Forums

Dubrovnik Reproduction Accuracy

Sort:
DesperateKingWalk
magictwanger wrote:

Listen DKW....I get your point and see what you mean. Based on the photos I agree with you,but what do you want to get out of it?

Some tiny minutiae of a piece isn't exactly like something that seems to be the original. Is Noj supposed to offer an apology,or change a perfectly lovely set?

Are the many happy owners going to suddenly get less pleasure from owning a set like this?

Or,are you just happy to be correct about an itty bitty detail,which means nothing in the real world?

You're right! OK?

Why are you blaming me for the thread. And the pictures. grin

They asked for the pictures, and I was more then happy to provide. This is what you wanted!

I'll bite... and try to save a thread..

IMO, NOJ does the most accurate and highest quality reproduction.

Powderdigit

The world gets weirder and weirder … and meanwhile, I’m pathetic enough to be disappointed at a finial breaking on a repro King! Alas, my world has not ended and there are bigger issues at play. 😊

magictwanger

Ha! Reminds me of my old College Fraternity....Nobody played chess.We were too busy chasing girls.

lighthouse
Powderdigit wrote:

The world gets weirder and weirder … and meanwhile, I’m pathetic enough to be disappointed at a finial breaking on a repro King! Alas, my world has not ended and there are bigger issues at play. 😊

I think most of us would be  Powderdigit , still this video get's lost on me , Seems like some strange male bonding going on . grin

felonet
I will say SC makes a fantastic Dubrovnik 1950 and easily rivals NOJ. I can’t say it beats NOJ because I read everyone raving about the fit and finish, but for the price I think it wins out. It’s very very good and although it contains a few minor discrepancies - given the price they are more than tolerable. Specifically the king and queen bases feel slightly bulky imo, and maybe the queens crown is a bit Staunton-ish. Everything else is perfect IMO and I also think the Knight rendition surpasses NOJ. I bought my set unweighted from Mandeep and I love it.
DesperateKingWalk
felonet wrote:
I will say SC makes a fantastic Dubrovnik 1950 and easily rivals NOJ. I can’t say it beats NOJ because I read everyone raving about the fit and finish, but for the price I think it wins out. It’s very very good and although it contains a few minor discrepancies - given the price they are more than tolerable. Specifically the king and queen bases feel slightly bulky imo, and maybe the queens crown is a bit Staunton-ish. Everything else is perfect IMO and I also think the Knight rendition surpasses NOJ. I bought my set unweighted from Mandeep and I love it.

Be careful the NOJ Mob are not interested in other opinions. But only in trying to crush all dissent...evil

They are a very silly and entertaining bunch.

NOJ cultist after seeing Staunton Castle vs NOJ comparison photos.

magictwanger

I bought two outstanding S.C. sets a few months ago....Hallett and Ceska Klubovka pieces.

At the time I think I mentioned they were just about at the pinnacle of perfection within what I own. The communications and speed of delivery,as well as packaging were about as good as anyone could want.....Nobody has a negative "mob" mentality against being critical of Noj....Fine to do so,but to continually beat the drum is something I don't get.

Btw,my Noj Tal pieces are clearly superior in craftsmanship to my S.C. gems,which are "really,really good"!

It just "is"!

Drawgood

I have a question for anybody here who is knowledgeable about origins of chess design. We know that Dubrovnik design is popular and it first appeared at the IX Chess Olympiad.

But, another similar design that is popular is the design people refer to as "Zagreb". I have seen claims that it was in introduced at some olympiad in Bled. However, I searched and searched to find pictures which could verify this and I cannot find a single picture.

So, is it true that "Zagreb" design many of us have seen is not a historic design from any chess olympiad but rather a design made by someone in the 90s and that it did not appear at any historic chess event?

DesperateKingWalk
magictwanger wrote:

I bought two outstanding S.C. sets a few months ago....Hallett and Ceska Klubovka pieces.

At the time I think I mentioned they were just about at the pinnacle of perfection within what I own. The communications and speed of delivery,as well as packaging were about as good as anyone could want.....Nobody has a negative "mob" mentality against being critical of Noj....Fine to do so,but to continually beat the drum is something I don't get.

Btw,my Noj Tal pieces are clearly superior in craftsmanship to my S.C. gems,which are "really,really good"!

It just "is"!

Who again started this thread? And why.... Who got upset when pointing out rightly that NOJ was over priced and over hyped. Who complains about a thread started by the NOJ MOB discussing the reproduction accuracy of the Dubrovnik. After showing comparison photos of Staunton Castle vs NOJ requested by the NOJ Mob.

