Sports Illustrated "Long Live the Queen" 2019 Article about Lisa Lane

SeniorPatzer

I have a gift subscription to Sports Illustrated.  Most times I don't even read it.  I just happened to glance through today's issue that came in the mail because I watched the National College Football Championship this past Monday between Alabama and Clemson.   (And Clemson smashed!)

Anyways, was just reading through the table of contents and there was an article about Chess!  About Lisa Lane (whom I only knew about recently because of Batgirl).  Oh my goodness, it was a terrific article with wonderful black-and-white photos.  The retelling of history was just engrossing, and its main purpose was to highlight the pay inequity in sports between men and women.  With all the Title IX stuff currently going on, and the never-ending Feminist movement from the 60's and 70's about Equal Pay for Equal Work (which I've never met anyone who disagreed with that), I understand the reasoning.  

Here was an eye-popper from the article.  In 1963 Lisa Lane qualified for the U.S. Women's team in the Chess Olympiad.  But she got passed over because she couldn't pay her way!!  The other women on the chess team could pay their way, so USCF selected those women!  Moreover, I'm sure the men's chess team didn't have to pay their way to go to the biennial Chess Olympiad.  Now that's a solid argument that there was financial sexism going on in chess.  

I know that was the purpose of SI's story, but what I really enjoyed were the photos that captured the era and history of chess back then.  There was a photo of Lisa Lane and Bobby Fischer and Lisa Lane was wearing a dress with the money she won from that fish Bobby Fischer in Poker, lol!!

"Hey Bobby, you say you can spot me knight odds in chess, uh?  Well, pay up in poker, sucker!!"

Lisa Lane has really got a good story.  I'm paraphrasing from the article.  She learned to play chess in her late teens, and then got obsessively hooked.  And then in 1959 she won the US Women's Championship when she was 21!    Is that nuts or what?  

Moreover, she was not well-educated, nor did she come from a moneyed family, or even a middle-class family.  She never knew her dad.  And she and her mom and sister boarded with several families while growing up.  She dropped out of high school, and worked several jobs to make ends meet.  

But what really was the differentiating factor was this:  She was Attractive!  A looker.  A babe.  (On a sidenote.  With all the PC outrage about Sexism, Racism, etc..., I never hear anything about Uglyism or Looksism.  And I suspect there's discrimination towards people who (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) are not attractive.)

Quoting Lisa Lane:  "I didn't really think about the connection between my looks and my chess, except that it got attention."

"People will be attracted to the game by a young, pretty girl.  That's why chess should support me.  I'm bringing it publicity, and ultimately, money."

It was a fine article and continued on with Susan Polgar and Hou YiFan and the change in FIDE's Women's World Championship format.  Highly recommended.

IMBacon

Thanks Gru!

SeniorPatzer

I have to include this quote.  "I get a lot of love letters from other chess players," she told the New York Times.  "I read them, I laugh, and then I file them.  Letters from grandmasters go on top."

IMBacon
SeniorPatzer wrote:

I have to include this quote.  "I get a lot of love letters from other chess players," she told the New York Times.  "I read them, I laugh, and then I file them.  Letters from grandmasters go on top."

Nice!

Coffee_Player

@SeniorPatzer - thank you! Lisa Lane (Marianne Elizabeth Lane Hickey) caught my attention thanks to excellent article by batgirl (Sarah Beth).

SeniorPatzer
IMBacon wrote:
SeniorPatzer wrote:

I have to include this quote.  "I get a lot of love letters from other chess players," she told the New York Times.  "I read them, I laugh, and then I file them.  Letters from grandmasters go on top."

Nice!

 

It's funny.  I know the purpose of the article is to rectify the money disparity between male and female competitors.  So I'm supposed to feel sympathy for the cause.  And I do.

But who I really feel sorry for, and I'm just being real so don't crucify me for this, ...  I feel sorry for the ugly girl/women chess players!!  Okay, ugly is a harsh word, but you get my drift.  But crud, get the elephant on the table.  LOOKS MATTER.  If she didn't look attractive, she'd never have been a story.

Let me be candid.  When I watch a video stream with Anna Rudolf, I like it!  She's very easy on the eyes, has a very nice smile with the reddest lipstick, and her accented English is adorable.  And I'm still able to pay attention to the chess strategy and tactics that she's teaching me!

