I was examining some of my old articles from my chess site, as things often get lost in the shuffle - and in the years.
I came across this picture that I thought was worth sharing -
This is a chess set.
It was fabricated from a meager allowance of rye bread.
A Jewish prisoner at the Auschwitz camp made it expressly for one of his SS guards.
He attempted to make the brown King, who led the German side, resemble Adolf Hitler.
- Hitler became chancellor of Germany in 1933.
- In 1934 he became Fuehrer and Reich Chancellor.
- So, the Nazi Party was in charge from 1933 through 1945.
- During that time 400 decrees against Jews were issued.
- In one of the first decrees, issued on July 19,1933,
Jews were expelled from the German Chess Union