Chess Bughouse Strategy
#1 KING SAFETY COMES FIRST, Everything Else Comes Second
- Avoid leaving any hole in your position
- Never castle unless absolutely necessary
- Put your queen close to your king
#2: COMMUNICATION IS THE KEY
- What pieces do you need?
- Are you attacking or defending?
- Should I trade queens?
Sometimes pieces exchange can hurt or even checkmate your partner, that’s why you must often take a quick look at your partner's board.
#3: INIATIVE IS VERY IMPORTANT
- A common saying is "As long as he's in check, I'm winning".
- Attacking is much easier than defending, the one who gets an attack is much more likely to win.
- In bughouse, you shouldn’t instant recapture especially if you have a full set of pieces in your hand, use the tempo you have and create a threat to the king.
#4: TIME MANAGEMENT
Being up on time is crucial in bughouse to have more control over the coming trades and decisions on the board. Why?
Because a partner can sit and wait for a piece. If you can just wait a few moments for your partner to get you the right pieces, you may win the game very quickly.