American Media Silent on Caruana

gbidari

I thought an American playing for the title of World Chess Champion was worth covering but the major networks including their websites have largely ignored it, presumably thinking Americans wouldn't be interested. I disagree, I think a lot of news watchers in the states would think it's pretty cool.

notmtwain
gbidari wrote:

I thought an American playing for the title of World Chess Champion was worth covering but the major networks including their websites have largely ignored it, presumably thinking Americans wouldn't be interested. I disagree, I think a lot of news watchers in the states would think it's pretty cool.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/our-first-chess-world-champion-caruana-could-cement-st-louis-chess-capital-week#stream/0

null

gbidari

@notmtwain: We can't even agree on reality? You finding an article from St. Louis public radio doesn't refute that the American media has largely ignored it. Sure, an isolated story here and there but we're not getting updates from any of the major networks. If you need proof, try this: Ask people who regularly follow the news who aren't in the chess world if they know about it.

tipish

now for the right reason....

notmtwain
gbidari wrote:

@notmtwain: We can't even agree on reality? You finding an article from St. Louis public radio doesn't refute that the American media has largely ignored it. Sure, an isolated story here and there but we're not getting updates from any of the major networks. If you need proof, try this: Ask people who regularly follow the news who aren't in the chess world if they know about it.

I agree there wasn't a lot of coverage but American media wasn't silent. There were also articles in Time, Newsweek, Forbes, the New York Times, etc.

I thought that the NPR article was interesting.  The effort to bring the world championship to St. Louis seems promising and would certainly offer better conditions to spectators than occurred in London.

DanlsTheMan

TV media?

Go to your closest 10 neighbors, ask if anyone in the household plays chess regularly. The number of people who don't play chess will be the majority and the ones changing the channel. Many of the chess players would probably lose interest in a short while as well.

TV time is expensive. How much does the average chess player spend on chess annually? Compare that to golf or pool/billiards.

quadibloc

A Canadian television network has finally found the World Chess Championship important enough to mention, now that it's produced its final result:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/chess-championship-carlsen-1.4924121

I suppose, from what the article says, and from this thread, it's a good thing Carlsen won: the chess craze in Norway will continue, while Caruana would have had no chance of igniting one in the United States.

madratter7
The result made google news.
DamonevicSmithlov

CBS had a reporter there today asking questions at the press conference. That's mainstream.

lfPatriotGames

On Good Morning America there was a story about a really big cow in Australia that didn't go to the butcher, another story about how people sometimes dont delete all their information from their phones when they get rid of them, and another story about the backlash after a woman used makeup to make herself look darker or more African American.  I dont think this world chess championship has much chance of competing with those stories.

brianchesscake

probably because Caruana isn't really American. if Sam Shankland was the challenger then people would be cheering in the streets waving flags, drinking beer, driving their pickup trucks, and shooting bullets at clouds.

notmtwain
brianchesscake wrote:

probably because Caruana isn't really American. if Sam Shankland was the challenger then people would be cheering in the streets waving flags, drinking beer, driving their pickup trucks, and shooting bullets at clouds.

Caruana was born in Miami. He is a real American.

quadibloc
notmtwain wrote:
brianchesscake wrote:

probably because Caruana isn't really American. if Sam Shankland was the challenger then people would be cheering in the streets waving flags, drinking beer, driving their pickup trucks, and shooting bullets at clouds.

Caruana was born in Miami. He is a real American.

Yes, he certainly is. But he's an American of Italian descent, instead of an American of British descent, and that would probably matter to the kind of people who drive pickup trucks and drink beer and fire weapons irresponsibly.

And aside from ethnic bigotry, the fact that Fabiano Caruana looks a little bit on the nerdy side, while Sam Shankland is of a muscular and athletic build like Carlsen might encourage the press to pay some attention to America's "unlikely" Chess Grandmaster.

Also, Bobby Fischer was Jewish, after all, so instead of focusing on Fabiano Caruana's roots, perhaps what would have caused the media to focus on his challenge to Magnus Carlsen would be if, as I've joked before, Norway had invaded Estonia. Norway is one of America's NATO allies, not a hostile country, so there is no real Cold War-style drama to provide a larger context to the game.

RonaldJosephCote

  The OP knows chess well but he doesn't know the news business. The U.S. is in terrible shape. We have an atrocious President.......numerous storms & floods have hit us recently........Calif fires killed dozens......the humongous opioid addition......we're still fighting a war......General Motors is laying off 15,000 workers, and you want us to give a shit about a game like the super bowl or the world series. Its just not THAT important enough to put it in the top 10 stories. Sorry....this isn't the 1960's.  Member "FaceCrusher" from the thread....."Magnus Drawgnus" said, "the world is watching". meh.png No....I'm sorry.....the world IS NOT watching. They too are patching themselves up from a lot of problems that are more important than a game. You enjoy games during prosperous times. Who's prospering now?......the people of Venezuela?......the people in England with Brexit?.......the people in Ukraine with Russian ships firing on them?.......the Mexicans with the drug cartels?

IMBacon

The news media is not interested in reporting news anymore.  It is now their job to induce fear mongering, strife, bickering, and lies, and anything related to the kardashians.

stiggling
quadibloc wrote:
notmtwain wrote:

Caruana was born in Miami. He is a real American.

Yes, he certainly is. But he's an American of Italian descent, instead of an American of British descent, and that would probably matter to the kind of people who drive pickup trucks and drink beer and fire weapons irresponsibly.

 

stiggling
IMBacon wrote:

The news media is not interested in reporting news anymore.  It is now their job to induce fear mongering, strife, bickering, and lies, and anything related to the kardashians.

It took them a long time, but the other networks finally figured out what made Fox News the #1 entertainment "news" industry in America for the last 16 years, but yes, you describe them perfectly.

Other than the things you list, like fear, it's important to never introduce an idea that wouldn't fit on a bumper sticker or that couldn't be understood by a 10 year old.

IMBacon
stiggling wrote:
IMBacon wrote:

The news media is not interested in reporting news anymore.  It is now their job to induce fear mongering, strife, bickering, and lies, and anything related to the kardashians.

It took them a long time, but the other networks finally figured out what made Fox News the #1 entertainment "news" industry in America for the last 16 years, but yes, you describe them perfectly.

Other than the things you list, like fear, it's important to never introduce an idea that wouldn't fit on a bumper sticker or that couldn't be understood by a 10 year old.

Goes right along with the study from a few year ago that proved goldfish have a longer attention span than humans.  I remember wayyy back in the day when espn had to cut their clips down to something like 20 seconds, because their studies had shown people lost focus after 20 seconds.

madratter7

IMBacon, please shorten your sentences. They are hard to understand. tongue.png wink.png

JohnHS
brianchesscake wrote:

probably because Caruana isn't really American. if Sam Shankland was the challenger then people would be cheering in the streets waving flags, drinking beer, driving their pickup trucks, and shooting bullets at clouds.

I have yet to meet an American who hates people of Italian descent.  And I live in a rodeo town.

Actually, I find it somewhat amusing that you call other people racist and then proceed to stereotype a nationality as "waving flags, drinking beer, driving their pickup trucks, and shooting bullets at clouds."  Seems kind of hypocritical ... just sayin'. wink.png