategic and tactical game analysis as successful chess reporters do.
    Many of us would find that very helpful and interesting.

I wish you the best of luck in your career path.

CP6033

b2b2 Kramnik played within the rules, and if he is not invited next year who cares? let the quality of the tournament drop if the organizers want it to! (assuming this is what your talking about)

wjcsz

hahahahaLaughing

maturner

I think the loser of a game should have the option not to attend the press conference.

b2b2

1.  Norway 2014 - For every action/or lack thereof there is a consequence.  Failure to abide by tournament rules simply means no invitation next year.  In view of Kramnik's result (9th place), it's a no brainer.

2. FIDE World Rapid & Blitz - Disappointed that Dmitry Andreikin, Dominguez Lernier, Anish Giri, Hou Yifan, and Wei Yi will not be playing.  Cash prize for the top 24 places.  ($100 entry fee, $390/room, $100 meal supplement)

Dekker

I actually really don't like chessdoggblack's posts. They are strange, and can't be ignored because half the text is bold. PeterDoggers is the real reporter, delivering quality article after aritcle.

Sahasrara

Sergey is really performing well these days!

Nemo96

Lol look how short Caruana is in that pic

efrenreyes420

I've noticed that abuse of bold font weight varies inversely with the quality of ideas expressed therewith. (e.g. Dennis Rodman's book) :D