You get another woman who's not attractive on that video stream, and it's highly likely that I won't want to watch.  

Does that make it right?  No, not in the least!  But I'm just saying it how it is.

IMBacon
SeniorPatzer wrote:
IMBacon wrote:
SeniorPatzer wrote:

I have to include this quote.  "I get a lot of love letters from other chess players," she told the New York Times.  "I read them, I laugh, and then I file them.  Letters from grandmasters go on top."

Nice!

 

It's funny.  I know the purpose of the article is to rectify the money disparity between male and female competitors.  So I'm supposed to feel sympathy for the cause.  And I do.

But who I really feel sorry for, and I'm just being real so don't crucify me for this, ...  I feel sorry for the ugly girl/women chess players!!  Okay, ugly is a harsh word, but you get my drift.  But crud, get the elephant on the table.  LOOKS MATTER.  If she didn't look attractive, she'd never have been a story.

Let me be candid.  When I watch a video stream with Anna Rudolf, I like it!  She's very easy on the eyes, has a very nice smile with the reddest lipstick, and her accented English is adorable.  And I'm still able to pay attention to the chess strategy and tactics that she's teaching me!

You get another woman who's not attractive on that video stream, and it's highly likely that I won't want to watch.  

Does that make it right?  No, not in the least!  But I'm just saying it how it is.

The entire reason i watched the world championship match on chess24 was for Anish Giri's wife.

IMBacon

Do i watch the live telecast for Seirawans excellent analysis?  No

Do i watch it for Maurice Ashley repeating what an engine says? No

Do i watch because of Jennifer Shahade?  You betcha!

 

SeniorPatzer
IMBacon wrote:

Do i watch the live telecast for Seirawans excellent analysis?  No

Do i watch it for Maurice Ashley repeating what an engine says? No

Do i watch because of Jennifer Shahade?  You betcha!

 

The entire reason i watched the world championship match on chess24 was for Anish Giri's wife.

 

I appreciate your candor, sir.  Looks like I opened a can of worms, lol.  Come one, come all and confess your sins of lust on this thread.

IMBacon
SeniorPatzer wrote:
IMBacon wrote:

Do i watch the live telecast for Seirawans excellent analysis?  No

Do i watch it for Maurice Ashley repeating what an engine says? No

Do i watch because of Jennifer Shahade?  You betcha!

 

The entire reason i watched the world championship match on chess24 was for Anish Giri's wife.

 

I appreciate your candor, sir.  Looks like I opened a can of worms, lol.  Come one, come all and confess your sins of lust on this thread.

Im not talking about anything lewd.  She just made watching the commentary, more enjoyable.  Peter Svidler is a beast commentator,

BillGateHoangSon
Hello
Acroduster

If more people wanted to watch women’s sports then they would get paid more like the men. Easy as that. Aside from that, how many articles has SA done on male chess players in their span? 

SeniorPatzer
Acroduster wrote:

If more people wanted to watch women’s sports then they would get paid more like the men. Easy as that. Aside from that, how many articles has SA done on male chess players in their span? 

 

I think most people understand that.

But you would probably agree that asking Lisa Lane to pay her way to play in the Women's Chess Olympiad while funding the men's expenses is grossly inequitable, yes?

david
Coffee_Player wrote:

@SeniorPatzer - thank you! Lisa Lane (Marianne Elizabeth Lane Hickey) caught my attention thanks to excellent article by batgirl (Sarah Beth).

@MikeKlein also wrote about Lisa Lane and this particular issue recently: https://www.chess.com/news/view/can-you-name-the-first-chess-player-on-the-cover-of-sports-illustrated

colaloc

ok thanks

Thee_Ghostess_Lola

https://www.si.com/vault/issue/70987/45

A wonderful article a long time ago about Yasser Seirawan in the Sports Illustrated.

SeniorPatzer

Wonderful article about Yaz.  Thanks Ghostess Lola.

Coffee_Player

Have tried to read the article about Yasser Seirawan in the Sports Illustrated and got flashed by warning message. Went out scared to death cry.png

omaritsulaia

Interesting article.

Pawn355

Interesting life.