ACC Ladder game 2/9/18 (W. vs. Demetrio Aragon) 30/90 SD/60 d/5 1/2-1/2
Feb 9, 2018, 10:04 PM 0
For some reason, i cannot add Coach Nazi's comments. But basically, in our lesson on Thursday, she was able to show me that my play in this game has five mistakes in it:
(1) on move 16, the bishop should go back to g2. It usually stays on the square anyone in the Catalan, usually for a good part of the game.
(2) on move 18, I should have played d5, opening up the center when my opponent's pieces are uncoordinated and I am ahead in development.
(3) on move 19, c5 is NOT the way to go! Closing the position shows I am misunderstanding the demands of the position. The position needs to be opened up to take advantage of my opponent's poor piece placement. Not turned into a sort of Stonewall Dutch.
(4) on move 24, for some strange reason I do not take advantage of my chance to win the exchange with Nxf8. I gave my move an exclam. It deserves (this is me talking, not Nazi) a ? I still don't know how I missed this.
(5) She loved my first positional exchange sacrifice, Rxe4!?, saying Petrosian himself would have smiled. This made my day!
(6) on move 28, I throw away the win with Bxe8. The proper move was Be2 with Bd3 to follow, setting up a battery on the h7 square. "When you sacrifice for position, you should keep all your remaining pieces on the board."