The NOJ Mob!!

lighthouse
BrianErdelyi wrote:

@desperateKingWalk We have a whole thread to discuss accuracies of various Dubrovnik reproductions. No more hijacking other topics. This is our time to shine!

I'm not saying we go full APA style guide (but it wouldn't hurt). Provide links directly to images you are finding online (don't just upload a photo or say xyz.com and tell us to find it). Include details about the source such as who took it and when. Mark up the photos to hi light differences so we can discuss.

I am not far from real 1950 Dubrovniks and would be willing to make a weekend train trip with my set to take photos. This is my level of dedication! I've travelled to the British Museum in London to see the Lewis chess set and the Elgin Marbles (the inspiration for Nathaniel Cooke's knight design). Here's my post about it: https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/parthenon-horse-head-lewis-chessmen-and-maoi. I've been to the Louvre in Paris to see other greek horse statues to see if they might have been the inspiration for Nathaniel Cooke (here's my post about it https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/horse-head-at-the-louvre).

If you don't want to play thats fine. If you do... we might learn something and maybe help explain to others what makes a 1950 Dubrovnik so special or different.

I am not far from real 1950 Dubrovniks and would be willing to make a weekend train trip with my set to take photos. BrianErdelyi ,

Would be nice, to now see your input on this thread & your photographs of this real set ? along with your remake by Noj , As you are the OP .wink

DesperateKingWalk
lighthouse wrote:
BrianErdelyi wrote:

@desperateKingWalk We have a whole thread to discuss accuracies of various Dubrovnik reproductions. No more hijacking other topics. This is our time to shine!

I'm not saying we go full APA style guide (but it wouldn't hurt). Provide links directly to images you are finding online (don't just upload a photo or say xyz.com and tell us to find it). Include details about the source such as who took it and when. Mark up the photos to hi light differences so we can discuss.

I am not far from real 1950 Dubrovniks and would be willing to make a weekend train trip with my set to take photos. This is my level of dedication! I've travelled to the British Museum in London to see the Lewis chess set and the Elgin Marbles (the inspiration for Nathaniel Cooke's knight design). Here's my post about it: https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/parthenon-horse-head-lewis-chessmen-and-maoi. I've been to the Louvre in Paris to see other greek horse statues to see if they might have been the inspiration for Nathaniel Cooke (here's my post about it https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/horse-head-at-the-louvre).

If you don't want to play thats fine. If you do... we might learn something and maybe help explain to others what makes a 1950 Dubrovnik so special or different.

I am not far from real 1950 Dubrovniks and would be willing to make a weekend train trip with my set to take photos. BrianErdelyi ,

Would be nice, to now see your input on this thread & your photographs of this real set ? along with your remake by Noj , As you are the OP .

No noj Mob action going on here. The whole thread as stated was setup to counter my comment about noj. That noj was over priced and over hyped.

As the noj Mob stated openly..."This is our time to shine."

And it blew up in their face....

The photo comparison does not lie.

mjeman

Veering off-topic:

@Drawgood: design people refer to as "Zagreb". I have seen claims that it was in introduced at some olympiad in Bled. However, I searched and searched to find pictures which could verify this and I cannot find a single picture

Web folklore says the Frank Camaratta, founder of HoS, created the zagreb design.

HoS: The design of the Zagreb '59 Chess set is an adaptation (emphasis mine) of the most popular Chess set used at major international Chess tournaments throughout the 1950s and 1960s, most notably the World Championship Candidates Match that was held in Bied, Zagreb in 1959. https://www.houseofstaunton.com/the-zagreb-59-series-chess-pieces-3-875-king.html

Photo showing that the set used is not what we know as the zagreb design, but somewhat similar: http://chessreview.co.uk/i/1959-bled/keres-fischer.jpg from http://chessreview.co.uk/tournaments/1950-59/1959-candidates/

lighthouse
DesperateKingWalk wrote:
lighthouse wrote:
BrianErdelyi wrote:

Would be nice, to now see your input on this thread & your photographs of this real set ? along with your remake by Noj , As you are the OP .

No noj Mob action going on here. The whole thread as stated was setup to counter my comment about noj. That noj was over priced and over hyped.

It's getting like lord of the flies on here grin

They Broke My Glasses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TabNBDP679U

lighthouse

The Noj history is different to what the Dubrovnik Cultural History Museum is on the 1950's

Dubrovnik chess set ?

