Jan Gustafsson, Loek van Wely and Lawrence Trent will play non-stop banter blitz for 72 hours from Monday to Thursday. Each star name will play in eight-hour shifts, so if you’ve ever wanted to play some blitz games against a grandmaster or international master now’s your chance! In particular, Lawrence will be doing the “graveyard shift” from midnight to 8am each day, so feel free to take advantage of a sleep-deprived IM to get your IM Killer badge.
It’s 9 months since our last Banterthon extravaganza so it’s about time some star players get to test their endurance/sanity again. This time Dutch no. 2 and former world Top 10 player Loek van Wely joins the tried and tested duo of Jan Gustafsson and Lawrence Trent.
The schedule looks as follows (all times here are CEST), though we’ll see if our players can keep to such a neat and tidy plan:
Monday 27 March
Tuesday 28 March
Wednesday 29 March
Thursday 30 March
In his last Banter Blitz, Jan talked about the challenge ahead:
Who knows, by the end of the 72 hours Jan may have learned how to pronounce “thon”
How do I play the three-headed Banterthon monster?
1) Go Premium (if you’re not already) – it’s only $/€9.99 a month or $/€99.00 for 12 months and gives you access to all our video series, unlimited use of the Tactics Trainer and much more. It also means we can keep putting on shows like this one!
2) Go to one of the shows on our live video page, e.g. Banterthon with Jan – Day 1
3) Hover over the Banterthon name just below the video on the right
4) In the pop-up click on “Challenge me!” – this button will be dark blue and clickable when the account is online
5) Choose your time control and click “Challenge” – 5-minute blitz is probably standard, but over the 72 hours the players will no doubt experiment with more options!
6) Wait to be picked – unless you unchecked “Automatically jump to game” the game should start up automatically
7) Crush the professional!
Please be patient and don’t badger the players with requests for games. They’ll see a lot of challenges, but the nature of the Banterthon is that absolutely everybody should be able to get a game. Good luck!