x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Interesting Chess960 FRC books

Hi all, please feel free to include here any books you have read or you think they will be interesting for us to read.

• Shall We Play Fischerandom Chess? by Svetozar Gligoric

Shall We Play Fischerandom Chess? (Batsford Chess Books)

REVIEW:  

Play Stronger Chess by Examining Chess960: Usable Strategies of Fischer Random Chess DiscoveredBOOK PREVIEW

REVIEW:

• Fischer-Random-Schach (FRC/Chess960): Die revolutionäre Zukunft des Schachspiels (inkl. Computerschach) by Reinhard Scharnagl [only German language available]

Fischer-Random-Schach (FRC/Chess960): Die revolutionäre Zukunft des Schachspiels (inkl. Computerschach)

REVIEW: (No review)

• Fischer Random Chess Openings by Jan H van Niekerk [only e-book available]

[vista en miniatura de portada]

• Mastering Fischer Random Chess by Jan H van Niekerk [only e-book available]

• Fischer Random Chess Starting Positions by Jan H van Niekerk [only e-book available]

I am currently reading the first and probably one of the most recommended 960chess related books:

Shall We Play Fischerandom Chess? (Batsford Chess Books)

by Svetozar Gligoric

Another book that I haven't read, but it is in line with the primary goal of this group is:

Play Stronger Chess by Examining Chess960: Usable Strategies of Fischer Random Chess Discovered

by Gene Milener

I've read Milener's book. It has some useful ideas for playing FRC, but I felt too much of the book was about things besides playing FRC: different numbering methods for the starting positions, different notation systems, showing similarities in Chess and FRC midgames. Not that this was useless information, but it wasn't what I was looking for when I bought the book.

ichabod801 wrote:

I've read Milener's book. It has some useful ideas for playing FRC, but I felt too much of the book was about things besides playing FRC: different numbering methods for the starting positions, different notation systems, showing similarities in Chess and FRC midgames. Not that this was useless information, but it wasn't what I was looking for when I bought the book.

thanks for your review.. :)

I was considering that book to be my next assets... but I will try to find another one as soon as I finish with Glicoric's

Any of you know other good books? (about 960chess)

As far as I know there is only one GM written book about Chess960. It is Gligoric's book. I've read some parts of this book and frankly I'm a bit disappointed. I was expecting more philosophical point of view. I'm quite sure there will be more C960 books for the next 10 years. The problem is Chess960 is really large,,, if there is something 1,000 books about standard chess openings,,, there should be about 1,000 x 960 = 960,000 opening books for Chess960. I don't expect too much middlegame books,,, but there will be books about opening to middle game transpositions (this is the most important subject).

miriskra wrote:

As far as I know there is only one GM written book about Chess960. It is Gligoric's book. I've read some parts of this book and frankly I'm a bit disappointed. I was expecting more philosophical point of view. I'm quite sure there will be more C960 books for the next 10 years. The problem is Chess960 is really large,,, if there is something 1,000 books about standard chess openings,,, there should be about 1,000 x 960 = 960,000 opening books for Chess960. I don't expect too much middlegame books,,, but there will be books about opening to middle game transpositions (this is the most important subject).

Yes, you are completely right. This is really important to work with. Clearly the main differences from FRC to regular chess are the stages from the opening into the middlegame. This is something I would like to work with here in this group. I know there is nothing about it yet and it might be a job for years, but we can create the most complete DB and basic instructions for each SP first moves. (I know that there is nothing like that so far)

I have started working with it here (check the forums) and anyone willing to support or cooperate with it is more than welcome! :)

Any of you know whether this great book is available in another language (Apart from German):

Fischer-Random-Schach (FRC/Chess960): Die revolutionäre Zukunft des Schachspiels (inkl. Computerschach) (Taschenbuch)

von Reinhard Scharnagl

ISBN-10: 3833413220 ISBN-13: 978-3833413223
    kokino wrote:

I am currently reading the first and probably one of the most recommended 960chess related books:

Shall We Play Fischerandom Chess? (Batsford Chess Books)  by Svetozar Gligoric

What is needed is one person who has truly read both Gligoric's book and my FRC book. So far this thread has people who have read only one or the other.

Yes the first half of my book does not focus on the board positions or setups etc. But the second half does.

To anyone here on this forum, I ask you honestly whether anything in Gligorics Fischerandom book says anything at all about Fischerandom?  All I see is a few lightly annotated games where the annotations are barely different than for traditional chess; and an inappropriately long-winded explanation of FRC castling. The rest is about the history of chess, about Bobby Fischer, about improvements in chess clocks, about some other chess variants (Capablanca's ideas are well known), and about some 1990's shuffle chess games where they accidently violated the setup rules for FRC meaning they were not FRC games. This all might be interesting stuff, but it touches FRC in only the barest fleeting tangential way.

To Ichabod801 I would say that additional chess960 technical/tactical ideas I discussed, such as the differences in "knight opposition" and "king fort design" and "Reuben Fine's famous nine opening principles of chess", should be of direct interest to FRC. Entire traditional chess books have been devoted to attacking the two or three king fort (castled king defenses) that are so common in traditional chess. But in FRC pieces now often constitute the king fort barriers, and this has major implications for king side attacks when both colors have castled to the same wing. Knight opposition is inherently reduced in many FRC setups, compared to the traditional setup. This has major implications for everything knight-related during the opening. Fine's opening principles do not mention the rook, but any such list of principles in chess960 surely would. It is time to play some non-standard setups and develop the missing principle.

