My first thorough game analysis
Okay. . . so hopefully my game analysis is more in depth than my analysis of the fish who hooked me in this picture. . . He was clearly thinking several moves ahead!
To help see the flaws in my reasoning, this analysis is done in three stages: 1. what I was thinking at the time, 2. my personal analysis of my play and alternatives after the game, 3. computer analysis and its comparison to my play.
1: My in-game thoughts:
2: My post-game thoughts
3: With computer analysis
Okay. . . as I've tried to post this several times, each attempt wasting 20 minutes of my time, I will just summarize the computer differences from my analysis here.
1. Move 3 and 4 were fine, despite my debate. . . though the computer doesn't usually place many inaccuracies in the first few opening moves; it is possible there are more solid lines, but this one was fine.
2. Castling on move 6 was an inaccuracy, but only by 0.18 pawns by computer analysis. . . I think castling here at my level is fine, as I could not really justify the difference.
3. move 7, d4 is superior to Be6; I had debated it, but I couldn't see the continuation during the game, so I played Be6. It is pretty subtle, but leads to Black having even less space than in our game
4. Move 13 and 14 would have been better in the reverse order, as it does not rely on my opponent making mistakes to gain a pawn (surely I wouldn't have gained a piece, but it was still the better play)
5. Move 19 (h6) was an inaccuracy, but it was only a fraction of a pawn, where I was up ~8.5 pawns still; not as big a deal as I imagined
6. Move 20, Bc5? I missed this entirely. I didn't see the defense of my pawn, so I just gave it up. Clearly Bd6 would have had both the pawn and the bishop protected, completed my other plans, and made white's rook completely useless.
7. Move 23. I missed the better pawn capture; Qxb2 would have covered my knight square (for my exchange) while protecting my b pawn.
8. At Move 30, I could have easily just marched my f-pawn up the board and mated on g2. No harm done though, as I'm completely winning at this point.