1940's Soviet Tournament Weighted Chess Set

goodknightmike

Today a fabulous 1940's Soviet Tournament Weighted Set arrived from the Ukraine.  Kings measure 4 3/8" in height with Pawns just over 2 1/8" in height. The slender finely turned  wide base pieces are a visual pleasure. The knights are much better carved than those found  in most other Soviet sets.  Please check out the really nice unique King's finials. I have never seen any other Soviet set with this type finial. I have supplied may pictures of this gorgeous set for your perusal. 

goodknightmike

Part 2

goodknightmike

Part 3

magictwanger

Truly stunning! Thanks for posting such a fine set.-happy.png

AKovyazin

Very nice!

goodknightmike
magictwanger wrote:

Truly stunning! Thanks for posting such a fine set.-

You're welcome Mark

goodknightmike
AKovyazin wrote:

Very nice!

Thanks AKovyazin

verylate

Very striking set of pieces. I especially like those spires on the Ks

goodknightmike
verylate wrote:

Very striking set of pieces. I especially like those spires on the Ks

Thanks verylate, Im glad you like the set

Impractical
Exceptionally good looking set 😁
btickler

Never have liked the swapping of the colors of accessorized bits wink.png...it's like a bad graphic designer who uses horrible fonts and animated GIFs on a website...garish and unnecessary.

goodknightmike
Impractical wrote:
Exceptionally good looking set 😁

Thanks NM Impractical, I'm glad you like it

Ronbo710

VERY sharp!! Almost like Sea Horse Knights happy.png.  I like the extra turning of the Bishop's collars. 

goodknightmike
Ronbo710 wrote:

VERY sharp!! Almost like Sea Horse Knights .  I like the extra turning of the Bishop's collars. 

Thanks Ron. yeah those Knights have a "sea horse" appearance. I have a vintage Bortvinnik-Flohr II set arriving soon with "goose neck" Knights.   Agreed, the Bishop turnings are pleasing.  

joenightshade

What a beautiful set! Nice photography!

goodknightmike
joenightshade wrote:

What a beautiful set! Nice photography!

Thanks for the compliment Joe,  glad you liked the set

lukef240

Sorry for being a bit late to the party (been away from all things internet for a few days), but I just have to say "Wow!" This set is simply gorgeous, Mike. Thank you for sharing!

magictwanger

The set is absolutely stunning!....I was considering the CB Russian repro(similar) but not going to happen.I like "This style" far better!

goodknightmike
lukef240 wrote:

Sorry for being a bit late to the party (been away from all things internet for a few days), but I just have to say "Wow!" This set is simply gorgeous, Mike. Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome Luke, I'm glad you enjoyed it

goodknightmike
magictwanger wrote:

The set is absolutely stunning!....I was considering the CB Russian repro(similar) but not going to happen.I like "This style" far better!

Thanks Twanger!