The first telegraph match was played between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore in November, 1844, linked by the first American telegraph. In 1845, Staunton and Hugh Kennedy, playing from Gosport, Portsmouth Harbor, played two telegraph games against Evans, Perigal, Tucket, and Walker in London. The first international telegraph chess game was played in 1862 between Hugh Kennedy and Serafino Dubois. During the London international tournament, a telegraphic match between London and Paris had been planned. Due to disagreements with the French government, the telegraphic match did not take place. Thus, the organizing committee of the London tournament arranged a telegraphic match between the St. James Hall Chess Club and the London Chess Club.