DID YOU KNOW THAT ???????
One lightning strike can carry enough electricity to power 10 million homes for one month
The average peak power output of a single lightning stroke is about one trillion watts — one terawatt (1012 W), and the stroke lasts for about 30 millionths of a second — 30 microseconds.
Some lightning strikes have caused either numerous fatalities or great damage. The following is a partial list:
· In 1660, lightning struck the gunpowder magazine at Osaka Castle, Japan; the resultant explosion set the castle on fire. In 1665, lightning struck the main tower of the castle and it burned down to the foundation.
· A particularly deadly lightning incident occurred in Brescia, Italy in 1769. Lightning struck the Church of St. Nazaire, igniting the 100 tons of gunpowder in its vaults; the resulting explosion killed 3000 people and destroyed a sixth of the city.
· 1902: A lightning strike damaged the upper section of the Eiffel Tower, requiring the reconstruction of its top
· December 8, 1963: Pan Am Flight 214 crashed as result of a lightning strike, killing all 81 people on board.
· July 12, 1970, the central mast of the Orlunda radio transmitter collapsed after a lightning strike destroyed its basement insulator.
· December 24, 1971: LANSA Flight 508 crashed as a result of lightning in Peru, with 91 people killed.
· November 2, 1994, lightning struck fuel tanks in Dronka, Egypt and caused 469 fatalities.[120
130 views |
127 views |
104 views |
129 views |
90 views |
Back to Top