Forums

Winter Dog #2 Championship: (Marks1420 v comradm)

Sort:
Marks1420

null

This is the final of the Winter Dog #2.  Information on the tournament can be found here.

@Marks1420 has white, @comradm has black. Good luck!

null

Marks1420

1. e4

Marks1420

BattleChessGN18

Phew! Well, honest to God, it was about time. (The long-waiting champions of this tournament have finally reached their final match.)

Best of luck to both players. happy.png

comradM

GL

1... g6

@Dromina/BattleChess: Thank you for your interest in this game and your kind words

comradM

Time warning 

Marks1420

1. d4

BattleChessGN18

@ComradM Of course! My interest is in this whole tournament. I am greatly eager to see the champion of it. grin.png

@Marks1420

1.d4

I think you meant 2.d4. 

comradM
@Marks1420
1.d4

I think you meant 2.d4.

Hm, Marks didn't waste any word to clarify this point. In the most probably case that he wanted to play 2.d4, my answer is

2... Wi8-g7

comradM

Time warning

comradM

@Marks1420: After the time warning, you didn't make a move for nearly 25 hours. According to the rules, 24 hours after not responding to a time warning, your opponent can claim a win. And so I do. Since the rules are invented to be applied, I feel free to apply them, want to stop the game at this point and claim a win

Marks1420

Ugh, looks like I forgot. You win. :\

captaintugwash

For clarity, Marks' "1. d4" instead of "2. d4" is a legally binding move, since it was a legal move. Numbering the move incorrectly doesn't matter. If you make an error and it's not a legal move (perhaps 2. d5), you're free to correct the error and make any legal move. 

And yes, that was a perfectly valid time warning and claim. Good win!

comradM

Thx for this comment, tug. If someone has doubts because the win was by timeout: at the moment I have no active games, and am ready to give Marks a revanche. Of course,  you tug can challenge me too, you need only 8 rating points to break the all-time-record and my rating should now be high enough to bring you this 8 points if you win.

The only probs are, that I would need a mod, and that I avoid desinterested/slow opponents. If you (or someone else) can manage to make a move in the normal correspondece time of 3 days, or at least to send a message if special circumstances make this impossible, he/she can challenge me to a game of Bulldog Chess.

captaintugwash

Thanks but I'm too busy to take on new games at the moment, I'm struggling to find time with the one game I have. I'm pretty slow at the best of times, particularly slow recently. Probably best you find a faster opponent because I'll likely frustrate you.

BattleChessGN18

Sorry to complicate the waters, gentlemen:

Don't you get a maximum of 4 time warnings, according to the latest correspondence rules?

captaintugwash

You still have to respond to a time warning within 24 hours.

BattleChessGN18

My response here is old and ill-timed, but for what worth it still holds,

captaintugwash wrote:

For clarity, Marks' "1. d4" instead of "2. d4" is a legally binding move, since it was a legal move. Numbering the move incorrectly doesn't matter. If you make an error and it's not a legal move (perhaps 2. d5), you're free to correct the error and make any legal move. 

Marks already made his 1. move. It was 1.e4. "2.d4" was my correcting his numbered move: it was his 2nd move, not his first.

Also, victory was claimed a long time ago, and I'm assuming there's not reversing it. However, if one responds within 24 hours, he/she might as well make a move, so what would be the point in the 4 time warnings rule in the first place?

comradM

Only after the first 3 time warnings, the slow player has this 24 h to respond. In the fourth time, the fast player doesn't need to warn at all, but can immediately claim a win.

It is understandable that you were looking forward to an exciting game and are now a bit disappointed.  But the idea that my victory should be subsequently reverted is incomprehensible. It was a victory under the existing rules, and who doesn't agree with them, can request to change them. To eliminate remaining doubts: if you are ready to moderate, I give everybody here the chance to be the first who was able to beat me, or at least to draw