This is the history on Noj website of the 1950's set ....................

https://www.dubrovnikchessmen.com/chessmen-design-evolution.html

Nations Tournament: The 9th Chess Olympiad in Dubrovnik in 1950

The exhibition has been produced by Dubrovnik Museums, Cultural History Museum.

20.08.2020 - 15.11.2020

The exhibition presents objects from the 9th Chess Olympiad, which was held from August 19th to September 11th 1950 in the premises of the Art Gallery in Dubrovnik.

https://www.dumus.hr/en/cultural-history-museum/exhibition/nations-tournament-the-9th-chess-olympiad-in-dubrovnik-in-1950/

Note

The chess pieces were designed by the well known artist Andrija Maurović and were made in the workshop of the master craftsman Vjekoslav Jakopović in Zagreb. Later, replicas of these pieces were made in both wood and plastic.

Now this is the Noj /gang / fan boy's / History...............................................

BrianErdelyi
 5 days ago 
0 #1 
I'll bite... and try to save a thread..

IMO, NOJ does the most accurate and highest quality reproduction of Pero Pocek's original chess set designed for the IX Chess Olympiad in Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia (present day Croatia). I say this for a few reasons:

NOJ is carving these pieces in Ljubljana, Slovenia (formerly Yugoslavia) with the same traditions, techniques and materials used in the original set
NOJ had physical access to the VERY rare to find original chess sets from the IX Chess Olympiad in order to make their reproduction. In fact, the set used by NOJ is the same set used in a Fischer-Spaasky rematch.
Because of the rarity of the original (50 known sets?), I suspect most sets sold today did not have access to an original set to create their reproduction. Was it reproduced from images? Perhaps it was reproduced from NOJ's (imitation is the greatest form of flattery, right?). Or perhaps it was not intended to be a reproduction and is intended to be "inspired by" the original or is itself a derivative work.
NOJ also creates, a chess set called Dubrovnik II that was designed by Andrija Maurovic as a derivative work of the original Pocek design. This is NOT a reproduction of Maurovic's design, rather it is an original as NOJ has permission from the copyright owner to make these chess sets and also uses Maurovic's original blueprints. Anything else is just a an unauthorized copy.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So I will go with , The Dubrovnik Cultural History Museum.

who would have curated + researched the right information + documents while putting this exhibition on display 20.08.2020 - 15.11.2020

Not fiction from facts or fantasies or illusion / also there is a thread / post on the forum to who had the copyright to Maurovic's design & it's not Noj will try to find it .

Eyechess
DesperateKingWalk wrote:
lighthouse wrote:
BrianErdelyi wrote:

You are apparently assuming the intention of others, and that is not nice and wrong of you.

Very few disagree with you about the price being too high, including me.

The only hype that I can see is those on here saying the Noj quality is very high, including me.

It may very well be your opinion that you find the pieces ugly. But most posting here do not agree, including me.

Have you ever handled and physically inspected a Noj set? I bet not.

I have said and continue to say the side perspective of the pieces do look not so nice. But I have pointed out the look of the sets are different and better when looking at them from a player’s perspective at the board. Yes, this is my opinion and it is correct.

I own 3 Dubrovnik II sets, a Minceta set, a Best Chessmen Ever set, and the GM Pavasovic set all made by Noj.

I can objectively tell you that their workmanship and materials are of the highest quality. My Minceta set is my favorite of theirs with the GM Pavasovic set being a very close second.

I bought my sets before the prices became ridiculously high.

If asked today, I would gladly say there are other sets on the market I would get instead of their brand, except for the Minceta and GM Pavasovic set.

magictwanger

I totally agree with Eyechess! Also, DesperateKingWalk.....I don't think you are a bad guy,even though you are quick with then name calling,like you did to me on a different thread....Not very nice.

I do think you are passionate about your thoughts and impressions of various chess related paraphernalia. However,just don't be so quick to start with the name calling(like Noj mob,"clown" called to me in the past, or Mafia)....It diminshes the virtues of your arguements and makes you look small.

Some of your input is actually quite interesting,if you keep it polite. The vast majority of folks here are reasonable and very nice people.

thepatriotbraveheart

Well said @magictwanger! 👍🏻 Currently I have 3 Dubrovniks, SC’s 1950, CB’s V3.0 and RCM’s 1950 unweighted (in antique and mahogany distressed color), I love them all, BUT I am still very excited with the arrival (hopefully soon) of my 2 new Noj Dubrovniks, the 1950 and Minceta 👌🏻