Dr. Ludwig Erdmann Bledow (1795-1846) was a German professor of mathematics (PhD). He founded the first German chess association, Berliner Schachgesellschaft, in 1827. He was the first person to suggest an international chess tournament (in a letter to von der Lasa in 1843). In 1846, he founded of the first German magazine, Deutsche Schachzeitung. He was the founder of the German Pleiades (Bledow, von der Lasa, Bilguer, Hanstein, and Horwitz). He was a chess book collector. When he died, he had over 14,000 volumes of chess books, the largest private chess library in the world. The library became part of the Royal Library in Berlin.