Keep Calm. Play Creative Chess!
Today is the first day of my book review of Creative Chess by Amatzi Avni, and today I'll be going over Creativity in Chess!Avni notes "In the process of creation, four central stages can be identified and differentiated." He examines a game between Fischer & Sherwin USA (ch) 1957.
(not sure if I did this part correctly) Take a look:
A major obstacle to creativity in chess is conformity: the inclination to be in the mainstream, to behave and act according to prevailing norms, and the fear of being regarded as a deviant. Be a deviant. Be a divergent thinker. Don't prevail to the norms, or do the same ole same ole just because it works. Doing this limits your own creativity, and you will not learn creativity being safe. You will lose many games during this process, and your rating may suffer some too, but the important thing to remember is your creativity will be enhanced.
Avni goes over ten central concepts to creativity:
1. Unusual positioning of pieces: Sophisticated utilization of the corner squares; placing pieces in passive positions based on long term considerations; strategical retreat in chess.
2. Unusual functioning of pieces: employment of 'heavy' pieces for 'light' task; unconventional development of pieces; use of king's potential as an attacking piece.
3. Flexibility: open to change: ready to deviate from original plan.
4. Goal-Oriented Thinking: long term planning;
5. Removal of your own pieces: recognizing the situations where you have to get rid of your own pieces and not those of your opponent.
6.Reducing the importance of the time element: designing an carrying out long-term plans of unavoidable
7. Alertness to subtle differences: diagnosis of minor and subtle changes in the positioning of pieces
8. Continuing calculation in a state of uncertainty: tendency not to aceept things as self-evident, probing and double checking
9. Violation of theoretical principles: voluntarily entering pin, intentional weakening of pieces, and giving up castling rights... YES all these lead to creativity!!!
10. Absurd moves: Exploring which moves appears to contradict chess logic, placing pieces in undefended pieces, material sacrifice, purposefully entering check!!
(Avni, 1991 p. 4)
I want to encourage everyone to be creative and go outside the normal, safe, and usual patterns of behavior in chess you play and try something different! You may learn something.
Keep Calm Create Chess