Tactical Fireworks in the Classical Ruy
A theme for three recent OTB wins of mine:
- I notice I have a potential weakness in my position
- I assess the potential weakness and decide it is defensible, so I take only the bare minimum precautions to protect it.
- My opponent sees the potential weakness and attacks prematurely.
- My opponent's pieces are lost in the ensuing complications, because I was not nearly as weak as I looked
- I win with my superior material in a fairly straightforward finish
(By the way, in the final position, computer finds mate in 12. I probably would have taken more moves, but hey, I will take the pragmatic rather than purist route)