Thank you.

If the book writter comes here personally to defend his works I have to admit that it is worthy to give it a chance.. Smile 

As soon as I finish with the Glicoric's will buy yours to have a personal opinion about it.

Thanks for your comment, you have completely a point here: so far, nobody on this threat seems to have read both books so it is not fair to compare them.

Keep track of this forum, maybe you can receive more feeback soon.

kokino wrote:

Any of you know whether this great book is available in another language (Apart from German):

Fischer-Random-Schach (FRC/Chess960): Die revolutionäre Zukunft des Schachspiels (inkl. Computerschach) (Taschenbuch)

von Reinhard Scharnagl

ISBN-10: 3833413220 ISBN-13: 978-3833413223

I have not read Mr. Scharnagl's book, because I am unable to speak or read German. However, I can provide you all with the following very rough/messy translation of the TABLE OF CONTENTS from Mr. Scharnagl's book:

(Page Number:  ,  Description)

5: Table of Contents
    Remarks
    Target Group
    Utilizable Worth
    Chapter
    Small Preface

11: Birth
    Robert James Fischer
    Birth Place
    Pre-history
    Attention and Designation
    Alternative of Chess960
    Further (?) FullChess
    Variant Name Fischerandom
    A Call for Tolerance
    18: FRC Regulations
    Compatibility
    Start Position List
    Extended Castling
    Special Castling Types
    (?)
    (?) Computer
    22: From the number to the start position
    (?) 960 Calculated
    Derivation of one start position
    24: Drawing of Positions
    Important Note
    Practical Bags Method (from the Author)
    Equivalent (analog from H.L.Bodlaender)
    Production by Pocket Calculators and Book
    Production by (?)
    Production by Piece-Shuffler
    Production by Computer
    29: Presentation of FRC Enlarged
    Necessary Castling Information
    Point-Marked Castling Powers

32: Motivation for FRC
    Historical Resuscitation Attempts
    Arab Impatience
    Italian Revolution
    Gambit Plays
    Modifications
    Grotesque (?)
    Shuffle Chess
    Fischer Random Chess
    37: (?) Chance for Little-Since-Holder
    More Released Play -(?)- grew
    Chances are Rising

38: Masters Play FRC
    Mainz CC Fischer Random 2001
    Mickey Adams - Peter Leko
    44: Official World New Chess Association 2003
    Peter Svidler - Peter Leko
    (?) Part

58: Ask Approximately for the FRC
    Alternative Shuffle Chess
    (?)
    (?)
    60: Arguments Approximately
    Too Complicated
    Monument Fall
    Theory Murder
    Player Affront
    Resource (?)
    Anti-(?)
    Material Criticism
    64: Pseudo-FRC
    (?) Principle
    Pseudo-FRC Tournament
    (?) FRC
    (?)
    66: The King Does Not Jump
    Castling Rule Interpretation
    Classical Period Creates Clarity
    (?) King
    69: Castling and Symmetries
    Some Irritations
    Back to the Roots
    More Than One Variant
    Differently Colored Bishops
    Asymmetrische Start Positions
    Convergence in the Central Play
    One Round Thing
    73: One Castling Dilemma
    One Discovery
    One Must Decide
    Everything As Had

75: New Organization
    (?)
    Initial Position
    Aims of the Federation
    Executive Committee team
    Considering Times Pattern
    (?) WNCA (?)

78: FRC and Computer Chess
    Computer Chess (?)
    Principle of a Fair Race
    Proposal for Authors
    Single Exceptional Case Analysis-(?)
    80: Advanced FRC-FEN Encoding (from the Author)
    Standard FEN Specification
    Advanced FRC-FEN Specification
    FRC-FEN at 10x8 Capablanca Random Chess
    84: FRC in the UCI Protocol
    UCI Protocol
    Principle of Minimalization
    FRC-FEN Support
    Pure FRC Engine
    Opening Encoding
    Special UCI Option
    Harvest Tolerance
    Role for the Graphical User Interface (GUI)
    87: FRC (?) GUI and Engines
    Universal Arena GUI
    Existing FRC Engines

89: Swell and Tables
    FRC Start Positions
    Table of 960 Start Positions
    Table of 18 Full Castling Compatible Positions
    102: WNCA Statistics
    Taken into Account Events (as of 2004)
    Current World Rank List (as of 2004)
    111: Source Directory
    Lierature List
    Recommended Internet Sites (as of 2004)
    Recommended Internet Forums including FRC
    Other Internet Forums
    113: Sponsor and Challenger
    A Warm Thank You
    Hans-Walter Schmitt
    Frank Quisinsky
    Chess E. Niggemann
    114: Frankfurt Chess Tigers

THE END

__  __  __  __  _

Gene Milener
    [email protected]

http://www.CastleLong.com/

Play Stronger Chess by Examining Chess960
    - (publ Jan 2006, available on Amazon.com)

ISBN 10: 0-9774521-0-7
    ISBN 13: 978-0977452101

'"Reuben Fine's famous nine opening principles of chess", should be of direct interest to FRC. [...] Fine's opening principles do not mention the rook, but any such list of principles in chess960 surely would.'

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Fine's 'Ideas Behind the Chess Openings' mentions ten 'practical rules' in Ch.1 'General Principles'. Is that what you mean? If so, the sixth rule is 'Castle as soon as possible...', which is a Rook move as well as a King move. - Mark

Online Now