Patience Young Padawan
In working through Smyslov's Endgame Virtuoso, I played a "Guess the Next Move" type game where I wrote down what I thought he would play, and compared it to the game.
As always, it revealed much sublime touch by Smyslov in his delicate care and plans.
Page 64: Neikirch-Smyslov Munich Olympiad 1958 0-1
- Noticing the immobility of the White Rook with 27. ... Bd7
- The prophylactic 39. ... Be8 which doesn't get into a race with Black
- The multi purpose 43. ... g5 which fixes the weakness and activates Bishop. This is in contrast to my blunder where I thought I had a skewer to liquidate and force an exchange, but failed to see and interposition.
- The fixing of the h3 pawn via 48. ... h5 and h4
- The importance of the distant passed pawn in tying up the opponent with 51. ... a4
- Making the opponent's King worse before initiating exchanges with 54. ... Rb5+
- Cutting off the enemy King with 57. ... Rd3