That Was The Week That Was?

• SonofPearl
  • on 8/29/12, 3:07 PM.

'The Week In Chess' website and weekly online magazine has been an internet fixture for so long that it seemed that it would go on for ever.

A announcement today by editor Mark Crowther (pictured) has changed all that, and it seems that this invaluable resource for chess news and games may soon no longer exist as we now know it.

It is truly the end of an era.  Thank you Mark, for all your work for the chess community for so many years!

TWIC ANNOUNCEMENT: The Week in Chess website and weekly on-line magazine and game file collecting together the leading games and results is created and edited by Mark Crowther. The London Chess Centre particularly through Malcolm Pein has sponsored and encouraged its production since 1998. This agreement has now come to an end although both sides will continue to cooperate for some time.

"14 years is a very long time in the life of the internet and chess has seen many positive changes. I have been working incredibly hard on the TWIC website and updating the way that the magazine has been compiled since 2009. Whilst I've very much enjoyed increasing the amount of reporting on chess I've been doing, the additional work has also become unsustainable in the long term. I've managed to keep the weekly TWIC magazine games service free for all these years but in this economic climate I've got to look to make the best living I can. I think perhaps there has been the perception that TWIC was a bigger and better financed website than it actually was. A few thousand subscribers would enable TWIC to continue and become better, I will no doubt soon see if there is an appetite for that. It has been frustrating to see the London Chess Centre and myself get relatively little benefit from the production of the magazine while various commercial services have used it as a starting point for their paid for products.

In the end I decided that I needed to take stock and see what direction my working life should take which could even be away from chess and more towards other types of internet site. It could be that I work on many different smaller projects. TWIC will continue in some form at a new address shortly. I must place on record my gratitude to Malcolm Pein for his support over the years and I think I learned quite a bit from him too."

Mark Crowther 29th August 2012

The Week in Chess Facebook Fan Page has been set up for any comments.

Photo: Copyright TWIC.

4 votes

Comments

ChessMarkstheSpot

I'm definitely saddened by this. I've been a lover of TWIC for a long time and always check for new games through Chessbase 11 to add to my databases. Mark has done a great job over the past many years and it is a blow to the chess community to see it go. TWIC will certainly be missed by many. Thank you for all of the hard work.

-Mark

pawngenius

Chess is a bad source of income.

GM LittlePeasant

Oh God this is going to change every one of my Mondays...

etourneau

It is not clear to me, in this announcement, if TWIC is going to continue under a paid subscription model, or if it will stop completely.

SonofPearl

I am amazed that Mark has managed to run TWIC to such a high standard for so long.  The website and magazine must make an enormous amount of time and effort.  Too much, so it seems. Cry

NimzoRoy

This could be a service chess.com could offer, so no need for this week in chess anymore!  sonia2012

Uh-huh: How do YOU know? Pls describe how TWIC has been doing it since you seem to be an expert on the subject.

sonia2012

Estragon

It is the most useful chess resource on the web today, and if offered at a reasonable fee should be able to attract a strong subscriber base.  It's amazing they never tried to do so before.

_valentin_

Sustainability is a very important theme, especially highlighted in the modern world.

If people who use and claim to value given services aren't willing to pay a little bit for those to continue to exist, then these people don't really value those services enough, and consequently will no longer be able to enjoy them (at least not as they used to).  It's a compelling logic: free lunch as such does not exist in the long term anywhere, not in nature and not in human societies.

NimzoRoy

I'd be willing to pay an annual fee for this invaluable service to continue. It's amazing it was available for so long for free. Of course I suppose the vast majorty of players who used this service will be unwilling to pay one dime for it to continue in its current excellent form, which is good news for ChessBase at least - I'll have to start purchasing their "BIG DBs" every other year or so.

IM dpruess

a great service indeed. thanks, Mark!

qixel

oh no !!!  This is how I update my game database :(((((((

billwall

It was alwyas my best source for chess miniatures.

Raymond

Very sad news. It was my only source of games during quite a while.