Forums

**Best Chess Tactics Book?**

Sort:
AAA117

I have looked through the forums trying to find an answer to this question but couldn't, so here it is: Which book is best for becoming a better tactical chess player?

By chess book I mean a book that teaches, not a book full of puzzles with explinations at the end.

CrecyWar

Chess Tactics by Littlewood is good. Only problem is the price on Amazon has gone rediculouly high. They must have stopped publication and now everyone is holding on to their copies and thus there are very few for sale. I looked the other day and there were not one copy on eBay and only a few on Amazon for ...get this, over $100 for a used copy.

Next try this with 4.9 stars-hard to get that on Amazon.com

Conflagration_Planet
CrecyWar wrote:

Chess Tactics by Littlewood is good. Only problem is the price on Amazon has gone rediculouly high. They must have stopped publication and now everyone is holding on to their copies and thus there are very few for sale. I looked the other day and there were not one copy on eBay and only a few on Amazon for ...get this, over $100 for a used copy.

That does sound like a good one.

stwils
Understanding chess tactics by Weteschnik is great and everything is explained. Stwils.
Bardu
Try Ward Farnsworth's Predator at the Chessboard. You can check it out at chesstactics.org
OldCrusader
The Complete Book of Chess Strategy by IM Jeremy Silman is very good. As is James Eade's very graphical The Chess Players Bible.
posporov051560

Forcing Chess Moves by Charles Hertan

MCBeaker

Books have to appropriate to the readers level. Dan Heisman has a list ordered by skill on his web site.

I started with "Winning Chess Tactics" by Seirawan and am now studying "Understanding Chess Tactics" by Weteschnik. This 2nd book is more "scientific" in its approach, breaking tactics types down to their component parts (3 for a pin, 4 for discovered attacks) and explains the role each plays. Very good, but not recommened as a 1st book on tactics for complete beginners.

xzarkos

improve your chess tactics i think a really nice book

elb1996

Not all about tactics but really helps you get better at chess. I recommend the book "My System" by Aron Nimzowitsch

Link to order: http://www.amazon.com/My-System-Totally-Principles-Classics/dp/9197600539/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325611587&sr=1-1

Phelon

The book thats worked really well for me is 303 tricky chess tactics by Bruce Albertson and Fred Reinfeld. I've gotten to 2750 in tactics trainer so Im not complaining ^^.

Metastable
Phelon wrote:

The book thats worked really well for me is 303 tricky chess tactics by Bruce Albertson and Fred Reinfeld. I've gotten to 2750 in tactics trainer so Im not complaining ^^.

Holy crap!! And I was excited to break 1400 last week!

simaopereira
Conflagration_Planet wrote:
CrecyWar wrote:

That does sound like a good one.

Ahahah what a bunch of cocks... DOWNLOAD, do u know what this means?