1851 Reproduction Staunton Chessmen by The Official Staunton Chess Company

goodknightmike

Here is a pictorial review of The Official Staunton Chess Company's fabulous 1851 Boxwood and Ebonised (black finish) Reproduction Chessmen. Kings measure 4.4" in height. The Knight carvings are amazing. The finely turned pieces look like vinatge Jaques pieces. See my other forum for Official Staunton's Antiqued Boxwood version of their 1851 Chessmen.  And my other posts on Official Staunton's brigade of reproduction chessmen including their  1849, 1851 and 1870 sets along with the Fischer Spassky 72' Series Chessmen. 

http://www.officialstaunton.com/collections/chess-pieces/products/1851-reproduction-staunton-chessmen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuxqyosOqG0

goodknightmike

More pics

xoda

what glorious set; cannot be much to improve now!

IpswichMatt

I like that board too, what board is it ?

goodknightmike
xoda wrote:

what glorious set; cannot be much to improve now!

Thanks Xoda, Indeed a fabulous set!

goodknightmike
IpswichMatt wrote:

I like that board too, what board is it ?

Thanks, this is a chess table I found in an antique furniture store around 10 years ago. Here's the link to my post on chess tables:

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/post-your-chess-tables

IpswichMatt

Quite envious of that. Do you know what sort of woods it is made from?

That set is remarkably similar to mine, but now I want a new board!

Jack_Burton

The Rook on these sets from Official Staunton is the impressive piece to me.  Very few sets have maintained the simplistic, nearly sewing spool look of the old Rooks.  But they've done it.

goodknightmike
IpswichMatt wrote:

Quite envious of that. Do you know what sort of woods it is made from?

That set is remarkably similar to mine, but now I want a new board!

Sorry I don't know the specific woods used, but the squares and boarder look  like types of burl

magictwanger

Oh c'mon! Talk about a picture saying a thousand words.....Wowza!

That's only one,but you get the point.

Many6Packs

Holy Cow!

Really terrific!

Love the pronounced dimples ( ? ) in the knights

The King the way they  fashioned the diagonals  but kept the sides square, my favorite!

Really Great Mike, and if any of the jealousy tools here need to be reminded.

It's yours, you bought it!

Animaitor

Absolutely stunning Knights!!! They really capture the Greek sculptures the original carvers based their inspiration from. And for some reason I also love the Bishops. The rest are well carved and match the Jaques chessmen as well. Te set is no longer available on the Official Stauton. Is there anyway to purchase this same set?

Mohan_Kumar_Chess

I don't even knew whether I like or hate those huge mitre of the bishops. I can't even choose. 😂So strange. I have a strange, inconclusive feeling when I think of the bishops mitre. 

EZY1981

Animaitor wrote:

Absolutely stunning Knights!!! They really capture the Greek sculptures the original carvers based their inspiration from. And for some reason I also love the Bishops. The rest are well carved and match the Jaques chessmen as well. Te set is no longer available on the Official Stauton. Is there anyway to purchase this same set?

We have a new version of 1851 soon to be released over the next few weeks

EZY1981

After 4 years since launching the first version of 1851- below is the latest and final instalment happy.png 

available in approx 2 weeks at Official Staunton. 

Many6Packs

This is probably over simplifying but,

WOW! that is cool looking!