The Ohio Masters (Open Invitation!)
As many of you know I have complained in the past about the state of chess in the US and now, with the support of the Dayton Chess Club, I have helped organize what I consider to be the ultimate chess tournament format (minus corporate sponsorship).
From Friday July 25th until July 27th the Dayton Chess Club will host the Ohio Masters, a 5 round chess tournament open to all players that will feature a number of new innovations in the American chess circuit.
- A world class playing site. If you have not been to the Dayton Chess Club I highly suggest doing so. Imagine a large two floor building dedicated to chess with a large playing hall, helpful staff, book store, food, lounge with televisons, etc.
- A Generous prize pool; We have done away with class prizes and have 14% prize to player ratio with close to 80% of the entry fees being returned as prizes. This is the absolue best payout to player + entry return for a tournament that I know of.
- Daily chess lectures and workshops by masters and titled players. The details are still being worked out, but suffice to say this chess weekend will be one of the top chess learning experiences for players of all ages in 2014!
- Humane time controls and round times. The rounds will be played at 8pm Friday night, and then 11AM and 5pm each day. Combine this with the faster games times (90 minutes per player with a 5 second delay) and now you will have enough time to explore some of the local attractions and night life.
- The Dayton Celtic Festival will be happening at the same time as the event Within walking distance there will be outdoor bands, vendors and festival. It will be a great place to stroll about, listen to music and perhaps drink a pint or two! https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dayton+Chess+Club,+18+W+5th+St,+Dayton,+OH+45402/111+E+Monument+Ave,+Dayton,+OHemail@example.com,-84.1988768,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x884081537648a0a1:0x6b7ab1c672af2340!2m2!1d-84.191849!2d39.756469!1m5!1m1!1s0x88408159e1be8d41:0xe40efd4df289b941!2m2!1d-84.1899159!2d39.7643203?hl=en Info http://www.daytonlocal.com/events/dayton-celtic-festival.asp
- A high stakes blitz tournament. $40 entry fee, round robin style with the same prize structure as the main event. Need I say more!
I hope to see all of you show up at this unique tournament that embraces players of all levels for a weekend of hardcore chess, fun times and cultural enrichment!
JULY 25-27 First Annual Ohio Masters
TROPHIES PLUS GRAND PRIX POINTS: 30
5-SS, G/90 d5, $3150 b/50 at Dayton Chess Club. If we recieve more than 50 entrants prizes will be increased!
Unique OPEN Format: ONE OPEN SECTION, OPEN TO ALL: 1st 800, 2nd 650, 3rd 500, 4th 450, 5th 300, 6th 250, 7th 200. Trophies top 3 Juniors.
EF: $80 if rec'd by 7/14; then $95. Rounds: 8pm Friday, 11AM/5PM Saturday & Sunday. Blitz Sunday Evening EF $40. (75% returned as prizes)
This event will make for a great learning experience for up & coming players as many strong players from the region are expected. Daily lectures and exhibitions throughout the weekend. Up to two byes permitted, must schedule prior to R3.
OH Grand Prix Event - $3 disc OCA mbrs. Also $3 disc DCC mbrs. Reg. on site Friday 6-7:30 & Saturday for those taking a bye in R1 from 9:30-10:30.
ENTRIES: Dayton Chess Club, 18 West 5th St., Dayton, OH 45402 or register online at DaytonChessclub.com or http://www.ohiochessacademy.com/the-ohio-masters.html
Info: DCC.18W5@sbcglobal.net/. 937-461-6283.