Beautiful Specimen of the Iconic 1960 Soviet Grandmaster Set

cgrau

Here is a first generation Soviet Grandmaster set circa 1960, acquired through that preeminent dealer of Soviet chess equipment Yurii Kuznetsov, Traces of Time SU on Etsy. Most heavily weighted Soviet set in my collection. 11.4 cm tall kings. Original wooden knights. Massive bases on the rooks, reminiscent of those in the Tal set. An exquisite specimen of one of the most iconic sets of all time.

null

cgrau

null

cgrau

null

cgrau

null

cgrau

null

null

cgrau

null

cgrau

null

null

cgrau

null

cgrau

null

null

cgrau

null

null

cgrau

null

cgrau

null

 

Variations among pieces of the same type within a set is common in hand-turned Soviet sets.

 

null

cgrau

null

null

cgrau

null

Rsava

Lovely, Chuck simply lovely. Some very unique pieces, the Rooks and Knights stand out. 

 

Please do not stop showing these sets, I thoroughly enjoy each pictorial. 

liml

Do you mind sharing the cost since Yuri does not seem to advertise this?

cgrau
liml wrote:

Do you mind sharing the cost since Yuri does not seem to advertise this?

This was a reserved sale, and I'd prefer to keep the financial terms private. Yurii currently is offering a similar set something less than $400. https://www.etsy.com/listing/621606043/vintage-rare-original-soviet-grandmaster?ref=hp_rv

null

 

cgrau
Rsava wrote:

Lovely, Chuck simply lovely. Some very unique pieces, the Rooks and Knights stand out. 

 

Please do not stop showing these sets, I thoroughly enjoy each pictorial. 

Many thanks, Richard! I'll do my best to keep the reviews coming.

informaticacobach29

That's a real beautiful set, Chuck!

Your collection is getting more impressive, congratulations my friend!

cgrau
informaticacobach29 wrote:

That's a real beautiful set, Chuck!

Your collection is getting more impressive, congratulations my friend!

Thanks, Manuel! My collection wouldn't be what it is without your help!